1. Handy Kitchen Tips that You cannot Miss : Solutions for all your Problems
    Dismiss Notice

Drapes and curtains - Materials

Discussion in 'Home Decoration & Improvement' started by coolsandy, Sep 21, 2014.

1. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

We are planning to buy new set of drapes for our home. More like thick drapes. My home is located on the top most floor and there is lot of ventilation in all the rooms. Some windows get direct sunlight and some do not. As far as winters are concerned, it doesn't get that extreme cold in Hyd, so not really looking for lined/insulated drapes.

The floor has beige/fuchsia colored tiles, though fuchsia ones form a border in the hall. So, I am planning for some color co-ordinated drapes which gives aesthetic look and is also pleasant at the same time.

I would be visiting furnishing stores, here. But I want to get an idea on different kinds of materials that would suit my home. Or for that matter, any other color combo, prints etc that I can go for? Cleaning and washing those curtains? How do I choose if it can go into a washing machine? I really do not want to spend at those dry cleaning stores, but would do so if it demands. :)

Anything, any info would be really helpful to me.

2. RuchiG

RuchiG New IL'ite

Hi there, i do have same colored tiles at home with similar criteria of some windows in full sunlight and some none. If you are looking for drapes which can be washed in washing machine avoid buying material with thread work on it. The moment it is washed threads become loose. I would recommend floral prints as they are enhanced in sunlight lit windows but also look nice in darker windows. Go for lighter shades of floral pattern so that they vary in color depending on light intensity :)

Cheers!!
    Ruchi

1 person likes this.
  3. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Just check about the wash ability with the store. I would go for thick silk(or like silk) beige ones(backing for ones facing sun...rest without backing).Rest I would fill with fuchsia tissue/linen /or any translucent material.

1 person likes this.
  4. coolsandy

coolsandy Gold IL'ite

Thank you, Ruchi. I would definitely look out for washing instructions.
    YM, thank you for tips on color combination.