Drishti / Nazar - Where Did The Concept Come From ?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by MeenLoch, Jan 16, 2008.

1. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

The origins of the Evil Eye are Middle-Eastern and Mediterranean. The concept was introduced into the Americas, South Pacific Islands, Asia, Africa and Australia by European explorers.

The original belief is that any person can harm your children, livestock, fruit trees or any other evidence of prosperity just by looking at the spoils of all your good will and hard work with envy. Ironically, the curse of the evil eye is thought to be provoked by inappropriate displays of spiritual pride or excessive beauty. There is a theory that very famous people and celebrities suffer more personal misfortune than others simply because they are subjected to more “overlooking” and envy than others.

And wiki explains it this way.

-----------------------------------

So it's not black magic or sorcery, but some negative vibe which causes ill after-effects.

So much for it's explanation. I actually started with the intention of writing about how people get paranoiac with this idea.

Till a man/woman get something he/she always wished for, they work hard and that keeps them rest-less and sleepless. Once he/she gets to his/her goal, it's about protecting their asset ( which could be objects , success, a child or wealth). They do not share happiness with others in the fear of losing it through this "Evil Eye" logic. Strangely they continue to be restless, sleepless, secretive and secluded even after it's acquired.

My experience - It's sometimes difficult to genuinely complement. Many of my friends and relatives do not share information, about the gifts, life gives them in the fear of evil-eyes. So....... to people who are obsessed about this idea, I am careful about moderating and limiting, even a genuine and heartfelt 'expression of awe', I derive from seeing what they show or what they talk about. Even when it comes to saying' Your kid is so cute, so intelligent' etc, I am afraid they will take it in other sense. Worse yet, people whom I don't know, I wonder if there are chances they take it so.

One good reason for not sharing your endeavors with others could be because you are anxious of it's outcome. You wait for the end-result. Once success is achieved, you don't want to brag too much about it ( You may be mistaken for a self-bragging person). But in most cases particularly women HIDE things in the fear of what they call "Nazar" or "Drishti". Rational heads who do not believe in it completely, also do NOT want to TAKE A CHANCE. Hence follow the "Partial disclosure" process.

I dream a world without inhibitions. Why should a human not share happiness with is fellow beings ? Does it not multiply that way ? Why create a seclusion ? What will we attribute our failure to, if we never believed in drishti ? Everything went well, but it still failed, why ? How can someone else, who was no way connected to this, be blamed ? ( There are people who perenially feel, they are not OK and others are prosperous and happy. There is even a book on how to solve that ) Why does it happen, that each time someone sets nazar or make a ill-wish for you, coated in sweet sugary words, the endeavor just fails ? Or is it all a perception of our mind ? tsk

Human brain is already confused and complicated about various things. Thanks to these reason-less, foundation-less, :x non-native principles which make it more complicated :bang...And believe me this disease is contagious. No one wants to take chance by making public display of his/her wealth or possessions.

This idea has a it's repercussion on many relationships we share with people. Sad !

What do you all think of this paranoia ?