1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

does your MIL/FIL get kind of annoyed at this?

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Happy2be, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

DO your in laws get annoyed when you poke ur kid..or need to behave strictly for some petty issues..issues like watching TV..watching TV in dark..eating junk foods..etc..Petty issues which you dont want to bcum a habit and poke in as you know once the child grows up with it , you wud find it way harder to change him/her? Lets share what issues you face and how you successfully tackled them? Out of some 'n', one of mine is -
    I always insist her to watch TV in ample light...be it an extra light burning but not less light..SHe has once had eye muscle strain and was on eye drops for 15 days...and still at times tells of bit strain if she watches TV at long stretch... SheI think is li'll young yet to remember each t ime to switch on the proper tubelight . ALl our rooms have low voltage CFL's and double tubelights. I have told her in front of in laws numerous times that whild rading or watching TV switch on the double tubelight..open curtains...she tends to forget. Even when she is watching TV in their room..they will keep CFL on...curtains are open at times and not at other times...I switch on tubelight...they say open curtain..I say do both till she is watching..then once her time is over, you can do the way you like...If I tell her strictly to watch TV in our room, I feel in laws will feel I'm telling her not to go to them and moreover I cannot monitor each minute. I'm working from home.
    I have softly talked to them, requested them few times to remember this and let her get into the habit...they forget each time...Many a times when I see this by chance, I go and switch on tubelight which 2 out of 10 they again will shift to small light n curtains open..I dont feel that very sufficient cos of position of window.
    And at times I firmly scold her for not having switched on..I cant say this to in-laws directly after few trials now :) Today morning..she woke up at 8..went to their room..switched on TV..without going to loo etc...and started watching..I went to serve breakfast n saw this n firmly told her again n switched off TV and told her she is not watching till breakfast..she started crying loudly and I tol NO. in laws do not support her though anytime in such cases...but MIL started telling her "why r u crying..you did wrong why didnt you get up n switch on the light etc." SHe kept crying plz plz...I was annoyed n said to DD in front of all that it affects some eyes n doesnt affect some..why u want to take risk...get into habit of using lights...if others dont remember you should do it urself cos u were wathcing TV.
    After that twice MIL in bit annoyed tone and FIL in general tone have said..Now we wont ever let you see TV in our room..go to your mum and its upto you both then.

Some such matters come up many a times, at times repeatedly where elders can see that we are also being targetted but they do not see its for the child...so why dont they bcum equally vigil. I cannot stand this that I dont poke or scold DD for something they permitted which I know is absolutely not taken and permission granted few times is permission TAKEN FOR GRANTED EACH TIME!!

so what are your issues? and how do you handle it? Does your DH support you and how?

2. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

Well, I too had this problem . But the point in grandparents are grandparents and parents are parents. My DS will always try to take advantage of his grand parents presence and try to get away with mischief which he knows will not be tolerated. In fact many of my DH relatives used to consider me very harsh mother but now when they see their grand children they tell their DIL to raise their children like me.:)

"After that twice MIL in bit annoyed tone and FIL in general tone have said..Now we wont ever let you see TV in our room..go to your mum and its upto you both then."

I feel they were trying to make your DD understand that she has to obey her mother. For a few days do not allow her to watch TV unless she turns on the lights i.e. First she turns on the lights then the TV . Be persistent and consistent. All the best

1 person likes this.
  3. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

thanks for replying Aaral...I know this happens in all houses..and yes MIL keeps telling her to listen to me..As I said we 4 never cut the other in front of her..even if we feel it was wrong. But yesterday MIL took it to herself and didnt talk to me whole day long...had her food in her room and not with all of us in dining room...these some ways are her patent ways to show her annoyance and leave all guessing who is she annoyed at and for what reason which usulayy turns out to be petty or just a joke said in general...anyways...thanks again :)

4. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

I know I have had the same experiences . I wish she would just tell me whats bothering her? After asking if she doesn't say anything I continue doing the other chores. Some things are the same no matter where you live........Patience .............But seriously I really feel you should take a few days off. Handling 3 grown up children and one child is TOUGH!!!!!!!!

5. Happy2be

Happy2be Gold IL'ite

lolz..seriously..its not easy at all...as about taking a break...thats another part of the story..Im sure you must have had some similar ones too...lol...when we tell elders that X type of expenditure is not affordable this time..then thats a kind of full stop for some recent future outings...at times I feel the older generation in all was political...kept assuming thinking within self creating rifts in mind unlike us , who always want to simply speak out for once ..clear it out and keep peace at both ends..and elders call us being Modern..ruthless..over confident and we call it being sensible and practical...hahaha.... ANd really they have the inner strength and real patience to keep lingering on with matters still keep saying "I'm fine..DId I complain to you" but atmosphere tells us all..rofl :)

1 person likes this.
  6. aaral

aaral Silver IL'ite

I know been there and done that............ All you can do right now is take it one day at a time. All the best!