1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dress Codes

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Jun 4, 2019.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Sartorial blues for TN government employees. The state government has come down on casual wear in offices.The government staff have been ordered to come to office in either trousers and shirts or veshti (dhoti), of course with shirts or did you think they could flaunt a topless torso like Salman Khan.?

Women employees too must be dressed either in saris or salwar -kameez.No jeans and tees for both men and women.

I heaved a sigh of relief on reading this news. Thank God (if there is a God) that I am not a TN government employee. The only thi g you can see me around in public is in tees and jeans. If you see a guy anywhere who looks like a cross between Hamid Karzai and Narendra Modi in tees and jeans, it most probably must be me.

My tees are mostly collarless and have bizarre slogans or quotes on themOf tem my favourite is by Woody Allen: ""I would believe in God if he gives me a sign, like putting a few million dollars in my Swiss bank account". May be I too would believe in God if he comes up with such a mracle.

Oh, oh. I just can't get rid of ths bad habit of going off on a tangent. We are talking about dress code and not about God, right?. While I find pants and shirts as office wear to be perfectly okay I have always viewed dhoti as wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen.

One strong breeze and voila! it could turn into a flying carpet and you will be left chasing it in your underwear (Please make it a point to wear it). How can you concentrate on work when you are always worried about when your dhoti will
    unravel?

But my feeling is , these guys just wrap ita around their waists and forget about it/ They don't have the feeling that they are wearing it at all. Once or twice when I tried it I got the impression of nakedness. So wardrobe malfunction is the last thing in their minds.

My club has a dress code too. No tees with logos is one of the rules. Everyone from president of the club downwards violates it.

Once while on a trip to Assisi, Italy, I was the only o ne to be allowed into St.Francis' basilica as I was in jeans and tees and was the only member of my group to be allowed in. The others were in shorts and it seems dresses revealing knees were considered sinful by the Catholic church

As far as government dress codes are considered, I would prefer to deal with collarless tees with slogans than those in formal attire. Particularly guys sporting ties bring forth in me, a weird cocktail of rage and nervousness.

Frankly government staff, at least those dealing with the public dealing must wear collarless tees with lines , in my view. That would pu the public more at ease than guys with suits and ties. The lines on the tees could range from a polite ' MAY I HELP YOU?" to a rude but honest "GREASE MY PALMS OR F*** OFF"!

2. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

Dear @Balajee ,

Welcome back!! You did go off all over the place before coming to what you have to say! I for one, feel some sort of dress code is essential, call me old school! But dress code or not, I would not want to work any government offices anyways :)

I just stepped in to say "Welcome back".

3. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

Welcome back! I welcome Pants, shirts, sarees and salwars but definitely not dhoti unless it is new Velcro dhoti or something you can wear like a pant and still looks like dhoti. Sometimes, I wonder how the TN Ministers still maintain their dignity wearing dhoti in public if they have to visit cyclone affected areas. Pattapatti underwear must give them the confidence to wear dhoti, I guess.

Now, I notice even some Tamil actors started wearing dhoti to public meetings to demonstrate that they are Tamilians. Hmmm, only guy with Jeans and Tee was permitted to visit Basilica? Everyone else came in shorts?

I remember an incident inside the Vatican city when my son had dreading in his hair with a tight bandana. He badly wanted to pay his respect to Pope John Paul and when he went to kneel down, he was gently told to remove his bandana as it is disrespectful to wear it. Our whole family is a big fan of Pope John Paul.

4. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

Good to see you back. I agree there should be some uniform, but pajama jhabbas would be much more practical to wear to work. Definitely more than dhotis.

God would do well to consult some experts before creating the world next time around. What could he be thinking of when he created legs, knees, arms, face, hair and various sinful parts of the anatomy which need to be swathed under some form of clothing or the other?

Viswamitra likes this.
  5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

[Q

As for God Satchi do you know nuns bathe fully dressed? The brilliant logic is God is all seeing and he could be watching them have a bath. A n voyeur almighty? Such all-seeing God should not bother about shots and knees as he could have X-ray vision.

satchitananda likes this.
  6. Amulet

Amulet IL Hall of Fame

This is an unnecessary worry.

In a few wedding occasions I had seen desi girls bring home forin grooms (and their families) for a complete hindu wedding. Groom exposes his chest to all, and wears silk-bordered dothi in both legs-separated and normal-informal styles. And the helper(s) who dress him up, always make sure to add a belt over the dothi. This belt thing has become de rigueur for dothi wearers seen riding on scooters.

I had also noticed the priests at the weddings wearing fanny packs (a belt, and a store for essentials in a pocketless situation-- a Two in One) over their dothi's at the waist. A clever thing indeed !!

And some of these fanny packs are sold in matching colors -- off white and slightly browned, like a well-worn dothi that had been washed in city-delivered water through rusting pipes.
    [​IMG]

Viswamitra likes this.
  7. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Welcome back, old boy! Does a man miss a man? Well, I did surely!
    For my comments on the post, read @Viswamitra He has echoed my intended response much better than I could have ever done!

Balajee and Viswamitra like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Viswa nowadays they have a hybrid called dhoti pants which looks like panchakacham but can be worn like pants. Also nwadays you don't have to TIE a veshti, you can STICK it. There are velcro dhotis. believe it or nt with pockets! Despite everything I suspect the attire . What if two ends of the velcro dhotis appear to stick but betray you at the wrong moment by unravelling?? When I was in Italy I had the chance to meet the Pope at CaSTELl GFondolfo biut O skipped it. I don't kneel before these religious guys you see.

Viswamitra likes this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

10. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

I really admire those who make the veshti defy the gravitational pull but still hold that it is a wardrobe malfunction waiting to happen