1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Doesn't drink liquids

Discussion in 'Baby / Kids Foods' started by Srimanam, Dec 24, 2009.

1. Srimanam

Srimanam New IL'ite

My son is 13 months old. I just weaned him from BF. I'm worried he gets dehydarated as he doesn't like drinking liquids neigther milk or water or juices.
    he doesnt like fluids because he chokes while drinking. He is not familiar with his sippy cup, when ever I give him sippy cup he just chews on it for few minutes and he throws it away.

And from a cup he just chokes on his first sip itself. Any suggestion to help my son get familiar with sippy cup or a cup? Right now I give liquids with spoon.

2. Pavarun

Pavarun Silver IL'ite

Srimanam,

Did you gradually wean or just stop nursing? Was he ever on formula? If he was on bottles and some formula, maybe you can continue with a toddler formula and slowly introduce milk.

If he never was on bottles then I would not introduce the bottle but just keep trying with the sippy cup. Experiment with a starter sippy cup. Sometimes the liquid lows out too fast and the babies choke.

3. paddubala

paddubala Silver IL'ite

I also weaned by son at this same age..However from his 11th month, I gave him sippy cup with whole milk...slowly substituted each feed with sippy cup that by 13th month, he cud drink on his own...continue with sippy cup...dont use bottle at this stage...he'll learn eventually...

4. Srimanam

Srimanam New IL'ite

I gradually weaned him and he is never on bottle. I Introduced him with sippy cup when he is 8 months old, I also tried different brands. He never tries to suck from the spout, he always chews the spout with his jaws. The thing is he is still teething, he just got 4 tooth.