1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dont try this while BFing

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by curiousgal, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

CG,

since you mention you also hit the gym i thought of pointing this out (if you don't know already!) - when i went my trainer gave me few tips - abs only sideways, do exercises slowly and you should not sweat vigourously. this is very important esp if you nurse. intense exercise also affect milk supply and lactation. after birth our body takes a while to accept and accomodate such work outs. as hard it is to understand we must take it slowly to bring back our shape and weight to pre-pregnancy levels... hurrying does not help.

after delivery - natural or assisted the tummy muscles are still wide, in an expanded state. the gyn doing check-up must be able to tell you if they're back to normal. for me i didn't know this after my 1st one (the delivery happened in india). after the 2nd delivery, before discharge from hospital the doctor referred me to physiotherapy to bring back my tummy muscles (sort of tighten them). they basically taught me abs with breathing techniques but all sideways only. if you do normal ab exercises you cause the muscles to expand more and this will result in hernia etc., so check with your gyn.

Latha

2. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Latha:

I dont stress myself at the gym at all. I only do the treadmill....and I only walk....dont run. Also, the speed at which I work is very less.....since I just started, I thought I should be careful and not stress myself so bad that it would have adverse effects.

I do exercise in the morning at home...certain abdominal exercises coupled with kapalbhati and anulom-vilom.....for about 20 mins.
    But after reading your comment regarding normal ab exercises leading to hernia, am a little scared.
    You mentioned that you were taught abs with breathing techniques and that too sideways. What kind of exercises were you recommended?

3. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Swimming is great exercise for toning. Some local rec centers or YMCA's have mother/baby programs which should be a lot of fun and you can teach your baby swimming at an early age.

4. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

tashi:
    Swimming, I heard too, is very good.
    But guess what......I'm petrified of water! Very very scared of getting inside water. We do have a swimming pool in our apartment complex and DS loves to play in water right now, so hubby was saying that he would start taking DS to the pool.

5. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I trained swimming instructor will know how to handle your fears. They start you in the shallow end where you can just stand up normally. I think that swimming is a must to learn as we never know when we might have need of the skill. I think that the mother baby classes are also held in the shallow end.

6. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Yeah.....you are right.
    Even my hubby says the same thing.
    But somehow, I do not have the courage to get into water.
    Maybe I should try though.