1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Domestic violence- empathetic solutions.

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by pinkcherry, Jan 17, 2014.

1. pinkcherry

pinkcherry New IL'ite

Respected elder ILs,

Listen to me and provide some solution to my problem.
    I have been brought up in good family where treatment for boy and girl is equal in every. Aspect. Had very peaceful childhood.there were no parent clashes even. Neighbours also,we are unaware as spent complete time in studies. My parents equally respected their parents n parent in laws.have studied till my pg n worked in reliance industries. During tht time I found alliance which I felt its good one. Guy Woking I software but he,s divorced after having kid(kid 8 mnts).i informed to my parents n they went n checked. Got convinced.initially he said he is very short tempered . But never shown Tht before marriage as we had 3 months time.moved to Bangalore after marriage. I was searching job.we had small arguments n he doesn't. Like me to call to my parents n my friends.. All finances n shopping decisions by him. Whenever their parents come,these small arguments go big n he slaps n beats me and finally calls my parents and says everything. Is my fault and tells them to teach me how to behave. First kid born and I came back from my nativewhen kid was in 3rd month.in laws came to help. But actually. They have taken all authority at home. My husband n mom ,talk everything and he scolds me I front of everyone in hall.whenever kid gets up for milk,he is not able to wait and scolds me that why are you sleeping. That much.on top of that,my mom in law is a big support to him for all these things.he kicked with legs during nights n all big hungama happened,again called to my parents .told all complaints on me. My parents always convinced n said U need to adjust .inlaws were saying all families are like this only. They came from village and even my father in law used to hit my mom in law it seems but I never had this with my parents. that time onwards things were not smooth and my husband had so much anger and decided to go to Chennai to show sadism on me. They decided to take my kid also tovillage leaving me alone in Bangalore as I was working there.my husband ha literally bad habit of scolding n making me to feel low always n m just changing myself to get adjusted to him.i couldn't find any better way. M frustrated all my kid control is with them. She is ok to take my kid to sis in laws house. I struggle to travel every 15 days to see my kid. Finally they agreed to come to Bangalore for my kids school.after they come,my husband n my ML decides everything.
    moreover my husband says its hotel for me. I had really hectic schedules in office..leave by 8am n reach at 8pm.if I m ready to cook for.lunch in morning,my husband n ML come n says why R U cooking at 7.i will cook at 11. So I just left cooking in mornigs. Finances n shopping again by both of them. My job is to Office n spend time with kid n listen to all abuses U don't do this n don't do tht. I between fights n beatings for me.n after6 years had second kid. Had good time for almost one year n no poking from my husband . Same time ML started saying to my elder kid tht dad doing whtever ur mom says. I m well prepared to get adjusted to him after my second kid..ML created troubles saying I don't stay here like tht as she was like behind everything. Asks me to clean this tht eve though we have maids my husband convinced .somehow she is with us but creating troubles every 2 months n tht time my husband calls my parents only to scold them. My parents recently came to Hyderabad n we also moved to Hyderabad after second kid. For all festivals ,we only go to my husbands native. Whenever I ask I want to go to my parents place,he says don't go or be there only don't come back.today ML also supported him n finally I had slaps n scraches on neck. Need some advise how to handle this type of people
    1. He scolds I front of everyone in hall
    2.scolds and doesn't respect my parents
    3 all decisions at home taken by ML n husband.
    4shopping done by ML n husband
    5 payments by Husband n I m not aware of rent also.if I ask any thing he doesn't respond
    6 made to depend so much on him. To go out also he only decides
    7 ML so much involvement in personal matters

Need some constructive suggestions from elder moms and in laws

Some one,please help me how to handle my situation

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 25, 2014

2. pinkcherry

pinkcherry New IL'ite

No suggestions from elder ILs:(

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
  3. Priya16

Priya16 IL Hall of Fame

I feel so sad to hear your story,

You know you are getting abused and went for second kid and yourself wrote

what else anyone can tell you.

If you read yourself the post,first thing you need stop taking physical abuse from your husband.what made your parents not supportive of you??

first tell your parents to stop taking calls from him.He understand you and your parents are weak and playing all these games.

1 person likes this.
  4. soulful

soulful Platinum IL'ite

I am not a mom/mom-in-laws but I can say this much- do not tolerate physical abuse. The more you let them trample over you, more they will do so.

Stand up for yourself and tell him, next time he raises his hand, you will call the police. Say it and mean it.

Live separately from inlaws. Be financially Independent, get your legal affairs in order, just in case.

bring him in line and your MIL can be dealt with later.

take control in your hands. you have three kids who live with you and you both are setting very bad examples for them.

