Doing post-delivery care yourself

Discussion in 'Post Pregnancy Care' started by RHariharan, Dec 20, 2011.

1. RHariharan

RHariharan New IL'ite

Dear Indusladies,

I have posted a question in this forum regarding this topic, but now feel the need to talk afresh about it.. Im in need of some real clear thinking and advice. Indusladies has never failed me regarding these really tricky and tender decisions, and Im once again at your door knocking for sound advice!

So here's my story in short:

I am married 3 years and live in the US with my husband. I am 4 months pregnant. Currently, I am in India and will be here till my brother's wedding in January 2012. Now.. this is the first grandchild in both my family and my husband's family (read: plenty of anticipation!) Basically -- this pregnancy news has been awaited for close to 3 years and much pressure later.. It so happened that this is the time when Im pregnant. Now, I have a complication called placental previa -- due to which I will have to have a c-section done. Initially I was nervous about it, but now I have accepted it and am fine with it. Apart from the risk of being bed-rested and everything -- my main dilemma is about managing 2 sets of parents who may/may not be in the US around the time of delivery. This is causing me much stress -- so I reach out to all experienced mothers about this..

Now, the real detail is in something else: my in laws may come to the US to attend the function held in the 8th month (seemantham), in case we cant conduct it before leaving India. Now, if my in laws do come, I think they will be with us atleast for a month after the baby is born.. naturally, its the first-born grandchild.

So my management issue here is: My mother has made it clear that she wants to be there.. when it happens. And yes, of course I would love to have her.. BUT.. there is no way I can have her over when my in laws are there as well.

A reason why I say this is also that there is all this politicking happening because my Amma has strong ideas on nearly everything.. in fact, she has already asked me 'whether or not me and my DH are willing to "listen" to her on things when she is in the US for delivery'.. Sigh.. this attitude of hers really makes me nervous. My DH is going to be 31 years old and is an extremely responsible, caring and very affectionate husband.. he has seen me through a surgery, funded me through a full MS degree..and supports me to this day through CPA exams.. while my parents keep asking me 'why I take tension to write exams'.. sigh. he takes every effort to help me write exams (including cooking in the evenings!) so I have no doubts that come -delivery, he will do his utter best to help me conquer each discomfort and take care of our child. To such a man, to dish out strong advice and expect him to not even murmur his opinion will only lead to fights.. and I can see it coming. Also, I cannot keep explaining my mother to him -- it hurts me too! My mother may have her faults-- but she too is extremely efficient and caring -- and having him feel angry about something she said/does -- even if justified -- will hurt me so much!

I want to avoid all this confusion. Simple. I want to protect my relationships from imploding. I really want to manage by myself post delivery. Starting from changing sanitary napkins to feeding the infant.. I want to manage myself simply because Im the mommy, its MY first child and I would much rather focus on the beautiful child than keep my family (or myself!) from fighting with each other! For all said and done -- Im a pretty organized and strong-willed person; if I truly decide I want to manage by myself -- Im sure I can. I dont want to convince myself that I will 'definitely' need some one along with me... no matter what the inconvenience to the other is. My mother is old and has many responsibilities here.. so if she says she would come, would I be too rude to say 'no need'..?

Can senior mothers tell me what the challenges are after a C-Section birth? How have other ladies managed after a C-Section birth? Please share your honest experiences, and tales of how you managed after child birth.. In case I have only my in laws over, will I manage OK? I have specific questions like:

-- WIll I be able to take a bath by myself?
    -- WIll be able to stand for long periods and cook?
    -- Will I be able to change my own sanitary napkins?
    -- Should I hire a nurse in case my mom cant make it?
    -- What if Im bed-rested? What does bed-rest mean? Will I need some one with me 24/7?
    -- Will it be too much strain on my husband?
    -- Will it be bad for my recovery if I do things by myself?

Thankyou so so so much ladies.. please tell me your most forthright and firm advice, as Im badly in need of some..

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011

2. Chandrika82

Chandrika82 Silver IL'ite

Great questions !! I am waiting to see advice from other ILites, as i am in a similar situation, not a planned C-Section though.

Please pour in your thoughts.

3. cissyboo

cissyboo Silver IL'ite

You WILL need assistance after a c-section, whether from your DH or parents/inlaws. Trust me, you will NOT feel up to doing much for yourself/your baby after you get released from hospital for several days. Your incision will be painful, the stitches/staples will ITCH, and any touch on the area will likely be painful (even the baby). Make sure you have a pillow nearby, for when you cough or sneeze, and to protect the incision form the baby when feeding.
    While in the hospital, when the catheter is removed (attached to the collection bag) make sure you get up and move-you should be up and about no more than 12 hours after delivery (dependent on when the bag is removed), or you may have problems later. Walking will be painful, but lean on IV stand or DH/parent/inlaw and shuffle around as much as possible.
    When home, you can change the napkins yourself, and make sure to wear loose cotton/natural fiber clothing (even panties) to allow air to get to the incision to help it to heal. Make sure to wash the incision well with a cleanser for sensitive skin with no fragrance, and pat dry with a lint-free towel or wash cloth (and keep these clean). No lotion on the incision for weeks (makes the itching hard to take, but rather itchy than infection). You will be unsteady for a few days on your feet.
    Bedrest means your doctor does not want any stressful activity-you don't generally have to spend all day in bed, but resting not heavy housework is in order.

