1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dont Litter!!

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Anandchitra, Oct 1, 2007.

1. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

Hello All
    It happened this morning. I was walking into our temple and right away saw this kid maybe around 6 standing and opening a candy bar and threw the wrapper down after she opened the candy and then walked away. I was shocked is putting it mildly. Ofcourse I immediately called her by name and asked her to pick up and throw the litter in the trash bag.She did not like what I said and glared at me and told me that her Mom does not say these things. She did pickup the trash and throw in the trash bin and walked away. After a while her mom came and asked why I "yelled" at her daughter. I explained what happened and said I did not yell but Mom was unforgiving. She said God loves everyone irrespective of littering. And walked away. I know I did the right thing but now i'm having second thoughts. maybe i should have kept quiet. What do you all think??

2. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

hi achitra,

I think nowadays parents dont want to ask what actually happened. i think it is better we keep quiet:frown:. I recently had this happening to my daughter. my daughter is in 7th. there is this girl in 1st -6 years too talkative and irritative. my daughter has told her dont talk too much observe things. the girl took offence. She told her mom that my daughter said all ****words. the mother had started shouting at my daughter so badly that my daughter was depressed for quite a few days.
    Ofcourse the school sorted out the problem.

but nowadays parents dont want to understand and also they are not tolerant of others saying anything to the kids.

In my opinion I think it is better we be quiet

I am also waiting to see reactions from others.

3. Vysan

Vysan Gold IL'ite

Hi,

No... You are not wrong... You are absolutely right... Ask them to do the same thing in singapore.... they would have donate huge amount as fines....

We have to teach the young ones... If we dont teach them now, they will never learn... Ofcourse the parents dont like it... what to do... For them it is their sweet little kiddo... But they should have the magnanimity to accept when a good manners is being thought... But in this real world it is not there...

As long as you dont hurt the kid, you have to keep doing it...

All the Best...

Veda

4. kanaka Raghavan

kanaka Raghavan IL Hall of Fame

I think you were right.Problem these days with most parents is they fail to accept their children are in the wrong.It is parents' duty to correct.It happened to me several years back.We were at the receiving end finally.W e had to keep quiet.Then since I have stopped saying.There is no point in saying when it is not heard or taken by......

sindmani likes this.
  5. Anandchitra

Its interesting to see different points of view.

knowing me its difficult to keep quiet. so iw ill have to learn to put up with parents!!:eek

6. priyauc

priyauc Bronze IL'ite

Dear Chitra,
    You were correct. Of course we should not keep quiet. Why should these kids litter. We have to teach them.
    Another observation i have, is that we indians if in India dont mind littering, but the moment we are abroad we are so careful and abiding by the rules and regulations. recently i was down in india for a vacation, and had been out with friends,and i had some tissue in my hand. I was looking for a dustbin to dispose it, and kept it for a long time i my hand. My friends were really impressed that i was so thoughtful. One of them was making fun and saying foriegn return, just chuck it on the road. We have to teach kids.put your mind at rest

7. vinoran

vinoran Bronze IL'ite

Dear Ms. Chitra,

I think we should teach our children by showing by ourselves. If the situation like this arises, from my point of view, I will call the kid, without telling anything I will collect the rubbish in front of her and put it in the bin - in silence. This will have a great impact on the kid.

Hope you accept my thoughts.
    Best regards
    Vinoran

8. Kamla

Kamla IL Hall of Fame

Dear Chitra,

Good for you! You did the right thing. But do not be surprised at the reaction of the mother. That's how most mothers react when they are told that their kids did something wrong. It is rarely that you will find moms who will agree and do something about it. But mind my words, I am sure that mom has taken a note of it and am quite convinced that child will never throw rubbish around!!
    I myself may not have the boldness you have...I am very good about growling at my own kids, but am very meek when it comes to other's! I would have picked it up myself and thrown it back in the bin and thus would not have served any right purpose!

L, Kamla

sindmani likes this.
  9. Anandchitra

Dear Priyu and Vinoran
    sorry did not see your replies. Totally agree with what you have said. I do wish i can change and be quiet hmmmmm.. not happening.

10. Anandchitra

Dear kamla
    so glad to see your reply to this old thread. I wish i was less like me and more like you. I think youre way is the best way to handle. The child has greatly improved and doing well after episode. I recently ran into another incident where they were blarring very loud film music at our temple when our kids program was about to start. I requested them politely to turn off since that time was reserved for kids learning. That too went into argument since they did not like being told so. Actually its in our temple rules and regulations. I was well within my rights to so. Still it creates unpleasant ness. I am doing my best to change and become quiet about these and such. Will take tips from you and other readers...:redface: