1. Want to be a Positive Parent? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does this come under Autism Spectrum? please help

Discussion in 'Toddlers' started by suvarchala, Feb 6, 2010.

1. lotusgirl

lotusgirl Senior IL'ite

Am glad the doc was able to put your mind at ease too from a professional angle.

Just 1 thing mae me wonder about the following -
    You mentioed he doesnt always react to his name.. Have you got his ears checked recently? Has he had a bout of ear infections? MY LO after getting ear infections had a bit of temporary lowered hearing level in 1 ear. this disappeared after a while, but we were told by the docs to speak up with LO due to this. Yes it did lead to situations where we were worried to the less enthusiastic reactions to calling out/talking out to LO..

2. tikka

tikka Gold IL'ite

3. dheepu81

dheepu81 New IL'ite

Hi Suvarchala,

good that you met a slp and clarified your doubts, i can understand your concern as a mom.
    I do agree with the others........now im going to talk like a speech language pathologist.........
    your child sounds perfectly normal to me......nowadays children from nuclear familes and with both parents working start talking late..........its nothing but lack of enough stimulation..........spend time with your child and talk a lot that'll do

tc

4. suvarchala

suvarchala New IL'ite

hi all,
    Thanks again everybody!!
    ear infection angle sounds new.. but when i do a meowww or a bhowwww he perfectly looks at me and grins..so i didnt touch this area earlier.
    Any ways with bouts of phlegm/cough/cold times like these days. i will surely get his ears checked.

Regarding playing with kids,I understand there is a distinct advantage of being with kids his age.. he does engage in some kind od paralell play with kids.But the chance is less so now.. since I will join my Husband in the US soon.

Here the fellow is in the company of grand mom/pop/great grand mom and relatives.. who are talkative kinds .. so i believe he is surrounded by non stop sounds.
    I read to him from the time he was 7 months old.. but the fello now is interested in tearing away pages or mutilating the book rather than listen to what i read.. i just tell him rhymes and stories.. which he can focus for 4 to 5 mins max.

I got some CDs for him to watch.. he is simply not at all into watching TV.
    Except for his great grand mother none of us are into TV watching.. I think thats reflecting.
    I dont see severe texture preferences.. but likes drinking milk a lot.
    every time he is sick.. he prefers milk.
    one thing that starts me up is his head banging..sometimes for fun and sometimes in protrest..Well my mom in law is a high voltage headbanger
    so every body says he has taken after her..but..i see many toddlers doing that..DS does it like 3 time a day on avg
    RGD ,responding to name,My trouble is every body has a name for him.. He has a very simple first name which nobody ever bothers to call with...I am trying to call him by his first name only.Lets see.

Fairly healthy child.but now has severe phlegm/cold.. this is his third attack in 2 months..no ear infection.
    He is on ambrodil S/T minic (for cold now).last time he had nebulisations too.

will keep you updated !!
    Love y'all
    su

5. prtywomen

prtywomen Junior IL'ite

Hi Su,
    how is your son doing?

6. Ishasmom

Ishasmom New IL'ite

Glad I came across this thread. I am worried about my 13 month old son-my husband's brother's son has autism so we are extra cautious about all his behaviors. I hope you ladies can give me some insight. We had his 1 year check up with Ped and she said it's too early to do anything as our concerns may change by his 15 month appointment. So she basically told us to wait until 2 more months.
    Ok so here goes:
    Cons:
    1. Hard to get his attention when he is playing/exploring (this just began after he started to be more mobile, at 10 months he was turning every time we called his name)
    2. Will only look into my eyes when I sing songs or when I nurse him (still breastfeeding)
    3. Major separation anxiety-I cannot even leave the room without him following me.
    4. Doesn't bring me anything to "show" like toys or anything
    5. Doesn't ask/communicate by pointing-he just cries and comes to my legs for me to pick him up
    6. Loves the ceiling fan and his daily goal is to press the TV buttons all day

Pros:
    1. Can do motion for "Govinda" and claps when we say "do bhajan"
    2. Waves bye bye about 50% of time but only when we ask
    3. Points to my nose, eyes when I ask
    4. Babbles a LOT-mamma, dadda, thatha, baba but not meaningfully
    5. Understands when I say "Look daddy is home" he will go to the door happily
    6. He dances to music and loves peek a boo

He started babbling very late-close to 10 months. I would appreciate any insight or help. I am losing sleep worrying about him. Also, my DH thinks I'm crazy.

7. vjbunny

vjbunny IL Hall of Fame

Hi Ishamom
    Your baby is too young some babies have delayed milestones... and from what you have written your baby seems alright dont worry dear