1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

DS has lotsaa hair, how to dry quickly after a hair wash?

Discussion in 'Infants' started by Vishalini3, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

All,
    I am finding it really difficult. Takes almost 5-7mins to wipe with a quick absorbent cotton cloth.
    Hair dryers, some exp mommies told me they wud bring in those dry white flakes in their scalp. So havent tried that till now. I wash him in the traditional south indian style. Any suggestions on how i dry his hair quickly?
    TIA.

2. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi Pon,

There is no easy method atleast which I know of plus you cannot keep the fan on after the hair wash immediately. In case your baby has thick growth, its advisable that you wash twice a week. My DD does has scanty hair but I wash only twice a week.

3. msm

msm Gold IL'ite

Even my daughter had very less hair so didn't face this problem. But now she has got very thick hair and after every hair wash this is the trouble I'm going through. If I dry the hair very tightly she feels the pain if not she might get cold. I'm just thinking of using the Kitchen paper towels to put over the hair so that it absorbs the water quickly, you may want to try and see if that helps...

4. RekhaViju

RekhaViju Bronze IL'ite

My daughter also has lots of hair.Our midwife told us to put a hat after drying.

5. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Pon,

As Lee said,give him a bath twice a week.As it is rainy season too ,cold there ,just dry and cover as you were mentioning in the other thread.

6. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

Pon, I face the same problem. I wash her hair every alternate day. But seeing the rains, I give more gap between the washes now. I apply little powder (J&J baby powder) in the centre of the scalp (soft spot) so that excess water there is absorbed (else it may cause cold). For the hair at the back, I put her on my shoulders and wipe with a cotton towel walking under the fan. I do not use dryers

7. VidyaaJ

VidyaaJ Silver IL'ite

ramya, dont apply j n j powder over the head... we did that initially and now seeing the skin is just peeling off from the softspot area...and stopped it after that.. we get rasanadi chooranam from medimex.. if u r really comfortable, use that powder.. it heps in absorbing the excess water..i was using that on her.. but now it is not needed as she has very less hair..it dries off immediately...

Pon u can also try that if u r ok in using that...

Vidyaa

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Because you guys use cloth diapers, use an Indian prefold wrapped around the head... The moisture gets quickly wicked away from the hair.
    -sd

Mom to a hairy kid :)

p.s. I kept a couple of prefolds expressly for this purpose.

9. SwamiBlessUsAll

SwamiBlessUsAll Senior IL'ite

We use a space heater while bathing him. As soon as he is done, we sit near the heater and keep rubbing the hair with the towel, till the hair dries up. It has worked for us.
    -PK

10. Vishalini3

Vishalini3 Silver IL'ite

[​IMG]Thank you all,
    PK, Nice to see you back,after Sep mommies club :)) Have you tried hair dryers?
    Krithika,I use cloth langoties, I have reserved some 3-4 folds, just for his hair :) Though it obsorbs pretty well, am still bothered abt the time taken. As its chill most of the days, everytime i wash his hair, i wud go crazy... if he happens to sneeze or cough even once, then i wud blame his hair.
    DD too had nice hair, but managable. This boy has too much i feel. The hairlocks at the back are below his neck and on the sides, they strangle below his ears.
    Around the frontanels, they are sooo thick. Everybody look at his hair in awe, praise me as if i god a gifted thing. But only i know its the major trouble. He sweats a lot if the room is hot. I got to wipe his hair after every feed. Mostly i prefer to nurse him without having any covering cloth ON:hide: Sometimes i think of cutting some hair, when he is in deep sleep:idea

Vidyaa, I wish babies are born bald. Anyways they wud beautiful and easy maintenance:) Yes, I am getting to know abt the herbal powder you mentioned. Is this same as the one, which malayalis use? Available in kottakal Arya vaidhya sala?

Ramya,I dont think drying under the fan is good. Wont that cause cold? Not sure. J&J powder on scalp - NO NO. I take a powder puff, without any powder and run thru his scalp. This helps in setting his hair too...

Lyn, Manju, Even am washing twice a week. When it rains very badly and chill,i wash once a week.

Rekha, Yes, I too wear his chapeau, but constantly need to check whether he is sweating or not. poohhhh :(

Msm, Kitchen tissues are a great idea.Wud try.