1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dont ever argue!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Jul 19, 2007.

1. Devika Menon

Devika Menon Gold IL'ite

Dear SIr,

I will definitely not argue that this is a great topic:)).

Arguments generally arises when there are too many diffferences of opinion. But these days the mantra is assertiveness. Be it in personal or professional life.Being assertive helps more than being argumentative.
    I agree that arguments are a sign of insecurity to a great extent. In fact there are some who merely argue for the sake of arguing. Compulsive arguers that just keep up to their habits thus justifying the saying ,"Dont say a word and let the world think your dumb than opening it and justifying that".

Nice blog Sir ,I enjoyed reading it as usual. And what a great lesson for all to learn especially during these times when we are all trying to be stressfree and arguments being a negative emotion only adds to stress , so avoiding it will only help in having a more peaceful life.

Love,
    Your Mol

2. Cindhuja

Cindhuja Gold IL'ite

Very true sir, very true. I agree with your statement whole heartedly. But inspite being silent i have met few problems.Say if i am forced to do something which i dont like or if my relatives do say something harshly i really get upset but till now i have never opened my mouth and argued for it. I try to move away from that scene by nodding to what they say or accepting it without any interest. If at all they are really close to me i try to make them understand the fact after sometime. But many feel i have reacted in a bad manner or insulted them by keeping my mouth shut. Then the whole issue turns to what i have committed and not for the reason behind all these. I really feel bad at times. I dont want to argue with anyone , let them be my blood relatives or in-laws. But i have never been happy for being silent for that . Sorry if i had deviated from the topic,just thought of sharing with you all.

3. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

My dear Mol
    That was a superb quote! Yes! Some people prove beyond an iota of doubt how dumb they are by their eloquent arguments! You have also brought out a very valid point about the distinction between assertiveness and being just argumentative. Many people think that by giving in to an argument would bring down their assertiveness by several notches. In their desperation to win an argument, they raise their voices, gesticulate wildly and cut a sorry figure generally.

When the argument is about a non-issue, tempers get frayed and friendships are lost. In arguments, the general theory is that the more trivial is the issue, the more damage is caused in relationships! I have seen people engaging in arguments on who is greater, Sharuk Khan or Aamir Khan with greater fervour than Adi Sankara and Mandana Misra debating on Advaitha and Purva Mimamsa!

Venda Mole! Avoid arguments as far as possible though a guy called Joseph Addison once said that 'Arguments out of a pretty mouth are unanswerable'!
    Sri

4. Cheeniya

Dear Cindhuja
    To remain silent in the face of provocative statements or actions shows really the strength of a person's character. It is easy for everyone to add his share of fuel to a burning argument but only sane and mature people can keep away. It may be ridiculed as cowardice by immature people and they say so to drag you into the argument. But in the long run, you'll see that remaining silent pays richer dividend than being garrulous. My own mother is a great example and I have learned only from her the power of silence. My favourite deity is Dakshinamoorthi who is the God of Silence and the Guru of all Gurus.

I realise that our silence can be an irritant to people who argue for nothing. But over a period of time, when they get used to your silent nature, they'll start looking at you with respect. There is no need to despair about this excellent quality in you
    Sri

5. Mindian

Mindian IL Hall of Fame

dear cheeniya sir,

what a wonderful topic...well it is what dh has always been saying to me..in all these years i have never seen him loosing his patience with anybody while i am ashamed to confess that my temper triggers off at the slightest provocation...with age and readings like these i have mellowed...i definitely do not get angry that often,can be assertive without arguing sometimes,sometimes agree to disagree but try and never raise my voice..i feel it is so crude though i have done it when young...
    regards
    Mindi

6. Cheeniya

Dear Mindi
    If you can be assertive without arguing and raising your voice, you are truly blessed. Take it from me, very few can be that way. Most of us think that shouting is the only way to express our authority. Showing dissent can be done in a very dignified way. I remember how my gentle mum used to subdue me and my elder brother when we were kids with just a look. She is 95+ now but whenever she disapproves of any of our actions, she just lets us know through a gentle expression of dissent. If I am mild-mannered, I owe it to my mum completely.
    Sri

7. dream.girl

dream.girl Silver IL'ite

Dear cheeniya sir,

Really very good practical story wich is useful in day to day life..yes,In india people argue sometimes for timepass or to show their dominant nature and it a very common syndrome over here..and everyone are used to it..But I think things are changingwhen u are in a modern life and a corporate world where u have to pint out the things very softly and politely..Thanks for putting fromt a very good topic..

Hugs,
    dg..

8. Cheeniya

Dear dg
    You are indeed right. Things have changed in modern times. In the corporate world, arguments take place in an air-conditioned room. Words exchanged are more polite than in street brawls. Voices are not raised when people are in the losing end of the argument but the losers become more lethal than in street brawls. They get the loss in the argument firmly etched in their heart and when they get a chance to get even, they deliver a double blow.
    In some respect, I prefer the street brawls than corporate tussles. In the former, when they are through with the argument, they just forget it and adjourn for a drink!
    Sri

9. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Cheeniya Sir

Just came through this post today. I never argue with anyone because simply our energy will be wasted. There will be difference of opinion with my husband but no use arguing with him as he will say he is correct.

From childhood I have been soft natured. Younger days I never used to talk with anyone much where is the question of arguing. Later after I started working only I started talking more and when I know that what I say to the other person will be agreed with that peson then I try to argue. Otherwise mostly I am not a person to argue.

with kind regards
    viji

10. Cheeniya

Dear Viji
    Nice of you to dig out an old thread of mine and give a nice FB. That you are soft-spoken and that you never argue are evident from your FBs. I never see you getting into any controversies. No wonder you are so popular!
    Incidentally my best wishes to you to reach the Hall of Fame very soon!
    Sri