1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Dollar is not everything!

Discussion in 'Cheeniya's Senile Ramblings' started by Cheeniya, Mar 25, 2007.

1. mithila kannan

mithila kannan Gold IL'ite

Dear Mr.cheeniya,
    Enjoyed reading your dosa experience which took me back to my days as a new bride,if you can call a young woman married for two years as a new bride.Ok,we were living in Hubli.My DH had told me that his boss’s son,boss was an American,ate nealy 16 masala dosas ,when they went to a restaurant.Iam telling the truth.That boy had a great liking for masal dosas I believe.

My dh invited some friends,including his boss and his son for dinner and asked me if I would be able to make masala dosas for them.I did not even bat an eyelid and said,’yes’ desire to impress the dh.Those days there was no electronic wet grinder at home and no fridge as well.I ground dosai atta plenty of it.Made masala for stuffing.My neighbour,an elderly lady offered to help me make dosas that evening.Well we were waiting for the gusts to arrive,but I gt a phone call from my dh saying that his boss and the group had arrived in Hubli,they were driving down from Goa,but they were too tired to change and come to our house.You can imagine how I must have felt.I told my dh,”Well,tomorrow you will have dosa for breakfast,lunch and dinner as well understand?”

He said,”Oh dear,tomorrow early morning I am driving down with them to Belgaum.Sorry,may be some other time,you can punish me like that.”

The next dosa experience of mine happened in Ethiopia,where I stayed with my husband for six months.A friend of my husband Mr.Gangwani and my husband were involved in getting ready a project report for the world bank.Gangwani loves , south Indian food and snacks and he would join us for lunch and tea time very often.One day ,the phone in our villa rang,I took the phone and said ,”hello”
    Gangwani was on the line and he asked me,”Mythili,what snack are you going to make this evening?”

I said,”Shyam,Iam going to make rava dosa.”That’s all.It rained in the evening,but Gangwani who lived in the next street,drove down to our house,stopped the car outside,and having folded the down portion of his pants,he walked,jumping over the puddles of water,holding an umbrella in one hand.He came straight to the kitchen,sat very close to the cooking platform and said,”Please,Mythili,if the atta you have made is not sufficient for both lakshmi and me ,give him only toasts,ok?”So saying he demolished some seven or eight dosas with sambhar,curd,sugar and chutney powder as side dishes.This incident remains still green in my memory.

When I go to a restaurant with my dh what do we do?My husband studies the menu card and like you, he also peeps into other people’s plates to see what they are eating,but ultimately he orders only rava dosa.He eats rava dosas with the expression that says that God sent him down, with the specific purpose of eating rava dosa.

I?I know what I want.I don’t look here or there.It is always masala dosa for me.
    Well,to each his own dosa!

love
    mithila

Last edited: Apr 12, 2010
  2. Cheeniya

Cheeniya Super Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Dear Mithila
    Thank you for your visit and the enjoyable FB.
    16 masala dosas is one too many and hats off to your boss’s son. I have consumed about six in my prime but Americans are Americans!

Your FB can be divided into 3 parts:
    1. The young bride and the unconsumed dosas
    2. The ravenous Gangwani
    3. Rava dosa, the savior of the confused husband

And a nice ending too!
    Well,to each his own dosa!”
    Let me say Amen to it!
    Sri

3. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Sri,

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Go home and eat is it ? Good option.:rotfl

There is a south indian outlet here, of the olden times, u can see it has seen better days, a place where u can sit for hours with one cup of coffee.The place is called India Coffee House, a chain actally.

they have ione item i like, called Keema Dosa, keema means mutton.Swear i have not eat a keema dosa anywhere else. And also mutton cutlets, where u have to search for the mutton, but for the price not bad.

And one place in mumbai, they had dosas of a hundred varieties. like the Fruit dosa as u said, and gobi dosa, paneer dosa etc.it is just the veggie put inside the normal dosa, of curse the price not being normal.

In Spain, i had another problem.Went to a bar, and they had these small grills of many nonveg items, so i ordered one each, by sign language, and it was delcious, and i put the big note infront of him, and he returned the change, which i could not count.

