1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dreading Documentaries

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Mar 5, 2015.

1. butterflyice

butterflyice Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

@Balajee, I was not talking about the culprit's wife's views, neither do I agree with her views or her husband's views. I havent talked about loose character anywhere. Where did you get that from?

I just watched the documentary. I found it hard to sit through the rapist's recounting the event as if it was a cricket commentary. I cannot even imagine what the parents of the girl must be going through.

My opinion of the documentary is that it appears to be a platform for the rapists. All the content therein is already known to us. The interviews of the wife, parents of the culprits seem to exonerate them! The juvenile's mom seems to be justifiying his behaviour citing their poverty.

The fact that these culprits and their lawyers are able to say what they have said without culpability is itself an indication of the support that their mindset has in India. It's hard for me to imagine that this documentary will change their way of thinking or spur them into action.

2. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Agree 100% with you. guesshoo

3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

When did I say you were talking about the culprit's wife's remarks on women's dependence on men? I talked about it. Nor did I say you talked about loose character. IThat was in reference to the comment by a relative of mine. What I said was there is a tendency to see women who keep late hours as loose characters., This documentary cannot be dismissed as mere showcase for the culprits. The culprit's statement here becomes the lauching pad for examining the general attitude towards women.

1 person likes this.
  4. Scorpio707

Scorpio707 Platinum IL'ite

@Balajee - I would like to first thank you for this post,since I was under the impression that the video was off the internet as per the online news. I looked up in "Youtube" only later,else would have missed it.

I am surprised why so much ruckus is being made about the documentary...is it because the details of the case has been exposed globally ?? Or because our government does want to tarnish the image of the "Developed,Cultural, and Technology" and what not....you know the joke you mentioned is right..LOL..imagine the cop saying Delhi is a very safe :| , even after all that happened and still continues to take place.

The Defense Lawyers seemed even more ruthless..what about comparing women to flowers and diamonds, men to be like thorns and dogs..was wondering if he is talking about himself...having said this sincerely hope amendments are made not for this trial but our government makes India a safer place for all. It is not enough to promote just "Education for girl", what happens to that girl when she grows up to a fine woman in the society, her safety must be of the utmost import.

Only then we can say - We are a developed country. Thank you.

2 people like this.
  5. dsmenon

dsmenon Gold IL'ite

Every one is entitled to their opinion. From my POV i think there are a few reasons y this should not be aired

First - The interview with the rapist. How did he get an opportunity to wear good clothes and come in front of the media? Yes, many people are arguing that we shud get to know the mindset of the rapist. Dint we already know that when he committed the crime? Why would we want to listen to HIM go over and over again about the account[​IMG]? Instead of giving him punishment we gave him a celebrity status. Who has gained anything listening to him?

Second - Patriarchy is problem everywhere in the world. By making it only India's problem and calling the documentary "india's daughter" that definitely is for TRP. Crimes like Rapes, Domestic violence etc happens in every corner of the world. Male domination is not just India's problem. If you read or see any international newspapers or international news channel; when a case like this happens and public opinion is taken there are people who blame the woman (for various reasons).

Third - After banning the documentary the media publishing it in Youtube isnt that a disrespect to nation's authority? So you are an international agency and you give a **** about other countries authority? And the release is definitely for publicity and revenue not for awareness.

Fourth - The way to curb this problem is not by making any documentary or portraying an entire nation based on a few individuals' opinion; it is by educating[​IMG] boys and girls about consent from young age; having harsh punishments and stricter laws, enforcing the law. This change cannot and will not happen overnight it is going to take time. Our country is still young, we need to give it time to mature. Yes, i understand it should not be at the cost someone's life but it should also not be by condemning a whole nations male population. I am sure all men in our country does not think like the lawyers or like the perp. Then why label the entire nation BAD???

Yes, we do have our problems but we don't want a foreign country or foreign nationals to come and tell us we are BAD people.

I don't know if they are right or wrong, but this is what i think.

8 people like this.
  6. armummy

armummy Platinum IL'ite

I don't want to watch the documentary because I can't sit and watch a pervert shooting his mouth . Second I don't have the courage to listen to attocities commited on the girl and he just causally explaining how they went about .

I don't know the contents of the documentary but the only portion which was highlighted in media was this perverts nterview. I don't think he should be allowed to speak at all , I would have been happy if they waited instead and showed live telecast of hanging him to death . The picture which is flashing across the media shows him in civil dress .. Really he is not in jail cloths also .

and I don't understand why you are attributing his views to entire nation . No it does not represent me , it represent a minority and those perverts will not change by seeing the documentary , instead other perverts will get ideas of torture .. This is my personal opinion and I may be wrong but I always think if publicizing gory details of rape may result in more similar cases like after the twin hanging girls case , I see more similar cases reported . Instead I think they need to report but report the consequences faced by culprit after rape , give death to every rapist irrespective of the brutality .

and finally Rape happens everywhere in most advance countries too so it is not a rare phenomenon of India that politicians give bizzare excuses like tourism to justify ban . Most countries release advisories for their citizens to be safe and not travel alone in night in India but that does not mean we treat these perverts and countries issuing or people issuing safeguards in the same category .

3 people like this.
  7. Viswamitra

Viswamitra IL Hall of Fame

Dear Balajee,

I watched "India's daughters". I have the same opinion expressed by dsmenon as well as armummy above. I agree with the ban on airing that video in India. I don't see the purpose of taking a documentary and that too pay the condemned criminal to give an interview two years after the incident. By paying the criminal (as per report he demanded Rs 2,00,000 and BBC agreed to pay Rs.40,000), BBC proved that their purpose is not to bring awareness but to find something newsworthy. To be fair, BBC can spend their time looking at crimes committed in their own nation everyday against minority. The police and judiciary did everything as fast as they could to punish the people responsible. The statement by the police and judiciary is covered for a few minutes whereas the coverage for the condemned criminals is disproportionately higher. If BBC is so worried about India's daughters, they should give equal amount of coverage on the video interviewing the cops and judiciary how this case was fast tracked responding to the emotionally charged Indians as much as the time given for the condemned criminal and voices of the lawyers defending those criminals. It is my view that what BBC did, is not responsible reporting. I am pretty sure if they were covering the criminals in U.K, they would have interviewed the police extensively to communicate how severe actions were taken. They were literally reopening the case in the eyes of the public when the criminals were already sentenced to death.

Having said all that, I am of the view that looking at women who are out late night or dressed the way they like, as deserved to be punished is outright wrong. Press covering such statements are also irresponsible.

Viswa

5 people like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Scorpio I agree with you 100. Instead of witch-hunting people who make films that shows the dirty underbelly of Indian society, the government should get its act together and take stringent steps to prevent rapess.. De;hi is a city very conducive ror rapes because , most of the police force is deployed for protecting VIPs. So why doesn't the ruling class offload some of the cops deployed to protect its rear and use them for patrolling this unsafe city.

2 people like this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

DS Menon Frankly nothing should be bvanned. Banning is an instrument used by people who can't counter an Idea with a better idea. The rapist's interview here is used to reflect on the vice like grip of patriarchy and reduction of women to subordinate citizens. Can you deny that? Patriarchy exists everywhere is no excuse. Two wrongs do not a right make.As for disrespect to the authority, respect must be earned not given freely. Have those in power earned respect? The ban itself has made them a laughing stock.I think your suggestions for curbing the problem are valid and must be acted upon but that is no reason for saying that the documentary should not be aired. Those who call the shots must watch the documentary and learn to brush up their act.

3 people like this.
  10. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

While I am all for free speech and an open discussion of India's problem with rape, I can't get behind this documentary. I don't support the ban however. Muzzling free speech, no matter how moronic, is never a good idea. This is what the maker of this documentary had to say,

nzVkwFY.jpg

She went on to say "It is very sad but it is hardly surprising, in any way. And it does not really worry me because this is a sick society. And look where the men are looking – they are looking in the wrong direction. They are looking to keep the status quo. They want to keep their power; they do not want women to be emancipated. So, of course, they react like this."

All I see is a woman with a 'White Man's burden' complex. So all Indian men are sick? I should ask the poor men in my life how many women they raped today!

6 people like this.