1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Down memory lane(inspired by Sunkan!)

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Apr 27, 2007.

1. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Quite realistic post seen from our dear Sri sir's desk,

The knowledge, wisdom and humor is well known for Triplicane, Mylopore families.

All those rumblings of Typical middle class Triplicane household scenes well drafted with creative lines.
    The plight of innocent husbands to balance their better halves whims and fancies are the common events.
    It should be noted that those husbands are not to be taken as un capable of mastering over their wife's, but out of humanity to oblige and to give them the solace, they behave like that.
    These people are real genius in their respective fields which is to be noted.

As I spent some years at Big Street Bachelors quarters,Triplicane and seen many families in the neighbourhood and experianced those enthusitic people over the incidents happening around them.

All our Sri Sir's articles are a delight to read and thanks for the memoirs.

Subbu

2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamalji
    Henpecked? Never heard of that word? What does it imply? :mrgreen:
    As I was reading your reply, I was just contemplating why a recapitulation of the past is called 'down' memory lane and not up? Will write about it if and when I get an answer! :-D

Most of your posts are trips down memory lane and you have great expertise in it. I see that your nostalgic trip with your daughters is still among the top ten posts in IL!

I look forward to more from you!
    sri

3. Cheeniya

Dear Subbu
    Your very mention of Big Street gives me wings! That was the best part of my life. I studied in Hindu High School in Big Street and the Pillayar Temple there is my great favourite. I still visit it from time to time.

By mentioning about the middle class families of Triplicane, you have motivated me to write about them!

Thank you Subbu for your appreciation!
    Sri

4. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,

Is my blog about daughters in the top ten ? wow, i did not know it.And glad u liked it.

I have written one on Mumbai and posted yesterday.It may not be to yr taste, a bit naughty perhaps,so if u dont post a comment, fine with me.It did not have much response.I guess they like sentimental blogs more here,so will post only those .

I have around 400 blogs written,so will choose that taste and post here, leaving out the other ones.So as u can Say Sri, i have a lot of stock in the archives :-D

Regards.kamal

5. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri,

This was a good one.... Fortunately or unfortunately, I lived in one such house in Villivakkam... Though it is not 10 families it had four families....

We used to listen to vivithbarathi night songs and the movie vimarsanam from neighbours house which has the radio in the compound... At dinner times he will ask us to promptly either leave or join for dinner... So we promptly leave and stand outside the house and listen... Crazy....

Go to another neighbours house for sunday movies in DD paying 10 paise...

My mom comparing the cost of the vegetables i buy and my neighbour uncle buys from the market... If i purchased at 5 paise additional cost... I am finished for that day... there are times when my mom asked me to return the vegetables and bring the money back.....hahahaha...

The Landlord being a spinster, she used to shout at us and teach us manners... I always go bang at her door and run away.....

Enjoyed a lot....

With the Flat systems coming in we loose on all these things.... Today I tried to go and see that house.... It was totally demolished and a bit flat is there....

Veda

6. rajmiarun

rajmiarun Gold IL'ite

Dear Sri sir,

Not just in your good old days even in my childhood till I was 10 or probably 11, we never had a TV at home. It was a luxury we used to enjoy when we come to our Grandparent's house in Chennai. Wow both me and my brother used to keep looking at the clock and tyring to check up the time when the programs will start. It started at 5.30pm and the first one will be a children's program. And as it was holidays we were allowed to watch TV till we are sleepy and you know what we even watch the Vayalum Vazhvum also which used to come at 7 pm every night. Though my grandparents were living in Adayar and not in Triplicane. But my mother who lived in Mylapore till she got married keeps rambling all about her childhood days and so is my father who lived in so many places all through his childhood as my paternal grandfather was a govt school headmaster.

But Sri sir, how were you able to keep on for 3 days without eating. Please tell me the secret. Dont say that it was in your childhood. But still it is worth listening too.

My parents live in a place called Perungalathur, where the standard motors factory was located and where now the Shriram Properties are coming up in a big scale, which is still a middle class locality. Though there were only a few people in that place and almost all of us knew each other and their brothers and sisters by name gone were the days. I am hardly able to recognise one single person as the place have become a town from village.

Changes have taken place in a large extent, though still there are my good old friends who recognise me and whom I could recognise.

Thanks for your memoirs and thanks for kindling us to go back in our memory lane. As Kamalji said expecting episode 2 soon:mrgreen: .

7. subbutr

subbutr Senior IL'ite

Dear Sri sir,

I too studied for one year in 6th std at Hindu High School,and we were staying at kennet lane, Triplicane and there after my yearly vacations to spend time with my uncle who was staying ( opp. Hindu High School ) Mansion, during that time the Associated Editor of Nakkeran Mr. Kamaraj was staying. Those days morning tiffin at Ratna Cafe, Afternoon at Big street Iyer mess lunch, night dinner at Ratna cafe again like that years went on for my vacations.

I used to visit my fathers cousin Mr.Gurumurthy Chartered accountant ( Indian Express columnist ) at Mylapore.

It is refreshing thoughts when ever we visit Triplicane, evening walk at Marina Beach , periodical visits to Kabalishwar kovil Mylapore etc.,

Keep writing my dear Sri sir.

Subbu

8. Cheeniya

Dear Kamalji
    Your 'My idea of beauty' and 'Fireworks' are now in the top ten! To have two of your posts in top 10 is no mean achievement considering how new you are to this site! I am astounded to hear that you have over 400 blogs in your kitty!
    I dont think I'll ever be able to go that far in blogging!
    I'll double your Scotch for it is not often that you get to see a celebrity!:)
    Sri

9. Cheeniya

Dear Veda
    How excited we became when Vividh Bharathi came into being but soon it turned out to be a big bore! One of my neighbours , a north Indian, always called it Vidhava Bharathi!
    Tell me, I understand your spinster landlady shouting at everyone around her but how can she teach manners if she keeps shouting? Trying to figure out.
    My first son in law is also from Villiwakkam and now engaged in flat promotion in that area in a big way. His mum will go gaga whenever villiwakkam is mentioned to her!
    The vegetable issue used to figure in my house too in a different way. Whenever my dad pointed out the prices I paid were far higher than the mama next door paid, my mum always defended me saying, 'Look at this quality. Pinju pinja, kuzhantha porukki, porukki vangindu vandirukku. Anda aalu, platformla kooru katti vikkarava kitta vangindu vandiruppan!'
    Sri

10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Sri,
    Im touched by yr words.Thank u,but i am no celebrity,just that i write what comes to my mind.My blog dosnt take more than 20 mins to write,hecne u will find so many mistakes in them.

For a few days i was not able to think of a sunject of a blog, and now i found many.Yest i was watching 20 20, and the buxom girls dancing, brought out a blog.

Today an artilce inthe papers said guys who pee on the road, will be photographed and photos pasted all over town.Thats another blog.HAHA.

Yes we shall have an extra one, provided Mrs Sri gives the permission.Regards.kamal