Driving to Cameron Highlands

Discussion in 'Indians in Malaysia' started by Anushiv, Jun 6, 2008.

1. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Malaysian I'Lites,

We are planning to drive to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:placeName w:st="on">Cameron</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Highlands</st1:placeName> from <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Singapore</st1:country-region></st1:place>. I have few queries to ask you all.

1. First, How far it is from KLCC?
    2. The signboards on the road - are they written in English or Malay ?
    3. We are planning to stay for 2 nights/ 3 days...what are the ' worth' sight seeing places esp. for children.
    4. Since we are vegetarians...can we get vegetarian food over there? Or do we need to pack some & go?
    5. How is the weather now (June)? Do we need to take some warm clothes?
    6. Any recommended items for shopping.

Thanks in Advance & hope your response helps me to have a good journey!

2. ranivasan

ranivasan Senior IL'ite

Hi Anu,
    I'm not Malaysian but we live in Singapore and driven many times to cameron highlands. If u r driving from Singapore please do have necessary permits and fill up fuel in your car in Johar Bahru. All directions on the roads are written in english and no hassles about it. Try to download maps so that u don't loose your way. You can get it @yahoo maps. Try to leave early if u r driving from here. Another thing what we do is as i dont have car we hire care from Johore. We take night train and then tak car from KL. So u have options and let me know.. i can share more info.
    At cameron we stay in chalet run by Indians and u can get indian veg food made to order. Breakfast shouldnt be problem u get dosas in many places there.. We are veg too some times i make chapathis and dry subzis along and that comes for day or two. Hope 2 people are driving as it could be tired for one person to drive all the way.... Get back to me if u have any more questions...

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    1) It is about 4 hrs drive from KLCC
    2) Road signs are clear and easy, if you have GPRS it may be helpful
    3) Please note the roads uphill ,at times can be hazardous depending on the weather
    4) currently it rains sometimes not constant
    5) Veg is easily available
    6) It is not that cold, but again depends on you, a bit of warm clothes is recommended
    7) fruits,flowers, tea are most popular items to buy
    enjoy yourself
    Jaya

4. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Hi Rani,

Thank you very much for the prompt reply.Bow Sorry, I was busy in the weekend unable to respond to your post. I guess I should have addressed to Sing I'Lites also bonksince many of us from here travel often to <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Malaysia</st1:country-region></st1:place>. Anyhow, as suggested by you, we will keep the map ready in hand. We wanted to avoid traveling during peak hours & night journey (for safety reason). We too have booked a chalet in Cameron highland but I am not sure whether Indians run it but I am hopeful that I can get some (vegetarian) thing to eat if not Indian at least Chinese or Italian.

Thanks once again...see you after I return.

5. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Hi Padma,

Thanks for the point wise reply:thankyou2:. First, we will be driving to KL from S’pore. Short stay in a hotel near KLCC & from there we want to go to Cameron highland. On the way, I believe you have Batu caves...after getting Lord Marugan's darshan planning to drive ahead.
    Yes, I too thought about GPRS...:ideabut here the price is around SGD$300...So, I am just thinking over it to buy or not. In <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:country-region w:st="on">Singapore</st1:country-region>, we don't need a GPRS, as the roadways are best, clear & not as complicated as <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Malaysia</st1:country-region></st1:place> (Be’cos it is a big country than S’pore ). Of course, for a frequent traveler to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Malaysia</st1:country-region></st1:place> it may be useful.

My children are very anxious about the trip & I am looking forward for a safe & smooth journey. Later, I will you about my experience.

With thanks!

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008
  6. Nivedi

Nivedi New IL'ite

Anu - There are a lot of Indian restaurants in the Town Square. We went there in 2002 from Penang and it was raining - but overall it was very pleasant. Do'nt forget to get some tea. I remember having visited a Strawberry Farm, a Butterfly garden and lots of vegetable and fruit farms. There are mini buses that take tourists to all these places and they are reasonably priced.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2008
  7. Anushiv

Anushiv Senior IL'ite

Dear Rani, Padma & Nivedi,

Just returned from <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Cameron</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Highland</st1:placeName></st1:place>! It was really an adventurous long journey.
    It was our first trip to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">Malaysia</st1:country-region></st1:place> by car; An enjoyable long drive for about 1400km.
    I should say it was a refreshing holiday which we had never experienced before.... We wanted to drive down to until <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Ipoh</st1:City></st1:place> just for a change. It was exciting & never regreted it one bit. First, we drove to KL, spent a day- visited Battu caves & few other places in & around the city. Next day morning after breafast, we drove to <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:placeName w:st="on">Cameron</st1:placeName> <st1:placeName w:st="on">Highland</st1:placeName></st1:place>. It was 4hrs up-hill driving. We stayed in a chalet for two days. The place was quiet & sleepy ...very far from city ambience. We took a cab for the local tour. A Tamil speaking Indian guy was our driver & guide. He took us around the place. We went & saw Tea Plantation- Boh tea factory to see the process.
    The other tourist spots which we saw- Strawberry Farm, Rose valley, self-picking vegetable farms & butterfly garden. We were surprised to see many Indians- Indian shops, restaurants & few temples all along the way.
    In short, the two days stay was pleasant & memorable.On the third day, we resumed our journey.
    We came down from the hill & drove until <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Ipoh</st1:City></st1:place>. A good place to shop esp. for Singaporeans- prices are dead cheap compared to <st1:country-region w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Singapore</st1:place></st1:country-region>. We did some shopping & had lunch in a food court. Fortunately, we were able to get some Chinese vegetarian food. Around 4pm, we left the place. & reached home (S'pore) around 11.pm.

Well, I want to thank you Bowall for stepping in & giving out information about the place.
    I really liked the place when compared to Genting Highland.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2008
  8. citralekha

citralekha New IL'ite

Cameron Highlands

Although this is late but the link above will show all that you need to see in cameron highland and around

;-)

9. madhupreeth

madhupreeth Senior IL'ite

Hi friends...
    I searched and found this useful thread.....
    i will also write about the trip once i am back...:)