1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dowry givers too should be prosecuted - Delhi Court

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by Visu2k, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

I am fully against giving or accepting dowry. But I somehow feel that there is a bit of hypocrisy in this judgment as I am sure even the judge must have seen marriages built on dowry in her relatives, friends or neighborhood. I would have been at ease only if this rule is enforced more strictly in all marriages.

On the other hand I feel this is a great judgment as both the families are equally responsible for this mess and should be prosecuted for violating the law.

Source article

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010

2. zingy

zingy Local Champion Staff Member Platinum IL'ite

Very good judgement
    It should also be enacted as law (Not sure if one exist).
    Nowadays it is like agreement. Previously people used to ask for thing
    Now it is like bride's family will itself advertise We are giving 100 sovereigns, this much cash,house ,car etc blah blah for our daughter and then start searching for the match.
    I havent seen a single marriage in my family and friend circle without dowry except for some love marriages . Well there are exceptions even in love marriages One of my friends got married against her parent's wishes now she asks her parents for jewels etc .When questioned She said it is for her self respect in inlaws house .
    I could not understand what has self respect go to do with amount of gold given by parents ?

Is respect directly proporational to networth of dowry :bonk
    And also it is applicable only for girls who are brought up with same love and equally educated and working in corporate as the guys .

I could not help think about a wedding of collegue I attended . Groom and bride was of equal educational qualification and working in IT . Groom had got almost everything he needed for household starting from Vessels ,bucket ,fridge,TV,mixer ...... car , house for free along with the bride ....hmm I actually saw dustbin too. In simple words Bride's family bought the Groom with all the things listed .

3. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Zingy, Indian law prohibits both giving or receiving of dowry. But Indian marriages being private affairs and the fact that there is tacit acceptance in the society for this unethical practice, this law is rarely enforced. More often, the fact that dowry was demanded or paid, comes out when things fall out during or after marriage. If everything works fine no one even mentions that such a thing happened.

People justify about dowry in several ways:

1. Taking dowry for a male child to pay off for the marriage expenses or the fact that he has sisters to be married off with dowry themselves.

2. Justifying, the concept of dowry as being practical and worldly and discounting those who oppose it being immature trouble makers or as having not seen enough of world - this happened in my case but I didn't budge and had my way

3. Paying dowry to compensate for the difference in education levels, accomplishments (or the fact that the groom is a NRI) between the bride and groom

4. Parents having only girl children justify as everything after them is the girl's, so they don't mind contributing part of her share as dowry.

5. Several example of marriages of relatives or friends that had dowry as contributing factor were successful. This may be true in specific cases but there is no proof that dowry helps making marriage a success

6. Even when no demand are made the parents who can afford, do leave no stone unturned in arranging a decent marriage with the keen desire to earn a lasting name in society. The extravaganza of marriage is only to be matched with an equally extravagant dowry in form of pricey gifts, property and cash.

7. I have seen some guys (funny to see guys getting concerned!) explaining that if they didn't take dowry, the parents of the girl deprive the girl of her "rightful" share of her inheritance and the inheritance would then go to her male siblings.

I think, that it needs a phenomenal change in peoples attitude in the way the perceive marriage as an institution. They should come to accept that a marriage involves equal partnership and neither the groom nor bride need to bring anything extra to make it work.

4. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

I don't accept blaming the groom alone here - the gifts are contributed for the bride too and she tacitly accepted these presents for her own reasons. She is concerned about her marriage only and it was acceptable and reasonable to her that her husbands wishes are taken care of, regardless of the fact that they both have careers that would allow them buy all this stuff. The feeling here is like even if one earn in lacs, one would stop his car to pick a 10 rupee note lying on road side. Also there may have been any of the dynamics that I listed in my above note at play.

5. zingy

Agree with you :).
    I was actually blamming Bride for allowing to buy and groom for allowing to be bought.Mistakes lies on both sides when people argue with the parent for petty thing Why cant they put a step forward and say I will not 'Buy or be Bought'

kudos to you :bowdown for taking that step :thumbsup

6. aruna_077

aruna_077 Senior IL'ite

Apart from dowry, I guess the major expense lies in arranging a grand, lavish wedding in itself. As a step forward, I insist the wedding cost be borne by bride and groom equally!!

7. zingy

I have heard this from some of my friends and collegue too . :rotfl

Well said

8. Visu2k

Visu2k Gold IL'ite

Very sensible.

I already know few cases where both bride and groom families contributed equally in the marriage expenses. I agree with you that if the groom and bride are well settled in their careers, they should insist to bear their marriage expenses themselves. I hope we will see these kind of marriages more in the future.

9. ShilpaMa

ShilpaMa IL Hall of Fame

And how to define a dowry giver? When everything is shadowed under gifts to daughter/ minimal rituals. Also a particular educated ilite here told me to compare apples to oranges between mine and SILs marriage and always boasts of her own gifts? There was another mention by an ilite that her Bro's wedding was done in a pathetic manner....

If the parents marry a girl with gifts, it can be called dowry.
    If they dont give anything then she has nothing at all with her as Streedhan for emergency times.

I think India also needs to impose certain norms the way its in Pakistan about wedding menu & minimum and maximum items that can be given to a gal.
    Wasn't the same shown in the movie Rajneeti where the father decided that he can spend 300cr for a groom = chief minister and claimed that his daughter can fall in love with the man he chooses for her. Firstly media has to stop all this and high budget marriage oriented movies which teach a lot of trash to the viewers.

MILs close competitor her own SIL always claimed that she can easily find a bride family from a north indian city for her son who can arrange a marriage of 50-60L and beyond........... which seemed to be a root cause of frustration for MIL... also because another SIL did find such a match and a totally in control DIL.. who shall sit and stand as per her MILs directives. People have everything still they love to show off... their son's price tag.

Of recent MIL appears to be at peace which is reflecting into my life as well and just cant stop smiling & mocking at her bragging SIL whose son fell in love with a batchmate and will definitely not get 1/20 of expected cash and infact the bride is at a high corporate ladder. Inlaws talked to me in a cheerful manner after a long time and I was wondering :idea:biglaugh. I hope this peace continues for everyone who's effected in similar fashion.

10. flowerlady

flowerlady IL Hall of Fame

Dowry was actually the girls share of her inheritance much before the laws were enacted giving the DD an equal share as her brothers.
    Gold was given so that she has some thing to fall back upon in times of need as its streedhan. After all the sons do get property and other things after parents pass away . Even today not many brothers and bhabis would like to part with a sisters share .
    The new law is great , people demand dowry because there are people ready to fulfill their demands and more !
    Both the giver as well as the taker should be taken to task.
    Why cry after giving a hefty dowry that the boys family demanded it ? They could have refused the match there and then.
    Nobody gives or takes dowry at gun point and one can refuse and move on but no they love to have a high flying Son IL to flaunt.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2010