5. ssasi

ssasi Silver IL'ite

Hi Pinkcherry,

I felt really sad to hear u r story abt domestic violence. I have few suggestions for u:

1. Take u r hubby out to a park r to the place, where u can sit & talk to him quietly, without any disturbance. Make him understand all u r feelings. Now, u have two kid's. Tell him, if his own sister is under the same situation, how would he resolve it.

2. Meet a counsellor r a well wisher to make him understand that the family with kid's should not break for this reason. Anyway u r financially independent, educated & have parent's support. U have the ability to take care of u r life. But give him the opportunity to change & realise. If it doesn't work out. May be u can live separetly for couple of mths by u r self with u r parent's support. V can't completely change u r in-law's, b,cos they r old & from village set-up. But still take effort to make everybody in u r house, understand the problem's which u r facing.

3. Let's pray to god, to change u r situation. Don't loose hope, be strong to face in life. Physical abuse should be stopped immediately. So take action, for it by threatening them, if it contiues, u would take tough actions..

6. guesshoo

guesshoo IL Hall of Fame

Sorry dear, but this is a ghastly situation for you. Seeing as your husband and you have still not gotten into a good relationship in all these years, plus seeing as your husband is abusing you physically, I think you just need to get out of this marriage.

You are a working, independent woman. Take your children and leave. Do not get into a discussion or an argument. It doesn't look like your husband or ILs are going to change. IMO you need to leave this unequal marriage simply for the sake of your two children. By leaving, you are setting an excellent example for them - to walk away from abuse. Take your children and run. Don't look back.

All the best

1 person likes this.
  7. HasteRaho

HasteRaho Platinum IL'ite

I'm deeply sorry to hear about the situation you are going through, OP. I'm also sorry that there are children involved in this situation.

I second guesshoo. Your DH and inlaws have no shame or remorse. They have no appreciation for you (you are working and bringing home income, yet you are unable to be a part of any of the decision-making process) let alone love or respect. I can't believe your MIL condones this type of verbal, emotional and physical abuse. You won't be able to magically change or evoke them to like you no matter what you do — not even by giving them their way. By giving in to them, you are not only validating their behavior to be justified but enabling it to continue.

Unless you plan to keep having kids so they can be nice to you during your pregnancy (I assume this is when they are the nicest to you), what type of future do you foresee in 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? A happy one? No? Then you have your answer.

You're a professional woman. I hope you understand that you have more power here than you realize. Similar to what guesshoo stated, go bold. Start making changes, start becoming independent, start living separately to let them know what course their continued actions will have. Do not tolerate any kind of abuse (emotional, physical or verbal). Don't rely on the support of others although you should make your parents aware of the entirety of the situation and how you plan to deal with it. Remember, you are only informing your husband, his parents and your parents about your boundaries (that they've violated and exploited). If necessary, get out of this marriage.

I am really sorry to hear that there are not one, but two children who are involved. However, you need to think about them and their future. Do you want them to grow up witnessing how your DH and in laws treat you? How will that affect them and what will they learn? So you see, this is about you AND your children. By giving in to this abuse and allowing it to continue, you are not only validating your DH/inlaws behavior towards you to them but to your children as well. This is not acceptable. Not for "keeping peace in the family" nor "image in society" those things are superficial and you will never attain that sense of happiness if you don't love yourself first and make sure you are taken care of.

Also, what would you have thought or suggested had someone else told you the same story? Think of this as objectively as you can.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you! I hope you can summon up all the strength you can to deal with this marriage.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  8. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

Why do educated working women bring children into abusive marriage? Why put poor helpless children into such a situation?
    Please leave these monsters at least for the sake of the children you brought into this world.

Dear OP....there are strong domestic violence laws in the country. Please do not worry about the feelings of these monsters. Just tell them you will go to the police and both son and mom will be behind bars. If they so much as touch you or shout at you....just do it. You are independent financially and you have a strong law on your side.

Best wishes and lots of hugs.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
    2 people like this.
  9. sdiva20

sdiva20 Platinum IL'ite

OP nothing about him should be a surprise to you. You saw this controlling behavior even before marriage when he stopped you from taking to your parents or friends and tried to control you financially too. So as an educated rational person, you should have known what you were getting into.

Then even with all your abuse, you went ahead and had a child with that monster. And proceeded to have a second one. You grew up in a happy home so did you not think you children deserved the same? You brought your innocent children in a abusive marriage and they will have to live with those consequences for no fault of their own and unlike you there is nothing they can do.

You ask for advice but if you have not yet made any decision to leave him, I highly doubt you will now. That is pretty much all there is as a solution. There is no " get counseling" "be supportive" "be calm" kind of situation as some may suggest. And those suggestions never fail to amaze me.

2 people like this.
  10. Nandshyam

Nandshyam IL Hall of Fame

you listed all this but not about physical abuse, those scratches and slaps???? Think how you want to live... That will guide you to the solution, I hope.

1 person likes this.