Dont add milk or cream to tea !

Discussion in 'Krishnaammas Kitchen' started by krishnaamma, Mar 3, 2008.

1. krishnaamma

krishnaamma Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dont add milk or cream to tea ; milk block tea's benefit !

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p>Tea is the second most popular beverage in the world (the most popular is water).<o:p></o:p>
    There are four basic types of true tea: black tea, oolong tea, green tea, and white tea. Tea is often drunk at social events, such as afternoon tea and the tea party. It may be drunk early in the day to heighten alertness.

Black tea is the most common form of tea in southern <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:place>Asia</st1:place>. The literal translation of the Chinese word is red tea, which may be used by some tea-lovers. The Chinese call it red tea because the actual tea liquid is red. Westerners call it black tea because the tea leaves used to brew it are usually black.

<o:p></o:p>
    Many teas are traditionally drunk with milk. These include Indian chai, and British tea blends. These teas tend to be very hearty varieties which can be tasted through the milk, such as <st1:country-region><st1:place>Assams</st1:place></st1:country-region>, or the East Friesian blend. Milk is thought to neutralize remaining tannins and reduce acidity.

Researchers conclude that drinking black or green tea may help reduce a potentially harmful constriction of blood vessels after a high-fat meal.
    While compounds found in green tea offer some protective health benefits, research hasn't shown that they boost fertility. Green tea, which is made from unfermented tea leaves, contains chemicals called polyphones. Experts believe that these chemicals act as antioxidants, substances that protect the body's cells from damage that can lead to cancer and other diseases.

Most recently researchers found that regular cups of tea can help speed recovery from stress, researchers from <st1:place><st1:placeType>University</st1:placeType> <st1:placeType>College</st1:placeType></st1:place> <st1:City><st1:place>London</st1:place></st1:City> (UCL).

Men who drank black tea four times a day for six weeks were found to have lower levels of the stress hormone cortical than a control group who drank a fake tea substitute, the researchers said in a study published in the journal Psychopharmacology. The tea drinkers also reported a greater feeling of relaxation after performing tasks designed to raise stress levels.

One should not let the tea steep for more than 2- 3minutes. <o:p></o:p>
    You can add black pepper or ‘grated fresh ginger’ in your tea to avoid ‘cold’ <o:p></o:p>
    Even you can use ‘chukku’ dried ginger, to prepare tea.<o:p></o:p>
    "If you want to drink tea for its health effects, don't drink it with milk" :idea
    "You can add lemon not milk. You should not add milk or cream to tea -- it's a very good drink, but not with milk," :coffee<o:p></o:p>
    </o:p>

2. Anandchitra

Anandchitra IL Hall of Fame

I have never heard of this one not to add milk to tea dear Krishnaamma.. we drink Tea everyday and for so many years I have made it by adding milk to boiled tea leaves..But when I drink green tea I drink it plain..Very interesting to read..

3. MeenLoch

MeenLoch Silver IL'ite

Not with milk ?
    Does it kill the effects. I add very little skimmed milk. Tea at noon is all my all time favorite.
    Informative article Ms. Krishnamma.

4. kutekrish

kutekrish Senior IL'ite

Hi maa,
    I use to take 'lemon tea' in office. And before doing exercise. It will give good energy, if you take it before doing exercise or a walk.

5. Lalitha Shivaguru

Lalitha Shivaguru Platinum IL'ite

Dear Krishnamma,

I haven't heard of adding cream to tea. I have the practice of having tea twice with milk but occasionally I do have green tea with lemon. Will try to have green tea more often.

6. krishnaamma

Hi ladies,
    I dont know how to react for your comments. :coffeeI know this very long back and you are saying that you havenot heard about this.:confused2:

but this is true. when you want to get the good things in Tea you have totake it with out milk. We can add cream in tea like coffee.

7. krishnaamma

Hi ladies,
    I want to tell you one more thing. Here in Saudi they used to drink many cups of tea per day. But with out milk. They are having very very small cups for tea and they are adding a lot of cardmom in Tea and also in coffee.:eek:mg: Cardamom with coffee, I dont like that. But it is their habit.

One more thing I already gave many types of Tea.
    Have a look at this.