1. Want to get periods immediately before attending a religious event? Check this out for tips...
    Dismiss Notice

Drinking hot or cold water as the 1st thing in the morning - post your comments

Discussion in 'Healthy Living' started by teddydolly, Jan 11, 2010.

1. teddydolly

teddydolly New IL'ite

Re: Forum of the Month - January 2010 - Healthy Foods

I am participating in the Get in shape 2010 contest, and i saw many posts which said they are having hot water everyday..especially in the mornings.
    I remember my father too forced us to drink hot water the first thing in the morning all thru my childhood!! It is also well known amongst the japanese.
    But recently, to be precise in last years prevention magazine edition, I read that drinking chilled water is good while your trying to reduce!
    It said that the body triggers your metabolism to bring the chilled water temperature to normal body temperature and uses up the energy for that from the fat stored in your body.
    Seems logical...does anyone contradict or agree to this new finding?
    Awaiting comments!

2. stella_cb

stella_cb Junior IL'ite

Re: Forum of the Month - January 2010 - Healthy Foods

Hi Kalpana,

The following is an excerpt from Does Drinking Ice Water Burn Calories? : Hydration, maybe; weight loss, doubtful - CHOW

"You’ll burn about 8 calories for each glass of iced calorie-free beverage you drink. That’s equal to about one Life Saver: not exactly a weight-loss miracle.
    Using Clemens’s figures, it would take about 435 8-ounce glasses of ice water to lose a pound.
    And do we have to tell you? Consuming large quantities of cold water can have serious health effects, such as an overall lowering of body temperature, a decrease in the functionality of the gastrointestinal tract, and, in extreme cases, anemia. Drinking a lot of water can also lead to water intoxication."

So probably we can have a glass or 2 of cold water. Taking water (need not necessarily too hot or too cold) regularly throught out the day will help us flush out the toxins and remain healthy too.

What do you think?

Thanks,
    Stella

3. shakambari

shakambari Platinum IL'ite

Drinking water on an empty stomach really helps in curing constipation

and keeps your skin glowing and hydrated.

I always do it.

4. narra

narra Silver IL'ite

mee too. everymorning i drink 2 glasses of luke warm water on an empty stomach. i never try cold water.

5. shakambari

Narra,

2 glasses of water is my quota also.

But I love it cool... Being in Chennai -anything cool is great esp. in the summers- which last for almost 10 mths !:rotfl

6. Varloo

Varloo Gold IL'ite

Hi,
    From reading a lot about many things, I have come to the cnclusion that one should do wht one likes or feels is good . Each day, a new theory is lauded and then it is said tobe not good. This is what is happening.
    But I drink a glass of warm water (not hot) first thing in the morning to speeden the bowel movent. And consuming plain water is good for health and losing weight, it has many advantages.
    I do not drink anything icecold due tohealth reasons. But in summer, I cannot help due to the extreme heat in Chennai, I tend to drink cold water and beverages.
    So follow what you feel comforable with.

7. shakambari

Varloo,

As you said ,every other day a new theory on water therapy makes its waves and is refuted soon.

I feel drinking up to 400-500 ml is fine and beneficial but some advocate drinking up to 2 litres of water on an empty stomach and that puts unnecessary load on the renal system and practically keeps you next to the loo till noon.:)

I ve been doing this religiously for more than 3 years but have not lost a gram of weight.:biglaugh

8. kirti251

kirti251 Senior IL'ite

[​IMG] Re: Drinking hot or cold water as the 1st thing in the morning - post your comments

Dear Ils,
    I'm posting this topic for my community.We have to drink always hot water,throught out day for our good health.I watch interview of shilpa shetti ,she also told that she always drinking hot water from past 15 years.In early morning we have to drink 2 glass of hot water first to clean our system.Read whole article for why hot water?

Drink hot water & u'll get hot body

<HR style="COLOR: #ffffff; BACKGROUND-COLOR: #ffffff" SIZE=1>Hot water v/s Cold Water – Which one is the winner? You decide

We have to drink 2 to 3 litre of water throught out the day

Here are the Pro’s and Cons of hot water and cold water.

Drinking Cold Water
    Pro’s
    1. If you drink cold water it boosts the metabolic rate of the body as the body works to bring it to your body temperature.
    2. Easily availability every where you go.

Con’s
    1. Cold water solidifies the oil which you consume and turns it to fat.
    2. Slows down the digestion.
    3. You Catch cold frequently

Conclusion for Cold water
    Though cold water is easily available and boosts the metabolic rate it also turns the oil from our food to fats, so we are back to square one.
    No major change but a risk of cardiovascular disease. The Con’s outweighs the Pro’s.

Drinking Hot Water
    By hot water I mean as hot as your coffee or tea not scalding water

Pro’s
    1. If you drink Hot water it boosts the metabolic rate of the body as the body works to bring it to your body temperature.
    2. Flushes the oil in your food out of the body
    3. It increases the digestion process
    4. Slows down the aging process.
    5. Boosts immune system.
    6. Helps with the roughage.

Con’s
    1. Less Availability of hot water everywhere you go.

Conclusion for Hot water
    Drinking hot water is an ancient Ayurvedic method. Though hot water is less available it is a simple and easy way to improve our lifestyle and bring positive outcome of this change. The Pros outweighs the Cons.

Overall Conclusion
    Drinking hot water has been there but with the invention of refrigerator it was forgotten but now is time to return to the basics and to improve our habits for better health. Lets drink hot water and have a HOT! HOT! HOT! body.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
    2 people like this.
  9. attire

attire New IL'ite

I agree totally with kirti but how much do v need 2 drink?

10. hemadurga

hemadurga Bronze IL'ite

hi kirti,
    apt answer for the question raised...