1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dry cough at night

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by ptamil2007, Aug 6, 2010.

1. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

Is it the dry season in Dublin? Check the humidity in your living spaces. If there is dryness, using a humidifier or a bowl of hot water near the child's bed (but out of reach for the child may help)
    dry cough in the nights could also be an indication of breathing difficulty/allergies/or a manifestation of asthma. If there is a family history of asthma, it maybe worthwhile ruling out the link. My husband only gets dry coughs during the allergy season while DS and I get full fledged wheezes.

2. ssv

ssv New IL'ite

Hi Pavitra,

First dont make him sleep directly under the fan, pls avoide choclates, coconut & jaggery. Its better to consult the doctor for alergy cough.

bye
    ssv

3. ilite

ilite Senior IL'ite

I agree with Tikka. Dry coughs were the initial symptoms of developing asthma for me. I think you need to take him to a paed if he still has it. I will suggest going to a a paed pulmonologist if available.

regards,

4. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Thank you SSV. I shall follow these and see if it works

5. Kamala08

Kamala08 New IL'ite

Hello Pavithra,

I hope you LO's night time cough is gone. If not as couple of other moms suggested...go the doctor and try to get to the underlying reason.

In your earlier post you indicated that the coughing continues even after applying vicks vapor rub. Some times applying varpor rub can wosen the cough. Here's what I learnt from Dr.Sears website.

"Vapor rubs on the chest. Occasionally, these can cause wheezing because the vapors may be too strong for some children, but overall they will work well. It is safe to try, but do observe your child to make sure it doesn't cause wheezing."

I noticed that in my DD's case...applying vicks worsened her symptoms. She wouldn't cough during the night. Her coughing spells used to be at 5:00 A.M. There was no wheezing involved. Her doc had couple of theories. One - she might have mild acid reflux. The second one - infant/toddler asthma. Both of these can cause nightime or early morning cough (dry cough). Once we knew what we were dealing with (I am sparing you the details!)...we have the situation under control.

So...please check with your pead.

Oh...BTW....all cough is NOT bad. Coughing is the body's natural way of protecting the lungs. I don't do anything about my DD's cough. If she is coughing...it means there is something else that I should worry about! (Ah...the pleasures of motherhood!)

Health vibes to your LO and good luck to you!

K

6. ptamil2007

ptamil2007 Gold IL'ite

Hi Kamala

Many thanks for sharing a valuable piece of information. I shall be careful next time and yes (touchwood), the cough has stopped