1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DS not walking yet

Discussion in 'Infants' started by asha_karthik, Jul 5, 2010.

1. asha_karthik

asha_karthik Silver IL'ite

DH always says when i am done with something, i start thinking what next to worry about. Maybe true. Now, DS would be 1 in 1 weeks time. He has not started walking yet.

he stands with support. Now my worry is not only about his walking. But his legs are very thin & look weak (background - he had excellent weight gain till about 6 months age, then deteriorated and started getting slightly better after he was treated for eosinophilia and mild UTI - not 3 times his birth weight yet). He still hasn't gained enough confidence to stand up holding, say, a wall or other flat surfaces. He stands holding a chair (and even pushes it from wall to wall) or other uneven surfaces where he can have a good hold. He started sitting on his own & crawled before he turned 6m. but all these 6 months afterwards, he just seems to be happy crawling around. Though am not bothered about comments as such, there are many who have commented that his legs look weak, which is very true.

Have any of you faced this? I have already raised a concern earlier that he did not place his knee firm-enough on the ground when he started crawling. He manages with the same pattern, but started crawling faster later.

Other developments seem normal;

Ladies - should i worry? or take some steps in getting him assessed? any home remedies? pl help !

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010

2. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

asha, i am not an experienced momma here, but i want to talk about whatever happened to my sis.
    my sis and i have an age gap of 16 yrs(so she is more or less like a baby to me)....she was a late child and a "precious baby"
    ever since she was born she weighed on the lower side , and her legs, as u described looked weak. she started to walk at 17 months, and talk only at 2 yrs. she hardly ever babbled till then.
    today shes healthy , and a very NORMAL baby. full of energy, and zeal to do just about anything and everything.dancing is her fav hobby :)
    i am sure everything is just fine with ur bub, but if i were u i wld still talk to his pedi and be reassured.:)

by the way DH of urs and mine say the same thing, i too am considered a worrisome momma...

3. asha_karthik

thank you very much poonam. thats reassuring. i did talk to his pedi.. in fact talking on the same subject in every visit ever since i had this question about his crawling. since i was nagging her a lot, she suggested getting an assessment done at 1 year (thats a routine with all her patients). we will get it done sometime soon. but am not too sure what an assessment will bring out in his case (i just want to see his legs healthier). any special massages help?

his other developments are just fine. he has started talking a few specific words; imitates most of our actions; understands few instructions.

on the other hand, he is very scared when he is made to stand unsupported.. tries to get hold of our shirt, shoulders and falls down. same when we make him stand holding a flat surface.

4. loonypooh

loonypooh Silver IL'ite

nothing asha, infact my mom was working full time and she was at daycare since her 4th month. but once she turned 1, we kept a maid, and i used to take care of her at home. she just got better with time, she was one of those weak babies... maybs since she was a late child, my mom was 43 wen she conceived her!!
    she was given calcium and iron supplements though, but my ignorant mom had put her on cows milk since day 1 of her birth. so maybe thats why.she was also anaemic and maybe hence the supplements. i guess general assessment should help

also i just read this........

If you're concerned about your child's late walking, the first step is a medical examination, including a neurological examination and an assessment of joint flexibility, range of motion, and muscle strength. The doctor will take other developmental issues into account, too.
    "Late walking doesn't usually come out of the blue," Adesman says. "A child who walked late probably also sat late and crawled late — it's probably not the first missed milestone you'd notice." For this reason, your doctor will probably look at your child's walking in the context of other skills and try to figure out where he is on the continuum of motor development.

i am pretty sure 1 yr is way too early to think otherwise

Last edited: Jul 5, 2010
  5. Aadhusmom

Aadhusmom Gold IL'ite

Asha - frank and forthright opinion - dont worry :) Honestly - if he isnt standing for a few seconds on his own by 15 months and walking by 18 months then you start worrying, not now. And the size of the leg has no corelation to walking skill or development. Massages do not make children walk any eariler.

V.

6. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

hey, you know kiran's story. did not stand up till 11 months and did not walk till 16 months. Makes no difference. Dairy-free, no calc supplementing then,etc. But we did do massages every night at that point mainly because I felt it helped him sleep better.

7. revathib

revathib Bronze IL'ite

Hi Asha,

Dont worry yaar, even my son was underweight and very lean legs... but trust me after 6-7 months u cant even make your kid stand for a minute... this happens to my son they will take a late pick up.. once they start only on the high gear.:biglaugh.. no stop... so dont pay much attention to this just leave him... Enjoy the time with him

Revathi

8. asha_karthik

thank you Poonam, V, Krithika, Revathi

Poonam - DS was anaemic too when we did his blood test 3 months back.. but then his eisnophilic count was so high then that doc said we could put him on iron supplement a little later, and we did do a course of it after his eis reduced. now i am giving him only natural iron; we cannot do another blood work just to check his iron. but it could quite be true that his iron levels are still low if he has taken after his mommy. (side note - so sweet of you to have taken care of your little sis).

V - you paeds talk alike :). mine said exactly the same, that massages dont help with walking. any clue.. he hasn't got his teeth too. but both upper and lower ones are ready to come out anytime (and this for a long time too).

krithika - i knew i ll hear something like that from you. thank you..

revathi - thank you. looks like this fellow isn't too bothered about walking, probably coz he finds crawling to be much faster than walking. not really worried, but these 6 months of silence after his last milestone is only nagging my mind.

9. Young@heart

Young@heart Silver IL'ite

Hi Asha,

I will say the same as everybody....nothing to worry as of now. You should give him some more time...
    There is one boy (January 2009 born) in my building who started walking a week back . So that makes it walking at 18 months.

And regarding teething, both my children started teething at 15 months! I was also worried and the dentist told me " Have you seen anybody who doesnot have teeth?"

Now also, DS's classmates' have got their permanent ones whereas DS's one tooth came out recently. But this time I am not worried..
    And you too shouldnot be right now.
    All the best,
    Regards,
    Payal

10. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Hi Asha

I am not experienced. But, a few incidents ...

- My sister (being 7 yrs younger to me) did not stand until she was 1.25 years and did not walk till 1.5 years. I remember everyone asking on her Ayush-homam why the kid is not able to stand. She did not talk until she was 2 yrs and my mom even took her to a speech therapist.

- Recently ...my neighbours son stoop up at 1.5 years and immediately started walking.

COOL COOL