1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Don't Grudge;move With The Tide

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by jayasala42, Aug 2, 2019.

1. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

Very often we hear that excessive use of technology leads to decrease
    in face to face conversations,reducing people's communicative and creative skills leading to social isolation and other health problems.

Decades back, when we were children, the old and young would gather in the open space in front of the house or in the Prakarams of temple and had a great time. There would be unbelievable bonhomie. There was no TV, no phone and we all depended on each other for our fun and frolicking time.Luxuries started arriving-radio,transistor, phone, TV, computer and now the cell phone.

Today people talk more with unknown and unseen faces across the globe than with local kith and kin.
    Kitna badal gaya insaan!

There is a saying: "We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak."

Along came computers and the internet, and now: "We have two eyes and ten fingers .- not even ten fingers- one finger will do.
    Just try spending time with some people.It may result in endless complaints, arguments all of which culminate in a headache. Is it not safer then to escape into the virtual world where one can choose one's friends, discuss stuff with people who don't growl back and ignore the trolls? At least one has one's peace of mind. There is time and space enough to prevent oneself from putting one's foot in one's mouth.

Come to think of it, there is very little difference between social life in the 'real' world and the virtual, except for the distance. Good, bad and indifference exist everywhere. Mainly human beings are the same in either 'world'.

Virtual world suits us better as we don't even have to make efforts to get off our couches, bathe or dress! We can hide our true selves and project a likable persona to the world, we can say what we like hiding behind a pseudo-persona! Isn't this freedom?

Today with smaller families and fewer really close friends, one has to get on with the people around or be isolated. Trying to get along with inimical individuals around us could be quite an arduous job leading to spikes in BP. At such times, it is a tremendous relief to have books or the virtual world to turn to.

Unfortunately, everyone seems to be intent on having the last word in arguments/discussions these days. Voices get raised, discussions blow up into hot arguments. If this is online, one can shut off the person or block him. The virtual world seems to be a get away from the unpleasantness of real life. As far as hiding our true selves is concerned, it could work both ways. Some of us feel more comfortable being our real selves in the virtual world with strangers than with people around with us who may be out to judge us all the time, or there could be people hiding their true identities in order to troll others.

No wonder Web and Mobile platforms attract us like a magnet. It works like a real web when we are in, we don't see the beginning and the end. Nowadays, our moves are planned to be around WiFi.

we can't eliminate the positive side of web/mobile. Everything and anything we are able to look up to learn instantaneously. My grand nephew conducts his entire research by looking up through web rather than visiting a library.
    Last year my daughter-in-law was here for a month leaving the children with my son in US.,
    My grandson conveyed through phone"Amma, Appa is preparing varieties of lunch/dinner items for us-thanks to the recipes available through internet.You can take your own time to return to US."
    My son said,"I am driven by methods and processes.I should say that I have learnt the science of cooking rather than the art of cooking.."
    When I told my son that he seems to be transforming into a spiritually oriented person more than what he was in India 20 years back,pat came the reply'Of course,yes.I should thankwww.poornalayam.org.
    During my walking schedule I am listening to one hour lecture on Gita, upanishad, Advaitha, Bramha Sutras etc.What a way to become healthy, knowledgeable, at the same time to have some spiritual thinking, which is the high need of the hour!"
    Thanks to the Electronic media and the palm held gadget.
    "Instead of endlessly grudging and complaining about the negatives, we can look to the positive sides and reap the benefits" replied my son.

ramasala

Thyagarajan likes this.

2. Thyagarajan

Thyagarajan IL Hall of Fame

:hello:Life seem to be annoyingly simplified with gadgets yet for the reasons you had mentioned, it is a boon.
    I listened to favourite keerthanas during walk hour. Four of such songs I had finished my stiff-walk in half an hour. Youngsters hurrying to office by walk to catch metro seen listening to music and do away with monotony of walk. But on railway tracks..... OMG.
    THANKS AND REGARDS.

3. jayasala42

jayasala42 IL Hall of Fame

I just wrote the snippet in jest. The busy hour is really a killing hour especially with the gadjets on hand.
    ramasala

Thyagarajan likes this.