1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Don't wait till your child complains

Discussion in 'Schoolgoers & Teens' started by arthimahalakshm, Jan 21, 2013.

1. arthimahalakshm

arthimahalakshm Gold IL'ite

Hi friends!
    this is my latest experience as a mother.after this incident i feel children also need master checkups/yearly(early)check ups.
    two days ago my dd who is in 9th standard told me that she is not able to see the distance objects like numbers on the wall clock,writings on the board when she sits in the corner etc.as an eye doctor visits hereon every sunday ,we consulted him yesterday and got a shocking news.my dd has been developed vision problems in her right eye and she started straining her left eye and presently having more problem in her left eye;so she has to wear spectacles and should have more healthy diet.
    from my post i would like to suggest my fellow mothers to check your teenage children whether they are having any problem in reading.we often connect the inability of their performance with their memory power.sometimes it may be due to their eye problem which they cannot identify.
    in my dd's case till 8th standard she was a topper and for the past six months is a struggler.we thought that she is having adjustment problem as we have moved to new state and she has been put up in a cbse school where as she is from icsc board.
    it is not necessary that every child should have a problem like this.but at the same timeP REVENTION IS BETTER THAN CURE no?

4 people like this.

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

Aw poor baby .good that you found out. i make it a point that my kids get a yearlydental and vision check up irrespective of whether they have issues with too much pc time and lifestyle changes it becomes a must. at leastyearly routine check up toknow how they are with thier weight and bloodworks. it is amust tgese days with children attending puberty early.

3 people like this.
  3. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Arthimahalakshmi
    Oh thats sad... and thank you for sharing this it will be of help to many parents am sure

4. Mahajanpragati

Mahajanpragati Platinum IL'ite

sorry for your dd...........thanks for sharing...though I take my kids for annual checkup but will try to be more conscious of any complaints they make...........many a times I ignore their complaints as just complaints,now i will try to keep open mind........

5. arthimahalakshm

hi all!
    this not for sharing my problem.i would like to alert others.as i was a teacher i've noticed more severe cases in my students.whenever i came across such incidents,i enquired my dd also.but she didn't realize it.all of a sudden she wore her friends spectacles and found the difference in her vision.along with her i've checked my younger ones eyes also.at present she has no problem

6. arthimahalakshm

hi friend!
    please don't ignore your childrens' complaints.like this it may be true

7. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

radha, these days lot of kids complain of leg pain, and i also heard of one more child who started shrinking his eyes to see properly when his vision started having issues..and the eyes started adjusting to his shrinking..

and leg pain could be lack of vitamin d too because we keep them closed without proper exposure to sun. i know three kids in the range of 5-10 who are on strong medication for vitamin d.

another girl who broke her arm by just lifting a discuss. and now has a metal plate in and cannot use that hand..

seriously, we all should observe our kids more closely.. more than just height, weight is what i want to also convey.

it was just observation as a parent and awareness that helped us get my dd started on treatment for pcos early..

1 person likes this.
  8. arthimahalakshm

[QUOTE=Shanvy;seriously, we all should observe our kids more closely.. more than just height, weight is what i want to also convey.
    it is true my dear friend.
    here i request other mothers also to share such incidents which was avoided by their observance.i hope it will be more helpful for others to be cautious