1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Driving experiences of a newbie...

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by mikku, Oct 17, 2011.

1. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hello ILites,
    I have been following the 'snippets' for quite some time and am amazed at the variety of writing. The writings are funny, inspirational, informative and much more. I felt like contributing too, here goes my bit:
    I have recently started driving all by myself, so thought of venturing on to the ‘unexplored’ streets as a driver. Had to return a particular cosmetic that I never dared to open, wonder why I bought it in the first place. Coming back to my exploration of the roads, started off from home, all was well, except at one particular left turn, was supposed to take a wider turn to reach the far right, well, me being me, ended on the close left road instead. Thought of changing the lane when there is an opportunity, little did I know that the right lane would get jam-packed and there wouldn’t be enough space to sneak in, and had no choice but to make a detour. This was the beginning of my journey of roundabouts! Parked my vehicle at a convenient spot, exchanged the item with some not-so trivial items and came out with a feeling of great accomplishment. After all, I drove to the place by myself, finished the work and was heading back to my car that was sitting pretty in the parking lot. Now, I had the task of getting out of the place and hitting the road that leads to my home. I backed the car but was skeptical of taking a right turn while reversing, instead made a left turn, made yet another detour and reached the road. Was supposed to take a U-turn, missed it (intentionally?), made a left turn and kept driving. I needed to make a left turn on one of the nearest roads before I went too far away from my home. Well, the roads had to be packed, since it was Friday evening, and people were rushing back home or wherever, or could be that I was given with an opportunity to hone my driving skills? (ya right!) . Finally, made a left turn on some unfamiliar road, and headed straight, was elated to find a familiar stadium. As I entered the stadium, the guard greeted me, I responded with a smile, well concealing the fact of me being a rookie:hide:. Drove inside the stadium cautiously, stopped at the sign; meanwhile I was passed by a speeding car, indicating I am slow. Hello! Aren’t we supposed to stop at the stop sign? Never mind if I was being extra cautions and stopped for a tad longer at the sign, isn’t patience a virtue? As I exited the stadium, I was thrilled to find a well acquainted road. I literally laughed out loud; guess I was impressed with myself as I almost came out of the mini escapade unscathed. I was flying high in the sky and the inevitable happened, I missed to notice the signal ahead of time, almost jumped the red signal, had to hit the brakes hard, when reality hit me, and thud, I hit the ground err road . Eventually, I reached my home sweet home, after an hour of adventure. The store is around half a mile from my home and is supposed to take me three minutes to reach there according to the Google maps, well these maps are overrated and are not always right, so I think to humor myself.
    Hubby dear was all ears and listened to my experience intently, and patted my back for coming back home with the car in one piece (me and the car, that is). To quote him “I knew you would be a good driver, you did great for a newbie!” I was visibly exhilarated to hear those words from hubby, who otherwise has a rather critical approach towards my driving abilities; I do not entirely blame him:). Well, he wasn’t my ride along this time, and me assuring him that no one dared honk made hubby dear utter those magical words. What a boost to the morale it was, and now I am all charged up for yet another adventure and many more!:)

Thank you for reading.

4 people like this.

2. upfsabari

upfsabari IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mikku...

Welcome to Snippets world..!!!

Newbie with car.. Good that you safely landed at home..
    It always feels very happy whenever someone appreciates for something we did... that too from hubby.. we will be in cloud nine only..

Glad that you are hubby is also happy that you started driving.. :)

Your first snippet is too good.. I can imagine how you drove the car back to home..

Waiting for more adventurous snippets from you.. :)

1 person likes this.
  3. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hi Sabari,

Thanks so much for the warm welcome and liking my snippet :)....You are too kind :)....yes, it did feel like a mini adventure and it is getting better :)

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Hi Mikku,

Welcome to the land of snippets. Your experience was very amusing. Congratulations on having made your first ride uneventfully. That is a lot more than I can ever say for myself. Have never summoned the courage to take a ride in a car myself. Am afraid I will have my pics splashed across the next day's newspapers for running over a few innocent, unsuspecting pedestrians who are simply going about their business.

5. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hi Satchi,

Hope I can call u that :)..thanks so much...I had similar ideas of driving abilities, still do, but they are getting less scarier :)

6. ambika04

ambika04 Gold IL'ite

Hubby dear was all ears and listened to my experience intently, and patted my back for coming back home with the car in one piece (me and the car, that is).//He he :)

Dear Mikku,
    What an adventure.Every line you have written shows the excitement,a sense of accomplishment.Sometimes such pleasures & little pride are needed to move on...Expecting more such snippets.

7. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

hi mikku,
    a hearty welcome to you in our snippeting corner. Do join in and enjoy the fun with all of us here. :) Lovely to hear about your first ride as a newbie.. I am sure it must be a great feeling for I do not drive and am very impressed with people who do so. :)

8. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Dear Ambika,

Thanks so much for the nice words :) yes little pleasures do keep us going...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2011
  9. mikku

mikku Gold IL'ite

Hi Mindi,

Thanks so much...I already enjoy the writings here, shall keep doing so:)

Last edited: Oct 21, 2011
  10. sravanitenali

sravanitenali IL Hall of Fame

Hello MIkku...welcome to world of snippets.....u know its a very spl place....where every thing will be shared in a unique way...no one will deny our writeups....rather encourage newcomers like us with Likes and super Like FBs....so njoi...

Then ur post..wow...as a budding driver me too will join ur club ;)...hehe.....nice dear...me too feel great when i drove jus a 2miles away from my home to drop my kid in school...its a grt achievement for me indeed....

Njoi ur drving....njoi ur write-up over here.

Sravani