But he never told me, Go to india and eat.:biglaugh

Good one Sri.Regards

kamal

4. Soldier

Soldier Gold IL'ite

Pranams Cheeniyaji,

A lovely post that I saw today. I had decided that today I will not go to my regular sections Snippets and Poems but read the other good things in IL. Because even in the gaming zone, some partners are not available and hence landed here.

Oh! Dosas are a favourite at home too. My DD says she would :bowdown any number of time s to the person who invented the Dosa!! Such has been her craze for Dosas even from the time she was a kid. During her earlier school days, unlike us, since children don't like to carry rice for their lunch boxes, only the idlis and dosas (probably staple food at homes!) came to rescue till the time they grew up to get a liking to phulkas.

So to induce her to have sufficient no. i used to make dosas in different forms - rabbit, apple, sometimes her name SUDHA and my son's HARISH, some stars, sun, moon and the like. And she used to happily show me empty boxes. To lure her into completing her lunch, I adopted this technique.

Probably that has left an impact or what I do not know, she is completing 18 next month. Still her passion for dosas has not subsided. As if making of dosas is a herculean task, whenever I serve her crispy dosas with a dash of ghee spread, sambar and chutney, she literally kisses me and says ` Amma nee dheivam ma"! I used to think oh! why is she like this. What is there in dosa. (She repeats these when I give her super soft phulkas with paneer subzi too). Later on I understood that just to avoid eating rice at night, she used these tricks with me!!!! (She can have rice only once during the day and not like olden times when for lunch and dinner we used to have rice, rice and only rice!!!)

Thanks for the opportunity to write on dosas!

5. Cheeniya

My dear Kamal
    I hear people complaining that the price of mutton is going through the roof thanks to inflation in the culinary area. But I think it is only fair that the price of mutton is sky rocketing considering that the original owner of the mutton has already been despatched to the heavens! It is the only way the hapless goats can take a revenge on you!

Alfred Hitchcock had his imagination at his best when he produced his masterpiece "The Birds". It was a scary movie showing the birds ganging up in retaliation against the humans and killing them mercilessly!

But it is blasphemous converting a vegetarian delicacy into a non-veg dish by sneaking a piece of mutton into the stuffing. A very unholy thought indeed! Dosa is best consumed in its original form with all the desired stuffings served in cups separately like a musician playing the Jal tarang! Some hotels in Tamilnadu have started doing it already!
    Sri

6. Cheeniya

Dear Soldier
    Thanks a lot for the wonderful FB! The revival of this thread only shows that dosas can never die! When I read your FB, I felt like singing,
    'Dosai ethanai dosaiyadi!' (Mettu: Raman ethanai Ramanadi!)

Your DD seems to prefer round to square! Her choice of round dosas instead of square meals goes to prove it! Even if one has a 100 dosas, it cant be called a 'square meal' but some rice with Sambar, curry , koottu, rasam and curd is called a square meal. I don't know why. I don't think it has anything to do with the geometrical shape. Dosa may be round but a concoction of rice and paraphernalia can never be square.

As I am getting older my interest in Dosa is waning! Maybe I have already completed my quota fixed by God for this life! I have not lost my taste for dosa completely. I still like the first dosa made to test if the pan is hot enough and the other conditions for making dosa are ideal. My DW usually wrenches it from the pan and I love that itsy bitsy teeny weeny dosa!
    Sri

Last edited: Apr 17, 2010
  7. ojaantrik

ojaantrik IL Hall of Fame

A great piece Sri! The waiter really told you that or are you lying?

Of course, I being a dosa lover, I tend to believe that you have lied. My only problem is that, whenever I am in Chennai, I try to eat my dosa at Woodlands alone. It used to be the closest to Heaven joint that I had ever been transported to. Till last time, when my son's father in law screamed at me over the phone from Delhi that I ought to have kept him informed that I would be in Chennai. When I wanted to know why, he told me that he would arrange for me to eat in a good restaurant. May be he said restaurants and not A restaurant. I told him about Woodlands, but he was not listening. His sister met us in Woodlands the very next day where we had a delicious lunch, but given the brief from headquarters that she was carrying, her son and she took us away to yet another place for dinner. It was called something. Recall your "it"! I think the name started with an "SH", but can't be sure. Located somewhere near T-Nagar. Anyway, the food there was super from the point of view of the uninitiated at least. And the coffee was out of the world, assuming that ET's enjoy their coffee as much as you do in Chennai.

