1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Driving Lesson

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by rgsrinivasan, Mar 18, 2011.

1. rgsrinivasan

rgsrinivasan IL Hall of Fame

This happened when I was fifteen.
    Having mastered the art of riding a bicycle (within my own apartment complex during deserted sunday afternoons) I expressed my wish to ride a bike, to my cousin. It is wise to leave the number of scratch marks on my knees and elbows after each riding attempt.

He had just bought a new TVS XL (after saving for many years) then. Naturally, he was alarmed. Offered me a suggestion - "Why don't you learn by sitting behind me? I will drive the vehicle and while driving, I will show you the parts and explain what each does!".

I said ok and was patient while he did so. Then I asked him. "Now knowing all this, can I sit in front to see them at close range?" He might have been shocked, but allowed me to sit in front after warning me not to try anything on my own.

Now, getting further encouraged, I asked him, "You see! I know a few things now about driving this! Why don't you let me drive this once?"

Reluctantly he agreed on one condition. That he would sit behind. I obliged and started my first driving session (sure I would be good as I already gained his confidence when he offered to sit behind!).

Little did I realize in the beginning. He asked me to start the vehicle, after showing me how. I tried. And it did not start. He said, "hold the clutch and give a kick!"
    Now, I should tell you something about my persona. I am very good at doing things, one at a time. So, while doing one, I was not able to do another. I told him! Why don't you hold the clutch while I kick? (naturally, kicking comes easier, you know?) But you get tired after repeated kicks. And in frustration, I kicked the ground and hurt my toes. My first day of driving session ended thus. I don't know why he sighed loudly.

Promptly, next day I went and somehow, started the vehicle (miracles do happen! I assure you!). The next thing I realized that day was that, vehicles do have a mind of their own, which, like many others till date, didn't follow me! I tried turning left, but it went straight! Turned right, still the same result. My cousin told me that I should consider turning the handle bar instead of my body. Alas! There is no bionic processor in that vehicle. The only thing that I did right was accelerating. That was a very good feel, I tell you.

Now, when I saw the big gate, suddenly coming out of nowhere, I was in a dilemma to choose one of the following options: (1) test the endurance of the vehicle after colliding (2) jump from it and run to a safer point (3) try applying the brake or something (4) try turning the vehicle.

Now, before I could choose one of those, the last option was out and my cousin was yelling! "Apply the brake!" at the top of his voice.

Now I should tell you about the biggest flaw in such vehicles - both brakes and clutch need to be pressed the same way and at times of confusion, any experienced (!) driver might press one instead of another. So, I don't see any mistake till date, when I pressed the clutch. The vehicle seemed to slow down slightly and collided with a thud!

Just before it fell down to the ground, I jumped away unharmed (little bruises do not count!). Later I realized that my cousin had jumped seconds earlier and had a large bruise on his left leg.

And coming to the vehicle, it had a big dent and was crying for help (roaring, to be exact!) when somebody helped us both.

After that, my cousin was noticeably absent during my free time.

I am yet to learn driving! And till this day, boast that I come by the costliest vehicles namely, the bus and train!

2. Malar2301

Malar2301 Gold IL'ite

Hi Sri...that was an excellent post and narration in deed. Yeah during initial days we get confused with the brake and clutch. It happened with you too!!!

Good that you never wanted to try it with Train or bus (just kidding :rotfl).

I enjoyed reading it.

3. rgsrinivasan

Wow! Didn't expect a feed back this fast. Thanks so much Malar. There is a second and even funnier episode to this. I may write it some day! -rgs

4. iswaryadevi

iswaryadevi Platinum IL'ite

Absolutely hilarious. I was :rotfl reading this. Keep them coming Sir :thumbsup

5. rgsrinivasan

Thanks for your quick feedback Ice. A small request - address me as rgs. Thats enough.
    Happy to know that you enjoyed reading this. -rgs

6. SARASVADIVU

SARASVADIVU Silver IL'ite

Hello rgs,

Let me tell you sir, you excel in humorous posts:thumbsup

And this being no exception:rotfl

YOU DEFINITELY ROCK!!!

:cheers
    SARAS

7. priyaiyengar

priyaiyengar New IL'ite

Hi RGS,
    Really wonderful, I laughed out loud.
    Priya

8. rgsrinivasan

Thanks very much for your continuously generous appreciation Saras. I am moved. Bow -rgs

9. rgsrinivasan

Thanks very much for your appreciation Priya. -rgs

10. AbhiSing

AbhiSing Gold IL'ite

Rgs

Hilarious one...
    Reminded me of my bicyle days and then the TVS XL days...Nostalgic !