Dont Waste Someone else's food...

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by blissofmylife, Mar 29, 2011.

1. blissofmylife

blissofmylife Silver IL'ite

I received this as a forwarded mail.. But made me think...I have personally felt like this and was happy to know that, there is nothing wrong in wat I feel.. Pls take to time read wat i felt...

Germany is a highly industrialized country...
    It produces top brands like Benz, BMW, Siemens etc. The nuclear reactor pump is made in a small town in this country.
    In such a country, many will think its people lead a luxurious life. At least that was my impression before my study trip. When I arrived at Hamburg, my colleagues who work in Hamburg arranged a welcome party for me in a restaurant.
    As we walked into the restaurant, we noticed that a lot of tables were empty. There was a table where a young couple were having their meal. There were only two dishes and two cans of beer on the table. I wondered if such simple meal could be romantic, and whether the girl will leave this stingy guy. I noticed that there were a few old ladies on another table….When a dish is served, the waiter would distribute the food for them, and they would finish every bit of the food on their plates. We did not pay much attention to them, as we were looking forward to the dishes we ordered. As we were hungry, our local colleague ordered more food for us.
    As the restaurant was quiet, the food came quite fast. Since there were other activities arranged for us, we did not spend much time dining. When we left, there was still about one third of unconsumed food on the table. When we were leaving the restaurant, we heard someone calling us. We noticed the old ladies in the restaurant were talking about us to the restaurant owner. When they spoke to us in English, we understood that they were unhappy about us wasting so much food.
    We immediately felt that they were really being too busybody. "We paid for our food, it is none of your business how much food we left behind," my colleague Gui told the old ladies. The old ladies were furious.
    One of them immediately took her hand phone out and made a call to someone. After a while, a man in uniform claimed to be an officer from the Social Security organization arrived. Upon knowing what the dispute was, he issued us a 50 Mark fine. We all kept quiet. The local colleague took out a 50 Mark note and repeatedly apologized to the officer.
    The officer told us in a stern voice,
    "ORDER WHAT YOU CAN CONSUME, MONEY IS YOURS BUT RESOURCES BELONG TO THE SOCIETY. THERE ARE MANY OTHERS IN THE WORLD WHO ARE FACING SHORTAGE OF RESOURCES. YOU HAVE NO REASON TO WASTE RESOURCES.´”

2. meerajesh59

meerajesh59 Gold IL'ite

Very true.

I have seen many people ordering everything in the restaurant, that the world is going to end on that day itself. will waste most of them they ordered. Very sad.

Thanks for Sharing.

3. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

The most shameful display of wastage of food is at my previous place of work, where the company used to provide bf and lunch in the canteen. It was a buffet - take as much as you like as many times as you like. At the end of the meal, everyone is supposed to pick up their own plates and deposit it in an area where one is supposed to sort out the plates, cutlery, cups and glasses oneself. There is a huge vessel for people to empty the rejects from their plates.

I used to be horrified to see people taking massive quantities of food (sometimes even when they did not know how it would be), trying out a spoonful and then chucking the rest into the bin without any trace of remorse. :rant:rant:rant:rant:rant It was awful seeing the bins overflowing with stuff that had been thrown out. And if I ever mentioned this I would be told by colleagues "Why don't you just be happy? Forgive them. It does not matter". I would like to hear them saying this if they were deprived of food and others wasted what they could have eaten.

And this in spite of notices all over the canteen mentioning the fact that left over food was distributed on a regular basis to various orphanages and the like. These are the educated illiterates of our country, working in multinationals and claiming they are contributing to the GDP of the country :crazy:crazy:crazy.

4. satchitananda

5. radhusankar

radhusankar Silver IL'ite

satchi cant c the video pa its hurting, dont know wat to say

6. satchitananda

I know dear. But the point is reality is very harsh. We are like ostriches - bury our heads in the sand and think the problem has gone away. It is high time we woke up to reality and began to act more responsibly.

On a different note (even though it has nothing to do with the main thread here), the human instinct of the sister to care for the siblings is so touching.

7. Siat

Siat Senior IL'ite

Hi my friends,
    You see me really astonished.
    May I asked you when this happend? It seems a long time ago, ´cause You payed with Marks... We already have the Euro.

Don´t get me wrong. I grew up in Hamburg and lived most of my life there, befor I met my hubby and moved with him to Nuremberg, and all of this times (24 years) I never ever saw some thing like this happend in HH.
    Well... It´s a big city and to be sure I don´t know every restaurant there...
    But really... I can´t belief this... There is not even any statutory basis for this! Have You seen any ID from this officers?!

Sadly I´ve to say: All that glitters is not gold.
    Most of Germans are wasting food on diffrent ways too, like peoples in other countries.
    I can´t stand this bigotry of this country, its politicans and many of its citizens... :rant

I´m sorry for my burst... But it´s really upsetting.
    There are not only poor and hungry people in other countries, and seeing so much food which is wasting by those people, who don´t even think about the needy...
    I don´t know the laws and hygienic standarts in India, here we have some laws for the food industry, for example pull dates.
    If the date of the food exceed its pull date, the law prohibit the selling of the food for healthy and hygienic reasons.
    Fruits and veggis will be scrapped after a two or three days, ´cause people don´t buy them respectively the food industry like to make people think, older fruits and veggis are bad. And people belief stuff like this!
    Fresh baked goods will also be scrapped the same day they are made, if they were not selled.

Since a few years there are some organisations all over Germany who are collecting stuff just befor its pull date (so called "food pantries") and giving it to the poor and needy.
    We still have a good social structur, so the needy gets some money from the social security office. The food pantries have to take 1,-Euro per person for the food they are given to the needy, if they don´t do it the social security office and the employment agency will strip off some indiscriminated amount from their money (well they are still discussing this topic...)...

So everyday there are billions tons of food, which are just scrapping all because laws, by-laws and regulations. :bonk
    And now we have this great E-10-fuel... 10% ethanol-made of cane. Have You any idea how much cropland You´re needing for this silly idea?!
    How many cropland which could feed thousands of needy people?!

I don´t get it.

Or do You know "Tomatina"? It´s a spanish festival where people are throwing overripe tomatos at each other...
    There are so many people starving... and we´re wasting food in so many silly ways...

At the end of this long post I like to present You Freerice.com .
    It´s a non-profit webside run by the United Nations World Food Programme and You can donate rice only by playing some games on this side.

If You´re not able to donate money, but like to help... Just play! ;)
    And maybe You know people, who like to play too :).

Thanks for Your patience and reading this long post!

8. Coffeelover

Coffeelover Platinum IL'ite

Great subject. Especially in India, we waste so much of food during the wedding and other celebrations. When we go to the restaurant, we take home the left over. One of my son wanted to take all the left over. He asked the waiter to pack it in two different box and give silverware with napkins and plastic spoons etc. I sked him why is he doign like that? He distribute the food homelss people. ( it is against the law). But he does it all the time. I was so proud of him.

Once my DH and myself had dinner at Mexican Food and wanted to bring the left over ( vegetarian) home. Because it was very nice and expensive. Before we entered the car, saw a homeless person sitting there. We asked if he minds eating the food. He blessed us and took the food. Now it becomes our habit.

we shouldn't waste the food even other people pay for it.

Good day.
    CL:cheers

9. satchitananda

Perfectly good food being binned only because it's past the use by date on the packaging. What about some good old common sense - check out by sight, smell and taste before throwing out food?

Don't like the look or taste of food - bin it.

Taken more than you can handle? Scrap and bin the rest.

Produced too much food grains - more than your countrymen can consume? Dump it into the sea.

Where will all this end?