(Incidentally, I was much impressed by Ms. Nagalakshmi, the sister described above, when she visited my home a few months ago. She wouldn't enter my study without taking her chappals off!! This is where Saraswati resides, she told us, so no shoes allowed. Her approach made me feel somewhat guilty you know, since I do wear my slippers even in the Saraswati room. Since I spend almost the entire day in this room, I would have to give up wearing slippers altogether, or shoes for that matter, if her example had to be followed!)

Love they say is blind. What wouldn't you give up for the sake of love? Friendship, enmity, hobbies or, as your neighbour in the restaurant pointed out, even dollars probably? Well, the dollar bit doesn't apply to either you or me I guess. We never displayed too much inclination in that direction.

Dollar's not everything! Sure enough. But, assuming my love theory is correct, what is the nature of love that would make you renounce the rest of the universe? Love for a woman? Oh come on. Women are mortal, they grow old, lose their teeth and hair. This will happen to Kamalji's lady with the ipod too someday. Both of you are far too clever to lose yourselves for the sake of women.

But then Analtole is another question altogether. Amongst the many dishes his fame had spread far and wide for, one was called Ris de veau à la financière. Google tells me the following: Sweetbreads or ris are culinary namesfor the thymus (throat sweetbread) and the pancreas (heart or stomach sweetbread), especially of the calf (ris de veau) and lamb (ris d'agneau) (although beef and pork sweetbreads are also eaten)!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I imagine you are as much in love with Anatole as Bertie ever was. He kept us informed about the endlessly many battles of wits Jeeves had to engage in simply to ensure that Analtole remained confined to Bertie's chosen sub-forum, viz. Mrs. Dahlia Travers' kitchen. Of course, he had an earlier stint with Mrs. Bingo Little as you are doubtlessly aware. But Anatole is best identified with Aunt Dahlia.

My peripatetic mind has already started wondering you know. Although I have never been exposed to Anatole's culinary skills except in the world of my foolish imagination, I think I love him with no less an intensity than Bertie's. However, which way would YOUR love travel if you were to be ACTUALLY invited for dinner at Aunt Dahlia's table? I mean would you really be moved enough to partake of the mouth watering Ris de veau à la financière à la Anatole? Or will you cause him an ego problem by leaving the table? He was (is?) very touchy, remember? In my eyes at least, unlike women, he is immortal. You might even agree, who knows!

May be, just may be, you wouldn't disappoint Anatole after all, if he were to serve his delicacies at your Snippets forum. You might even have done everything within your power to steal him away from Aunt Dahlia and convert yourself to a non-veggie. Wrong? Right? Garbage?

And that leads me to yet another thought. It gives me cold feet to tell you frankly. What would have happened to Wodehouse himself vis-a-vis Cheeniya the Master, if the former were to start writing after Snippets came into existence? Would you make Wodehouse suffer from unrequieted love? I suspect alas that that's exactly what you would have done. Thank God though that Wodehouse produced his complete works before you built your nest in IL. Thank God indeed, for unlike Anatole, Wodehouse the man, not the name surely, succumbed when faced mortality questions.

And that brings me back to the waiter. You know what he meant by the word "home" don't you, when he helped you out with his advice?

Best wishes for your love, not to speak of you yourself.

Regards.

oj

Last edited: Jun 24, 2010
  8. Cheeniya

My dear OJ

If I were one the pompous characters of PGW like Aunt Agatha (mind you, not Aunt Dahlia!), I would have asked you, “To what do I owe the honour of your visit to an ancient thread of mine?” But I know what your answer would be. The famous four letter word of Tamil Nadu, DOSA! It would of course be presumptuous to say that I drew you like a magnet!

Among the members of a fraternity to which I belong, we never mention the name of God but with that awe and reverence which are due from the creature to his Creator. All the Wodehousians treat Anatole on the same footing. Anatole is God’s gift to gastric juices! Jeeves is on the contrary an intellectual who spends all his leisure curling up with the latest from the Spanish philosopher Spinoza! Both these characters ride all the creations of PGW like Colossus of Rhodes. Among the demands made on the intellect of Jeeves, the chief is to extricate his master Bertie and his friends out of their thoughtless wedding proposals besides ensuring that the over sensitive Anatole is always at peace with himself so that his admirers can continue to enjoy his divine creations.

