1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dowry harassment in USA

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by sruthi2846, Mar 31, 2010.

1. sruthi2846

sruthi2846 New IL'ite

Hi all,

Can some one guide me how to fight against dowry harassment from Husband and in laws in USA. my husband is demanding for more money from my parents and me right from the first day of our marraige. He is threatening me if I don't accept his demands he is going to give divorce. He is asking me to deposit all the money what ever I am earning to deposit into his bank account. other wise he is going to leave me alone. He is not sharing his responsibilities for house hold expenses. we have a one child and I am unable to bear all these expenses.
    Can some one tell me how to fight this situation inusa. what are the laws which are against dowry and harassment.

2. Tridev

Tridev Silver IL'ite

Not sure what you are tyring to do? can you fight dowry related and stay in marriage? you have to first walk out and then fight, in US there are no dowry laws, in India you can file, but you need to have proof, some emails, some recorded conversations, its not easy to prove dowry, women are taking advantage of dowry laws in India to great extent to get even in divorce or seperation, courts are careful about what women say . there has to be solid proofs, and moreover when you file for dowry harrassment you should be prepared to walk out of marriage then and there

In US the laws are agains physical abuse and not mental harrassment in domestic violence

Last edited: Mar 31, 2010
  3. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

4. Tugga

Tugga Silver IL'ite

Do you want to stay in this marriage and fight against your husband and ILs for their dowry demands? I am sorry, it is not a good idea, and I wouldn't advice you to go ahead.

If he is abusive (verbal or physical) careless (no responsibility towards his own family and kid) and threatening for divorce, then there is no point in continuing this marriage?

Do not say that you want to work out this marriage for the sake of your kid? No kid will be happy and peaceful if their parents are not responsible and fighting like evils for such dowry matters.

I am sure you can be a good mom to your kid. That's enough and far better than forcing him to live with a irresponsible abusive dad.

Since you have a job in hand, it wouldn't be that difficult for you to walk out and start a home for you. Don't think your DH will follow you and continue to abuse you like in Indian movies if you chose to walk out, because you are in USA now, and I am sure their legal system will protect you from all the abuses.

Find some good friends in your circle, get them help you to find a comfortable house for you.. Look for a decent day care center for your kid if applicable.. When everything is done, pack your bags and move on.

If you still want to file for dowry harrasment case, then collect needful supportive documents (e mails, bank slips, etc...) and try to consult a lawyer before filing your case.

Do not think what your parents and society will think about you. The society will always have something to comment, but your life is very important to you. People in the US wouldn't discriminate you based on your marital status.

You deserve a better peaceful life, and your DH doesn't deserve a wife at all:bonk

KashmirFlower likes this.
  5. Foundlove

Foundlove Gold IL'ite

Dear,
    If he is physically or mentally abusing you..you can call the cops.

Otherwise you need to file for divorce.

You can also take "Order of Protection" from courts so he has to stay away from you and you can file divorce.

Please explain more in details so we can answer accordingly.

FL.

6. roses_bloom

roses_bloom Junior IL'ite

You seriously need to talk to a lawyer and not go by what ppl tell you on an anonymous online forum.

It doesn't matter how things are handled in India (like Tridev suggested, although, I wish he would check his facts before making sweeping statements).

Anyway, call a lawyer. Many are able to give a free consultation so they can atleast tell you your rights in this country even if they don't handle your case or represent you.

7. sruthi2846

sruthi2846 New IL'ite

Thanks for your reply,

actually my husband lied to us before marraige regarding educational certificates and job. He literally used me to come to USA. I am looking for ways to punish him, so that he will not repeat the same with another gal. If I give divorce right away I can foresee his plans that he will marry another gal from India saying that he is working in some company and will take dowry again (This not just my thought I know his cheap tricks to get free money some how)

Can you provide some lawyers list who has knowledge on dowry harassment.

8. BeeAmma

BeeAmma Silver IL'ite

So is he really harassing you or are you trying to get back at him for lying about his qualifications?

9. sruthi2846

sruthi2846 New IL'ite

I came to know about his educational qualifications 2 years back, but I kept quite thinking that he is taking care of me, he is my husband, I got married wat so ever. But at this moment he came up with 3 to 4 demands saying that

1. what ever student loan I have should be beared by my parents (this student loan includes my Masters expenses)

2. demanding for a new flat from my parents

3.Deposit what ever money I have in my bank account to my husbands account. - he threatened saying that if I don't deposit he will give divorce to me.

4. When I denied. he cancelled his credit card, cancelled phone connection and stopped sharing the house hold expenses.

I am first looking for a chance, so that he will change. Other wise if he gets divorce from me he should be punished so that he will not repeat the same with another gal.

10. RadiantCat

RadiantCat Gold IL'ite

Please... no sentiments when you are abused. Do you think there's marriage here? Why are you becoming a scape goat? The choice is yours, whether you want to live an ethical and a peaceful life or get harrassed.