After the birth, as I stated above, you WILL need someone with you. You likely will not be able to stand and cook for long periods of time, you will need to sit down (pain, weak feeling in legs, lightheadedness). It is not necessarily bad for your recovery to do for yourself, but you have to obey your body and its signals. Don't do too much (could cause bleeding at the incision if you split it), take it easy, and accept ANY help that your family and friends are willing to give you.
    Good luck, and congratulations on the baby!

**I have had both children with c-section, and just two weeks back had a hysterectomy (which has a very similar recovery/healing profile <without all the bleeding>), and these are the suggestions my doctor and nurses gave me, plus my own very current experience with an abdominal surgery incision.

4. bukbuk

bukbuk Silver IL'ite

You certainly need someone to help you after c-section. Doctors prescribe bed rest of about 8 weeks following the operation when you are advised to walk around, however, not over do it. It's important to see that incision heals completely, otherwise, it may lead to infection, rupture, re-stiching...etc.

However, I think, if your husband takes leave from work and stays with you, it's manageable. Incision pains a lot during first week and walking around will be hard. It gets better later on. I know so many ladies in the western world who manage their delivery, even c-section, along with older children, themselves.

5. RHariharan

RHariharan New IL'ite

Hi cissy, thanks so much for your detailed response; its really great to hear about the 'real' experience. I will keep what you said in mind before making a decision.. RHari

6. RHariharan

RHariharan New IL'ite

" I know so many ladies in the western world who manage their delivery, even c-section, along with older children, themselves."

bukbuk, who are these ladies and how exactly did they manage by themselves? Did they buy food from outside? Did their husbands take off from work? Did they have a friend come by occasionally to help around? Any chance any of these ladies are on IL?

Thanks so much!

7. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

i managed by myself after c-section.initially my dh took care of cooking and other household activities while i completely took care of my LO.Later on when i started cooking,i cooked only in the night and had the same for next day afternoon when dh is at work.
    1.yes c-sec will take time to heal.so you need to be real slow and careful till that 6 weeks period till ur stitches are cured
    2.taking care of baby around the clock could be tiresome.so learn to take rest and sleep along with your LO
    3.take care of your diet as you need to establish your milk supply
    4.bed rest is needed only during pregnancy and not after your delivery.

8. RHariharan

RHariharan New IL'ite

Dear JGVR,

Thank you so much for your post! It makes a huge difference.. its so good to hear. Thanks for coming out and writing. I have some specific (albeit sensitive) questions on this front:

-- Will I be able to use the bathroom seat without difficulty?
    -- When can I bathe if I have stitches in the middle?
    -- Can I handle the infant without bending over and lifting him/her? or does some one need to hand me the infant always?
    -- what do you mean when you say you should be 'careful' for 6 weeks.. does that mean avoiding bending/liftng? does it mean avoiding water and contact where the stitches are?

9. vibhaRam

vibhaRam Junior IL'ite

Placenta Previa itself is a complication, which can be harmful to you and your baby [ I don't mean to scare you].
    I don't know what kind of PP you are diagnosed with, whether it is marginal/partial / complete PP, you have to take bed rest so much so that you have to minimize all your activities. It's better to take complete bed rest or whatever your obstetrician has prescribed you.

You ought to have your parents/in-laws to help you out for sure whether it's while carrying or postpartum.
    Now that you are diagnosed with PP you cannot even travel to India as you have to limit travelling,intercourse,
    pelvic examinations co'z of the above said problem. So, you have to have your parents with you.

Why don't you try asking your husband about your mom's stay with you. Tell him that his mother wouldn't be able to take care and help you as much as your OWN mother can. Tell him you don't want to trouble his parents by making them help you for every small thing eg., bringing a glass of water, If you want you can ask/yell/request your mom but cannot do the same with his mother, as it would be upsetting /hurting them.
    Believe me you have much comfort with your parents.After the baby is 3 months old you can go stay at your in-laws place for few months, else see to it you have both your's and his parents by your side.

Once you undergo Cesarean, you won't be able to do anything at least for 6 weeks.

WIll I be able to take a bath by myself?
    Ans- Yeah you will be.
    -- WIll be able to stand for long periods and cook?
    Ans-No you won't be able to. All you ever want to do will be sitting/sleeping.
    -- Will I be able to change my own sanitary napkins?
    Ans- Yeah you will be able to.
    -- Should I hire a nurse in case my mom cant make it?
    Ans- Well, I have no idea about hiring nurse, but make sure your mother's with you.
    -- What if Im bed-rested? What does bed-rest mean? Will I need some one with me 24/7?
    Ans- Yeah you need, to some extent, co'z of complications arising due to PP [bleeding, preterm labour, premature rupture of membranes]
    -- Will it be too much strain on my husband?
    Ans- As your husband is caring, you won't be bothersome to your husband, as you are carrying after 3 yrs.
    -- Will it be bad for my recovery if I do things by myself?
    Ans- Yeah, usually after CS it will be 5-6 months for full recovery [ back ache though continues even after that].

To be frank it's not that easy taking care of yourself and your baby, you have lot to do, feeding[breast/bottle],changing diapers,giving bath,cleaning after your baby's vomit,utmost care is essential for babies.If you are to breast feed there should less problem,if bottle feeding too much problem[ warming milk, cleaning feeding bottles,sterilizing them even at midnight etc...]

Bottom line- have help from parents

All the best to you. Try to be happy. watch comedy,dance shows,singing shows etc...Don't stress out.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  10. JGVR

JGVR Gold IL'ite

-avoid lifting heavy weight,avoid going up and downstairs often,pat dry your stitches,avoid exhaustion.