Don't fall for the Nigerian phishing scam !!!

Discussion in 'News & Politics' started by Jlatch, Apr 17, 2008.

1. Jlatch

Jlatch New IL'ite

Nigerian phishing scam
    If you get an email from anyone claiming to have selected you personally to help them move/transfer a huge amount of money from their country to the USA and give you a good percentage of it, do NOT fall for it. This is called the Nigerian spam scam. They entice you with promises of thousands, sometimes millions of dollars as your "cut" if you help them, but instead they will scam you out of your hard-earned money by requesting you to pay the wire transfer fees, customs fees, etc, etc, while they keep stringing you along that your payout is "around the corner." Instead of replying to them, just delete the email. It is technically spam - it's only a scam if you fall for it and actually pay them money.

Recently there's an incident @ chennai where an IT girl has fallen prey to this SCAM & had lost Rs.18 lakh of her hard earned money believing she had won a big online british lottery worth of 2.5million pounds. She paid Rs.15 lakh for "bank fee & other service charges" over internet and the remaining Rs.3 lakh personally handed over to the lottery agent whom she met @ Chennai Airport. This girl realized after 2 wks of transfering the amt that she had been tricked and lodged a compliant against the Chennai city police. The case is under investigation with Bank Fraud Wing of the city.

Read the above news item in one of the local weekly journal(Ergo-Free circulation) this week and thought it's important to share this info with you all as we're all extensive users of the internet.

BEWARE of such happenings & remain ALERT always while online !!

Jlatch

2. vidyasriram

vidyasriram Senior IL'ite

Thanks for the info.

-Vidya

3. Senorita

Senorita Silver IL'ite

Yes, i can find atleast one email like this in my mail box claiming that my mail id has been selected frm lacs of yahoo mail id's and i had won British lottery...!!

What nonsense these spammers create...:evil:

4. Rishima

Rishima New IL'ite

Thanks for the warning. A cousin of mine got a similar mail stating that she has got a job in the UK and to send her resume. Once she did that, they asked her for 25000 for visa and processing fees, etc. She thankfully was alerted by us of these scamsters and did not give the money.

You can never be too careful with these kind of scams

5. alpers

alpers Bronze IL'ite

Many thanks for the info.

There are lots of them scams out there.

Be carefull what you r replying to and always check before you reply and ask a friend or someone you know who might have had such emails and also check on the web about any scams.
    Never ever pass your bank details if asked or any other personal information on any websites which you are unaware of or if in dought.

Rgds

Alps

6. sudhanarayanan

sudhanarayanan Senior IL'ite

Hi,
    Yes there are lot of spams like this in Inbox which we should not even be opening. Some times they may have attachements which may even cause virus and trojans to affect your system. On a lighter vein I had posted about this i my personal blog. I will inaugurate my IL blog with this post once I get a kickstart from the moderator. :)

7. malspie

malspie Platinum IL'ite

30% of the people in Mumbai are falling victims. Every second day the policemen arrest a nigerian but another one is generated within seconds. I have put them in SPAM BOOK. Do not get them in my Inbox.