Down Syndrome Test-is it safe?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by hellocanada, Aug 18, 2007.

sequentisl screeing is important for indian ladies.

Poll closed May 31, 2009.
  1. yes

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. no

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. optional

1 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Lesser than expected BPD during scan

Hi,

A very close friend of mine was asked to go for a scan at the beginning of her 4th month to check for Down's syndrome. But, they sent her back saying that the BPD was only 28 when it should have been 33. Her family is worried. They have asked her to come back after two weeks.

What is BPD and is this a cause of concern? Please provide as much info as you can on this.

Regards,
    Poornima.

2. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Re: Lesser than expected BPD during scan

Hi Poornima,

BPD stands for Bi Parietal Diameter of the fetus and is a part of fetal biometry.
    Each body part of the fetus is measured during Ultrasound to see its proper growth and to assess the gestational age. You can go through the following link:

2nd and 3rd Trimester Ultrasound Scanning

3. lee50

lee50 Silver IL'ite

Hi

I had been for Down Marker's test after 13 weeks. At that time my BPD showed gestation of 13 weeks 5 days.

Down Marker's test is usually done between 11 - 13 weeks. I am not exactly sure of the full form of BPD as explained by one of the IL's to your query. Down Marker's test is usually done to test the fetus for down's syndrome and nucheal luscency and age is taken into consideration. It is done based on your USG and blood sample taken. Based on this test the gynaec may seggregate as high risk or low risk pregnancy.

You can ask the gynaec about the gestation for the BPD. This will clear your doubts.

Regards,
    Lynette

4. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

The brain has something called the parietal lobe right at the back of the skull. I am guessing a low score means a smaller head and they want to be sure if there are no other issues like growth retardation. Guessing! Only the U/sonologist and the gynaecologist can interpret this accurately and I think your friend should talk to her OB/GYN to find out what it could probably mean, to rest her mind and her family's.
    But I also think they have caught it quite early and should be able to advice her on the treatment required.
    Hope your friend's pregnancy is healthy and progressing well!

5. lamom

lamom New IL'ite

Sequential Screening

Hi i am 11 weeks pregnant,on my last visit i.e on my 9 weeks i was asked for Sequential Screening inbetween 11-13 weeks to check for baby spinal and brain etc...as an Optional test,my doctor it will be good to go for it ,but i am little concerned about the test ,fearing of any M/C after the test as i already had one M/C 6months back.Please advice me how the test will be ,what they do and any further risk after test to expect.Please please any answers requested ........

Last edited: May 11, 2009
  6. Asha123

Asha123 New IL'ite

Re: Sequential Screening

Hi There,

That test is not needed, u can just say the doctor that u dont need that test to be done, just dont worry, when i was pregnant, they asked me to get done, and i opeted for no based on my friend, (who is a doctor here in US ) advice.

Good luck with everything else.

7. Vinu4me

Vinu4me Senior IL'ite

Sharbani, Lynette and Krithika,

Thanks for your responses. Sharbani, I went through your link. It was very informative.

BTW, I friend went again yesterday for her scan... turns out that her BPD is normal!!!! The person who saw her scan had read 38 as 28!!! The scan people have been a bit careless. But, my friend as well as her entire family is very happy and relieved. Phew!!!

Thanks a lot friends for your timely responses!

Regards,
    Poornima.

8. sharbani

sharbani New IL'ite

Hi Poornima,

Thats great news...Congrats to your friend !!!

9. lamom

lamom New IL'ite

thanks a lot asha ,i really appreciate your response!!

10. Happysoul1234

Happysoul1234 Gold IL'ite

is this the nuchal translucency test to check for downs syndrome and spinal issues? if so, then get it done - all it involves is a finger prick and an ultrasound. this is a more accurate test than the amnio or afp done in the 2nd trimester. amnio carries a 2% miscarriage rate so if you can get the nuchal done, go for it!