1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dr. Ericson and Slumdog Millionaire

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by radsahana, Jan 27, 2010.

1. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

Such was the profound effect of the movie "Slumdog Millionaire", that it affected me here in small town of USA.

It happened that i had a neck pain, for 2 days i was somehow bearing, but since i also happened to be a mother of 2 kids, one toddler, who is soooooo naughty, that i cant afford to allow it to heal on his own.

So i have decided to finally go to the Doctor. After searching the Doctors nearby, yes here in USA, we first should have insurance, next, call that doctors, and ask them whether they accept our Insurance!!!!! (In India, we have to just hop in to the clinic).

So i finally got the appointment around 1 pm. I thought that is ok, since i have to go aroudn 2 pm to pick my kids from playgroup and school respectiv. Also my indian mind assumed, appointment here are very much on time:bowdown

When i went to the clinic on the appointed day and time, after the initial paper work, the receptionist asked me to wait. Hoping that anymoment i will be called, i was looking around the clinic, observing the other patients.
    To my dismay, even around 1.15 pm i was not called. I went to the receptionist and told her my predicament, about picking my kids, since that time i didnt had car, and used to go by bus, i have timed the bus to pick kids. If i miss 2 pm bus, then ther is a gap of 25 mins.

Anyway i have been called inside aroudn 1.20 pm. Dr. Ericson was heavily built tall man, seeing me he said Good Morning Young Lady (I was too happy :)).

But I was not prepared for the next question, Are you Indian??? (I said when the doctors started doing racism !!!!!!!!) I said yes, then came another question, "Do i come from Mumbai" "I said yes" . I didnt know where this was leading, then immdly he said " I saw "Slumdog Millionaire Movie". :I am seeing first time Bollywood Movie. Meanwhile he totally forgot i was patient:bowdown( i was looking at my watch continously)

Further he asked me "Does that really happens, Muslim people being killed, Kids being tortured".

Although i may not be contributing substantially to uplift my motherlands name, i dont want to think anybody so bad of her for that matter.

Immediately i told him, there are places like "Bronx" here (Bronx is a very notorious place in Newyork, for goons, muggers,etc...., Luckily last weekend only i saw some english movie based on "Bronx" area)
    So there is some place like it in mumbai. I also said to him there are lot of NGOS are there to take care of orphan children and who are working for the growth and betterment of children.

Then i politely said him doc, i have to rush to bring my kids, can he diagonise me now !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! He said oh sure sure.

At last he offered me to comeback again for the "FREE SWINFE FLU" vaccination next week, maybe hoping to have chit chat on "Bollywood":)

At the end of the day i was little happy to clear the docs perspective about our India, that whole of india is not a such bad place.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2010

2. sabarimathi

sabarimathi Gold IL'ite

3. Jpatma

Jpatma Silver IL'ite

Dear,
    True the slumdog has got the world's attention, but sad that it did paint a poor picture of India. Somehow negative aspect gets attention more than positive aspect.

Most of the people who live abroad think there is nothing but poverty in India, so i try to tellthem some of them live in opulence. Same goes for girls, they think all Indian girls wear saree and just nod their head, i used to tell them i am sorry they are fashionable and are very confident.
    Jaya

4. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear radsahana,
    You have done anice job by talking about the negative side of US. But dear, as jeya said people get attracted by negative things
    in a movie or they want to grasp things that are favorable to them. Why the doctor cannot view the film in the positive angle which says in India even slum dwelling people are smart and brilliant!!!! Even before so many our own Indian famous directors enjoyed the fame by depicting India's negative side only.
    with love
    pad

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

Hi radhika,

I am sure you did your little bit to convince Dr Ericson that India is not entirely like what he saw in that movie.:)

I have also wondered why Mumbai is always shown as slums, or as the hub of drug dealers and gang men. Or a busy metro where nobody has time for anyone else? There are so many nice shades also to that city (of course what else do you expect from a once mumbaikar :)) which I wish would be portrayed on the big screen.

6. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Radhika,

You should have charged him fees for giving him information that he did not have.HAHAHAAHAAHAHA

good one, loved it.

regards

kamal

7. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

dear sabarimathi,

thanks for the fb. have a gr8 day.

8. radsahana

radsahana Silver IL'ite

dear jayama

thanks for the fb. you are very true about the negative aspects gettign highlighted. Now more than earlier people think india about poverty ridden country.

Forget about the lacs of software professionals coming out of india, Thousands of Software companies topping the list of best IT companies, normal people dont have any inkling about it :bowdown

have a gr8 day.

9. Tubelight

Tubelight Bronze IL'ite

Hi !
    God bless you for doing your bit to redeem the honour of our motherland !:)

But, sadly, movies do become templates through which we form notions about any country . In India, the image of America , in the eyes of those who do not have exposure to the real thing, is only the image inferred from Hollywood movies. The ordinary man on the street thinks Americans are rich, foul mouthed , oversexed, amoral, of dysfunctional families and ready to shoot always !
    Its always sad to read reports of foreign ladies( tourists) being molested India because the loafers (guides, autorickshaw drivers, lodge owners etc) think white women are game for anything . Such an idea comes from their movies.
    Once, India was thought of as a land of " Fakirs and Snakecharmers", now all Indians are "slumdogs "!

10. Raechel

Raechel Senior IL'ite

Hi,

Even I had an experience, like an year or so back I was visiting my SIL in Europe, we were having dinner with an English family, I was wearing a fashionable footwear, The lady asked my SIL , " D......., nice foot wear, did u get it from C........" to which my SIL replied, No she got it from India, the lady looked at her in disbelief and said, are you sure,do u get such stuff in India.

My SIL's face was actually red with anger, she gave that lady a very polite and concise version of Akshay Kumar's speech in "Namastey London", but i dont thing she actually believed that we get really good and fashionable stuff ion India, to most of them India is a land of " Fakirs and Snakecharmers", of course with a few exceptions.