Talking of the waiter who advised me to go home and eat, it was not a lie. It is possible that he was in a foul mood having been caught red-handed with a fistful of dry fruits making their way to his eager mouth. He was probably delivered a long lecture which, if you ask me, is worse than merciless caning! That sour episode might have brought about a great change in his attitude towards the management prompting him to give the kind of advice as he gave me. Be that as it may, I am surprised to hear that you are a dosa love but even more surprised to hear of your allegiance to Woodlands. With the mushrooming of specialty Dosa joints all over Chennai, Woodlands has become a land of dead wood! It is still a favourite place for the octogenarians of Chennai whose taste buds ceased to be functional decades back but your attachment for the place can be understood knowing Bengali’s preference for ancient land marks!

I too belong to Nagalakshmi’s school. If I step on a piece of paper or a printed book even inadvertently, I touch it reverently and transfer the touch to my eyes for we have been told that all books are manifestations of Goddess Saraswathi. I continue touching the book and transferring the touch to my eyes until the Goddess offers me a forgiving smile absolving me of my irreverent act. This is a very common sight in South.

In today’s world, nothing has an everlasting value. People change their mobile phones every month, their automobiles every six month. Divorce laws are getting much easier even in India according to the latest press reports. So where is the question of anyone giving up anything for anything else? Every time the word ‘love’ is mentioned now, the likes of Laila and Majnu must be turning in their graves.

I have this habit of staying at a safe distance from famous people like Aishwarya Rai Bacchan and Anatole (alphabetically arranged). I have two reasons for it. First is my fear that any close encounter with them may expose their vulnerabilities and cause them to fall in my estimation. Second is the fear that I may lose my mental equilibrium and go overboard in their presence! I can drive Anatole out of Dahlia’s place by my habit of eating my food with my raw hands like the Cro-Magnon man.

Your pitting PGW against me is a bit on the excessive side. PGW is God. I may keep saying ‘Aham Brahmasmi’ but there is no way I can become a true Brahman. My Senile Ramblings are like donning the robe of a tiger to please a gullible audience.

But honestly, I like what I hear in that ending para of yours!
    Sri

9. Amma15

Amma15 Gold IL'ite

Dear Cheeniya Sir,

When I saw the title I was quite unprepared for the content - Dosai!

I wasn't a great fan of the dosai till I got married and discovered that the way to get to everyone's heart ( husband, FIL, MIL, friends & children's friends included ) was through the dosai! There is always the batter in the fridge to make every kind.

Soft fat ones with chutney for FIL, crisp almost like appalam for MIL, just right for DH and then the phone rings,"Amma 6 of my friends are coming over from the hostel to watch football. Can they have dosai? Please don't say no" Even though it is like feed time in the zoo I dont refuse - you know why. Because they say" Fabulous dosas aunty. Best we have had" Well it happens everytime! It feels good to hear it even if it isn't really true.

Any wonder why I too have become a fan of the dosa.

Regards,
    Usha.

PS . Just curiosity - what did you do when the waiter told you to go home and eat? Did you?

10. Cheeniya

Dear Usha
    See how many people you can keep happy with just a single Dosa batter! That's why I equate it with Mahavishnu. He took nine Avatars to ensure peace and harmony among His creations.The Tenth is awaited and we are waiting with bated breath to behold Kalki riding on a winged horse. Likewise Dosa batter too takes different avatars in the cause of domestic peace and harmony. You have written how different avatars of the same batter help you to gladden the hearts of your DH, MIL, DD and her friends!

I must also place on record my admiration for the housewives. They know that dosa batter emits a different smell on each day of its vintage and they make a different dish with it every day in tune with the unique smell of each day. Dosa batter is in a way immortal. It is the only thing that is consumed with great relish even after a hundred days!
    Sri

PS: Having told my DW that I would not be home for dinner, I had to negative the bearer's suggestion! Instead, I gave up my pursuit of any exotic versions of Dosa and ordered for its most primitive version namely Plain Dosa with gun powder as the Northies call our dear Chilly Powder!