Drinking milk during pregnancy

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Pinky8007, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Pinky8007

Pinky8007 New IL'ite

@Ranchu...thank you..I was thinking abt that, also I guess my MIL will be down here for my 1st trimester & my mom for the last 3-6mnths...but nothing has been decided yet. If they come down...that will ease out the process for me. My hubby does not cook...poor chap he tries but in vain...he just can't cook:)
    @Lovers(I am sorry, I don't know your name)..that is right those sour food makes me feel better...but alas it is only for sometime...once I have it I feel I am gonna throw up & dont want to eat that thing again.
    But as everyone mentioned its quite common...I have to just wait to pass by this phase!!
    But thanks again gals...have a nice weekend:)
    I have my check up with the primary physician (Not a Gyn)on Monday....actual one is on 19th with the OBG/GYN. Not sure what reports my primary physician is going to take me through & what details I will get to know...waiting anxiously & keeping my fingers crossed.
    Does any of you have your appointments scheduled?

2. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

All the best pinky with your appointments:thumbsup

3. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Pinky - Try ginger ale (canada dry is good) and saltines (salt crackers) first thing in the morning ven before you brush your teeth. It works very well. Plain rice, plain bread, or toast, or yogurt rice or pickle rice like rakhi suggested helps with nausea as well. You can have chai too if you like the smell.

4. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

DNM,

Can we drink coffee/tea? I heard that we are not supposed to take them

5. Pinky8007

Pinky8007 New IL'ite

Thank you DNM, my doc said the samething abt gingerale, I was thnkng that I shld completely avoid soda. Yeah I bought some salt crackers today, will try that.

6. DNM

DNM Silver IL'ite

Chotu - You can have limited amount of tea or coffee during pregnancy. Avoiding them completely is all well and good if you are able to eat and drink other stuff without throwing up. When you have terrible morning sickness, sometimes caffeine helps. I had two cups of chai every day all through my pregnancy. My DS was born a healthy 7 pounds 7 oz. My ObGyn told me not to overdo the coffee - but thats for people who drink 5 cups a day. I have never had more than three cups of caffeine/ per day in m life and so her advice was not applicable for me. Also, black tea in milk (chai) has less chance of causing acidity and has less caffiene than coffee and even green tea.

Pinky- The same applies to soda. Avoiding unhealthy stuff is possible only when you are able to eat other healthy things. When you are throwing up left and right and your stomach is empty, better the soda than nothing at all. Your body needs some energy. If you are in your first trimester, then your baby is too small to have huge nutriional requirements. Eat what you can. Whatever you can tolerate without throwing up. The baby will take what it needs from your blood and bones. The prenatal vitamins are for you - so that you don't develop deffeciencies because the baby will take automatically. You can give up the soda in 2 months when you have no nausea. No need to be this strict in your diet now.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2011
  7. babycorn

babycorn Silver IL'ite

DNM,Thanks for the info.:bowdown

8. Pinky8007

Pinky8007 New IL'ite

Thank you DNM, my doc said the same thing...eat & drink what you can in the 1st trimester...don't force yourself with food if you cannot keep it in. I am travelling to Florida this weekend....just praying to God that I should'nt have the worse Morning Sickness...I don't want to spoil the trip for the group with me being like this.

Hi chotu....how r u now? did you visit the doctor yet?

9. chotabheem

chotabheem Gold IL'ite

Hey all,
    I add lemon to all the food stuff i eat (for curries, side dishes, poha, upma) and i can eat it peacefully without aversions. try to eat little meals frequently, that also helps!
    For milk, add Mother Horlicks or mamaprotinex instead of the usual horlicks/bournvita!
    All the best:thumbsup
    Loads of sticky baby dust to all of us :)

10. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Hi,

When I was pregnant few months back I had the same thing. Aversion to milk. If I have anything with milk in it, it used to cause loose motions and stomach upset.
    But home made curd did not cause me any problems. Then one day when my MIL was here, she boiled milk in the stove as we do in India and gave me and it did not do anything to me. I usually boil milk in microwave and have as complan. So I found out that was the secret. Similarly, bring milk to complete boil and then consume it. It should hopefully solve your problem. If you still have problem, try having curd instead of milk.