1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dont try this while BFing

Discussion in 'Breast Feeding' started by curiousgal, Jul 13, 2010.

1. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

My son is 8 months old now. I've been exclusively BFing him.
    Of late, all those who've seen my pics have stated that I've gained lot of weight. I still am wearing my maternity jeans!! I had to discard lot of my pre-pregnancy clothes as I no longer fit in them. I still continue to wear clothes that I bought while I was pregnant or new ones which are large enough to hide my new body.
    I wasnt at all feeling confident about myself. I was trying to fit into my pre-pregnancy jeans and all was well except that I wasnt able to button my jeans. I was then determined to lose weight.
    So I started kapalbhati everyday for 5 mins and certain other abdominal exercises. Just started doing it or the past 2 weeks. I also stopped taking meals in the evening. I have my breakfast at around 10, lunch at around 2.30 or 3......and maybe 2 slices of bread or nothing in the evenings. Also started cutting down on water (unintentionally).

And what was the result?

My milk supply has reduced! Even when I feed, I think I have only little and my son fusses a lot. I pump too so I can very clearly see the difference.

My husband has been advising me against skipping meals in the evening. Imagine, I go for almost 17-18 hrs without food! (3 pm in the afternoon to 10 am the next day). My husband tells me that I should continue to eat healthy, but at the same time exercise. Not eating is not gonna reduce my belly.

Pls ladies....dont commit this mistake that I did...not while BFing...or even otherwise while dieting....y'day I was about to faint actually....

I've decided to eat normally and have already started drinking lots of water.......let's hope my milk supply does come back

2. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

oh dear. you could have asked us before deciding to diet:hide:. my midwife said strictly no dieting as long as you breast feed. i'll tell you my story. i always lost all pregnancy weight in a month or so after delivery - i have 2 children aged 5 and 2. but the tummy never cooperated. yet i could fit into my regular trousers etc., suddenly since last november my tummy has become so flabby i'm struggling to fit into any of my normal dresses. it's so hard for me to diet because i need all those energy to manage my children:(

try eating portions in regular intervals. replace food items sensibly. that helps a lot. i'm sure your milk supply will return to normalcy. good luck!

Latha

3. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

Even my doc strictly told me "NO DIETING" while I am breastfeeding...Instead she asked me to eat small quantities and healthy protein rich food..Initial months (first 6 months) it was definitely hard to eat healthy..I was hungry all the time (because of breastfeeding)and ate whatever was available..But when LO was 7 months old I decided to eat healthy..

I have been eating oatmeal for breatfast for the last 4 months...sometimes I have been eating whole grain cereal...This is keeping me energised and full until lunch time..Lunch I eat limitied quantities..Mainly I eat rice but quantity is limited..I don't stuff myself anymore..Evening snack like cookies (just 2) with either small cup of tea or else I just eat some fruit or nuts...Night I try not to eat rice..Most of the days I skip rice...I eat rotis or upma or just fruits sometimes...At nights I started with fruits only after I stopped breastfeeding..

Unless it's too hot outside or it's raining I walk pretty much every day ...A 30 min walk with LO not only refreshes me but also refreshes my son.

I gained 60 lbs (YES WHOPPING 60 lbs) during pregnancy. I went all the way from 133 lbs to 193 lbs...Now I am 5 lbs shy of my pre-pregnancy weight..Now I am 138 lbs...And I am hoping to lose the remaining ASAP...

Latha, I am able to fit into my old jeans but my tummy is all flabby :hide:

4. sumanr

sumanr Silver IL'ite

You must have asked us:bowdown
    I am never dieting after DD's birth, but I do not think I am gainaing weight. It is because I am BFg. But yes, tummy is still there:)

5. Traveller

Traveller Gold IL'ite

oh the tummy tale:( i'll shamelessly admit that i'm relieved most of you have the flabby tummy;)

it's especially tough when the jeans is washed (so a bit tighter than usual) and i can't zip up even holding my breath... i get so guilty. my DD is 2 yrs old.. can i do normal abs? sorry off topic...

CG,

you need to drink extra litre of water than the usually recommended volume during nursing. water intake is essential for normal body functioning and also for lactation. also don't drink green tea while BF.. this i read somewhere not sure if it's right or not but i stuck to that. i used to drink a full glass of kanji - we get these pre-prepared powder that contains cereals, legumes and nuts (sathu maavu) in the morning since i'm pathetic with eating hearty breakfast. then keep fruits, salads always in the fridge to snack on. while nursing the appetite used to strike me at the least expected time:( also fruit yogurt (the less fat one) helps.

Latha

6. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

All,

Thanks for your advice.

My milk supply is yet to get back to its original state....am still low....I know it....DS gets cranky whenever I feed him.....dunno if it's because of the low supply or something else is bothering him.

I did start on having 3 meals though and drinking lots of water. Half my time goes in the bathroom :) It appears as if there is a direct connection...he hehe!

You ladies are now scaring me about the tummy.

I gained 15 kgs during my pregnancy. I lost about 7 kgs so far.....another 8 yet to go. But more than weight, I'm really concerned about the way I look....I look like a roly-poly creature....my friends say they dont need a football now to play....they could just roll me like a football :(
    I'm a very short person.....only about 4'11'' so I look very odd now.....atleast I dont like the way I look.

Anyways, considering the repercussions of what I did in the past 2 wks, I think I need to forget about the way I look and just focus on giving my child nourishment.

Latha: I hate fruits ya.....I really do! Even during my pregnancy I didnt eat much...and sometimes only literally forced myself.......but after my son was born, I once again completely gave up. I only like rice and spicy food all the time

7. mridusudha

mridusudha Silver IL'ite

CG,

Eat brown rice...It does not taste as good as white rice but definitely healthy...My mom gave this to me for the first 3 months...But before cooking brown rice soak it water for atleast 1/2-1hr and cook it with lots of water...

To increase your breast milk supply - You can take fenugreek tablets available at GNC stores..And also drink "Mother' milk tea also available at GNC stores...

8. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Thanks Mridusudha.

I did try the fenugreek seeds earlier and it seemed to work. I used to soak methi overnight and drink the water in the morning and chew the seeds. I also used to eat til + saunf. Used to drink milk 3 times a day and lots of water.

Once my milk supply was enough for my son, I stopped everything else and had just water.

Looks like I'll once again have to do all the above.

9. rosenav

rosenav Silver IL'ite

curiousgal

hope things get back to normal soon, yes i agree with the ladies Slow n steady wins the race.

you only put on 15 kgs during your pregnancy, I used to be 55kgs and went to 78kgs:spin the good thing was i lost 14kgs in a mnt just by BF, going to start gym frm today, hopefully i lose the remaining my target is Christmas.

All the best with your weight loss

10. curiousgal

curiousgal Bronze IL'ite

Rosenav: Lucky you! You already lost so much so soon. Good luck with exercising at Gym.
    I go to the gym too...but not regularly.....when I do go, I only exercise for about 10-15 mins....burn about 100 calories or so...that's all :(

Oh btw ladies....here is an update....looks like my milk supply has almost got back to normal.....I started having dinner again and drinking more water than what I did earlier....am so relieved!