1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Driving license

Discussion in 'Indians in Edison' started by Moumit, Jan 23, 2010.

1. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Hey Usha, today is your road test isn't it? What time is the test? Good luck to you. Do let us know your experience and results :).

2. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Dear Amitha,

Thanks alot for everything dear. I passed my roadtest and got my license today. Just back from Rahway,had lunch...sat before system first thing to thank you.

Thanks dear for everything..information, encouraging, wishes. After completing my test at11.45 p.m, i was thanking you wholeheartedly till i got my license in hands inside.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
  3. Amitha

Amitha Senior IL'ite

Congradulations Usha. So now you can drive and come to meet me anywhere in NJ :wink:. By the way did you continue taking the classes with Technical driving or did you change?

4. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Dear friends,

I like to share whole experience of my roadtest and driving school which might be useful for others in some way.

I took 2classes from Technical Driving school&passed my roadtest at Rahway today,got license.

Driving school experience:

Especially a person byname Tahir who owns the school is veryvery professional,soft,never raised his voice even once while i made mistakes. He gave lot of tips not only regarding road test but also which i should follow while driving on live traffic. After taking one class from him, i was 100% confident, will clear the test for sure.

Charges:

1. 2hour classes 70$ with pickup&drop off

2. Roadtest: 1hour warmupclasses,car for exam, pickup&dropoff $90

But this differs in roadtest if we were little far from Woodbridge as they come that far to pick charges are $140 if it is like Edison ,the other option is someone can dropat Rahway, Instructor will give warmup class,exam, after exam someone has to pick you the charge willbe $90(itook this option)

Road test Experience in Rayway:

Minutes:

Though they say test is for 30minutes, not exactly 30minutes it takes, i completed in just12minutes.

Road Test:

Once examinar gets into car, he will ask to give documents(mainly GC,passport,SSN, valid license paper) other documents about car like(insurance,registration,license )will be taken care by driving school instructor,if you go with hubby then carry those.

First he ask to go to the end of the road make few turns, just carefully listen to his command &put signal ,while turning be careful not to touch solids lines at the center, complete stop at stop signs. This goes like for 2-3turns.

Then comes K-turn, straight reverse&Parellel parking. Mostly thats it,but i guess as there was some time again he asked me to do 2turns.

Ask you to stop at one palce, fill some report, stick some silver shining sticker on your license paper.(After test through driving school instructor i came to know if they stick the sticker then it is indication we passed, if they don't and return the license papar then it is like we didn't clear). This i never know was in tension that 5mts whether i cleared or not,why is he filling some reports...very tension stage i say you.

Procedure to get License at DMV office:

After this test,then you got to go inside the office, fill the form for applying license card, after showing documents such as Insurance card, valid visa/GC,SSN.valid.license papaer you willbe given token number, aksed to wait till you turn comes.

Once they call your number, go to the counter, they will ask to show you the same above documents, take pictures(some time they keep same while you give for you writtentest), then ask to pay $10.88 and after 5minutes card will be issued. This whole procedure takes around 45minutes depending on the rush.

People inside the office are ok,not too friendly or harsh,they do their duty,but i had two bad experience at Kilmer while renewal& during written test..they are really little harsh.

Hope i have given as much as information i can to make you all feel comfortable before going to the roadtest.

One thing i can tell you for sure if you take good practice and have confident,sure can pass the test at Rahway, its very easy compare to Kilmer i heard where road test is on live-traffic but here its only inside the DMV station, but roads are little narrow, so be very careful while you take turn not to touch yellow lines.(This can be done easily if you have done practice before on turning ).

All the best.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  5. dale

dale New IL'ite

You are looking for driving licence US and why not.

But if any user want their uk driving licence then its very easy. You can just google for "DSA theory books + cd for 2010" and can find relevant website.
    Its good practice to pass driving theory test uk in first attempt.:drowning

6. Nitha J

Nitha J IL Hall of Fame

Usha;
    Congrats:cheers. Great!!!!
    And that was great write up. I am sure many will find it useful. Now drive till raspberry court:)))
    All you "drivers" are inspiring me to switch to Rahway DMV. Anyways I have to wait till visa papers return.

Amitha and Usha; I am sure which driving school I am going:))
    -Nitha

7. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi Amitha &Nitha,

Sure will drive and meet you:))

Nitha,

Just take 2-3classes sure you will get full confident dear, i felt the different. Because i already took few classes last year from different school...in that experience i tell you.

Already myhubby has assigned me that weekend few trips to Walmart, etc.,next year daycare for sathvika& next long weekend if possible i should share the driving itseems:))

8. gvart

gvart Silver IL'ite

Hi Usha,
    Congrats for the license and a BIG Thanks for the write up.......this came in time for me...im planning to go thru the process of getting a license here.....so that i dont rouble my DH anymore to take me 2 veggie n grocery shopping....the info that u shared was very useful........nandri........

9. gokusha

gokusha IL Hall of Fame

Hi gvart,

You are welcome pa. I thought of sharing whole experience and details because it could be helpful to some one in some way.

When i was in your stage, i run here and there, google, post question to get as much as information befor i take my test.

So decided whether it is some procedure, any outting, schools for kids,shopping,let me give full A-Z details i get to know which can be handy for people who are insearch of that.

All the best ma.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2010
  10. gvart

gvart Silver IL'ite

Hi Usha,
    I wud also like to know the nuances of cutting down on taxes.......which are deducted in the salary..plz help me out if u have any ideas to cut down monthly taxes n monthly bills..........
    All ILs who can give me idea are welcome...........