1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

dressing sense is important ??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous in Parenting' started by anika987, Mar 20, 2014.

1. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

I remember my last India trip.I had gone to this awesome mall when I saw this young girl who will be around 17,18 dressed in a tank top and a mini skirt.She was looking around to see who all was looking at her and ofcourse many guys were and she had this proud look on her face.

However,all of a sudden one of the guys approached her and said something.She started yelling at him and soon there was a crowd around her.We came to know he said something vulgar to her.She was in tears and started yelling that men disrespect women etc etc.

then after sometime the security cleared the crowd and things got back to normal.

the guy had no right to tease the girl but at the same time our country is not yet too westernized maybe.I guess dressing appropriate in certain places might avoid certain stuff?
    I just want our girls to be safe.I apologize if i had hurt anyone's feelings.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    7 people like this.

2. fellowblogger

fellowblogger Silver IL'ite

Anika, i completely agree with you as i have felt the same many times.

believe it or not when i go to gym i will be covered from neck to ankle with track pants and a descent top, but i have observed many men giving sick looks and looking at wrong places....i dont want to imagine what will be running in their mind when they see a girl with mini skirt and top....

yes we have every right to dress the way we want i am not saying no......but unfortunately most of the men in our country are acting like demons, might be that they have inhaled some poisonous air, but kids irrespective of gender and anything that looks like a female are being seen as a xxx object....so better to be safe than sorry....

it is so weird that, indians in overseas are very serious about celebrating indian festivals and making their kids wear traditional dresses because they want to keep the culture alive.....but most parents in India try to make there kids as westernised as possible....it really makes me wonder why?

forget about sitting and watching a show with family, you cant watch most of the advertisements with kids around....where are we headed? it really scares me

sindmani, lucky2, anika987 and 2 others like this.
  3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

you are so right fellowblogger!

I am all for women and rights but at the same time instead of blinding fighting it out,we should also see the pros and cons of things and act sensibly.

There is always a place and time for everything.Movie stars get crores of rupees,walk off and drive around in audi and bmw.They do not parade on streets alone and be unsafe.We ought to be careful esp coz of the sick demons in our country.

For eg: when we drive, we cannot say" I am a good driver,only others should be careful!" we ought to be careful no matter what. We cannot blindly drive without being careful just coz we are a good driver.

As you had rightly put "better safe than sorry".

Instead of blindly yelling and getting angry,we have to act accordingly,be calm and be sensible.that is what education has thought us. If we see a barking dog,we do not bark back.We should be cautious.

thanks for the reply fellowblogger:)

Last edited: Mar 20, 2014
    3 people like this.
  4. thegirlygirl

thegirlygirl Platinum IL'ite

Hey, this is in the wrong forum.

No, it is not important to cover your body from head to toe, a girl has the right to wear whatever she wants,alot of men in India are sick( sorry I don't want to offend anyone, I am Indian too), infact most men from south asia are sick, they will stare at women no matter what they wear.

Stop blaming girls for men's sick and perverted attitude!

sindmani, subha2705 and Chapra like this.
  5. scale

scale Silver IL'ite

This kind of discussion always brings up mixed opinions. I just want to share my opinion but I don't want to argue further.

First of all, we should agree that "Not all women are dressing so badly and not all men are behaving so rudely". All such issues are one-off case.

No one is expecting women to cover their body from head to toe. Just dress sensibly. Don't show vulgarity in your dressing. That's enough. Make people (Men and Women) around you LOOK at your dressing sense but don't make them stare at you and feel awkward/disgusting. We should not forget one popular proverb "When you are in rome do what romans do". The problem comes when only one in the crowd of thousands wear so irrelevant stupid vulgar costume just to "show off".

ஆபாசம் என்பது உடுத்தும் உடைகளில் இல்லை, பார்க்கும் கண்களில் தான் உள்ளது என்று சொல்பவர்களின் கண்களில் மிளகாய் பொடியை தூவி விட்டு, " எரிச்சல் என்பது மிளகாய் பொடியில் இல்லை, உங்கள் கண்களில் தான் உள்ளது " என்று சொல்லலாமா ?

Please note, I don't support men who misbehave but at the same time i neither support women who don't dress sensibly.

8 people like this.
  6. thegirlygirl

What is sensible dressing?

7. scale

scale Silver IL'ite

As I mentioned in my post, I just wanted to share my opinion but I don't want to argue further on this :p

Anyways as per dictionary, "Sensible - practical and functional rather than decorative."

Bye:cool2:

1 person likes this.
  8. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

When in Rome Do as Romans do.

9. thegirlygirl

OP mentioned that the girl was not dressed very well, surely you have the right to disapprove her dressing and maybe laugh in your heart about it, but this one guy walks right upto her and says something offensive, after which she is in tears!

Tell me, does dressing inappropriately give men a free pass to offend you and abuse you?

Hence, I said a girl should not be blamed for men's perverted attitude.

A guy behaving this way, is a result of his wrong upbringing, not the girl's dressing.

And ofcourse one has to dress appropriately, you cannot enter a shopping mall in a swimming costume, that is a totally different issue, and it has nothing to do with a man's perversion.

sindmani, Bavishya, subha2705 and 2 others like this.
  10. darmesh

darmesh Platinum IL'ite

That exactly is, the point, what the OP , 'anika987' was trying to drive home !

Last edited: Mar 21, 2014
    1 person likes this.