1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Dozens unaccounted for in apartment fire

Discussion in 'Indians in Connecticut' started by Nandshyam, Apr 27, 2008.

1. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

NORWICH, Connecticut (AP) -- A fast-moving fire destroyed a large apartment complex early Saturday, and authorities were looking for dozens of people reported unaccounted for.
    <!--startclickprintexclude--> <!-- PURGE: /2008/US/04/26/apartment.fire.ap/art.fire.ap.jpg --><!-- KEEP --> [​IMG]Firefighters in a ladder truck spray smoldering remains of the 12-building apartment complex.

No deaths had been confirmed, but Fire Chief Ken Scandariato said he couldn't rule out the possibility that some residents may not have escaped.

<!-- /PURGE: /2008/US/04/26/apartment.fire.ap/art.fire.ap.jpg -->
    <script type="text/javascript"> var CNN_ArticleChanger = new CNN_imageChanger('cnnImgChngr','/2008/US/04/26/apartment.fire.ap/imgChng/p1-0.init.exclude.html',1,1); //CNN.imageChanger.load('cnnImgChngr','imgChng/p1-0.exclude.html'); </script> <!--endclickprintexclude--> He said 105 of the estimated 150 residents of the Peachtree Garden Apartments have been found . He said some may have gone to stay with friends and relatives, but he added: "It's a question right now. It's in question."
    Scandariato said the wreckage was still too hot by late morning to allow the use of arson dogs or cadaver dogs, and officials expected to be at the scene until at least Sunday afternoon.
    The fire was reported at 1:30 a.m. in a 12-building apartment complex with a common roof. Two of the buildings were engulfed by flames by the time firefighters arrived, and tenants were calling for help, Scandariato said.
    Firefighters and police officers ran door to door to alert anyone still inside, he said.
    Fire alarms were working, but the complex didn't have a sprinkler system because that wasn't required when it was built in 1976. The entire structure was engulfed in flames within minutes.
    <!--endclickprintexclude--> "It got ahead of us," Scandariato said. "It was just too much fire to mount an attack to stop it."
    Mohammad Sundal, 43, was spending his first night in his one-bedroom apartment when he awoke to the smell of smoke. His living room was already on fire, he said.
    "It was so intense, the fire," Sundal said. "If I stayed for two more minutes, trust me, it was going to burn me."
    Beverly Creed and her son, Travis, 17, were awakened by a downstairs neighbor. The complex's courtyard was on fire as they ran to safety.
    "It was scary," she said. "I just grabbed my purse and pair of sandals to put on."
    Another tenant, Carol Rice, said she heard an explosion. "Then I opened my glass sliding door, and the flames were just flying everywhere," she said. She escaped wearing a bathrobe and slippers.
    "Oh, my God. I'm a total wreck," she said, sobbing. "My pills, all my medications are burnt."
    Investigators didn't know whether the fire started inside or outside the complex. The Fire Department was working with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives and the state fire marshal's office.
    <!--endclickprintexclude--> Tenants were being taken to a nearby school set up for use as an emergency shelter.
    Norwich is about 40 miles east of Hartford.

CNN Reports

2. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

Hope everyone's save and if any IL please do post about your safety.

3. Sriniketan

Sriniketan IL Hall of Fame

Nandhu,
    It is very sad to hear this news..Hope, the missing tenants are safe in their friends and relatives houses...will pray for their safety...

sriniketan