1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does the Husband need to be Older than the Wife?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by kAlyaniShAnti, May 23, 2010.

1. kAlyaniShAnti

kAlyaniShAnti IL Hall of Fame

Thank you, Lolli, for the link.
    So far, in this thread we have got the views on why the H should be older.

If I re-frame the topic like 'why the husband need not be older than the wife' - the first point comes to my mind that the younger ones do not have the 'old man issues' (as indicated in the link lollipop gave)... It explains many things.

2. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear HappyWife,
    I completely agree with you here..

I feel, the happiness in a marriage is derived from the sense of being needed by someone and the family. This comes only when there is respect, love and trust. Relative age of H and W is completely a personal choice and does not decide (much) the success of a marriage. IMO

Thanks for your comments.

3. nemesis

nemesis Platinum IL'ite

My dad is 7 or 8 years elder to my mom. But she still dominates as if she is the most knowledgeable person on earth.

In My Humble Opinion, lot of self respect is preserved in obeying a same age wife than to a 3/4/5 years younger one.

4. bujji_1522

bujji_1522 Silver IL'ite

I got married recently. Initially in my late teens i always had an argument with my mom on this topic as to why we shud marry a guy of older age...sometimes which used to turn to be big ones. Anyways now i don even remember the base of those arguments...

But when the groom hunt for my marriage started, true to my moms words, I started looking for the profiles who are atleast 2 and atmost 3yrs elder to me. The main reason behind this is the mentality and maturity levels of the friends and colleagues of my age. I found no one in that group who were atleast ready to think abt a marriage...and they always used to say that marriage is a very big responsibility and they need some time to get into that(i.e., they need their so called "free time" first to enjoy as bachelors) and then take up the marriage thoughts atleast...

So i ended up marrying my DH who is 3 years elder to me. I personally feel that its always good if husband is older than a wife...may be atleast in arranged marriages...but at the end of the day as all said the happy marriage always get down to the point of mutual understanding.

5. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Neme,
    thank you for expressing your opinion.:)

6. kAlyaniShAnti

Bujji Dear,

congratulations on your marriage! I appreciate your points.

7. iyerviji

iyerviji IL Hall of Fame

Kalyani dear today I thought let me give fbs to your threads which I have missed. So this also is one which I did not give fb.

You might think me old fashioned but its always better if the husband is older than the wife atleast three, four years older. It should be always the man who should run the family and the family should give respect to him. Thats what I feel.

I think if the husband is younger the wife will rule the house. There will be lot of difference of opinion between them. There might be happy married life between some of them. There are marriages where the wife is older and they are happy. Also there are marriages where the wife is older and they are not so happy.

I had a colleague in my office who was my close friend also. She was not getting married and according to the horoscope she might not be so happy in her married life. Another colleague liked her and it was love marriage. I was not in favour of the marriage. But I knew she wont like to take my advice. In the beginning they were happy . Since he was a young guy he had many girl friends and they resigned and went abroad. He never sticks much to one company. Goes on changing the job. She also left the job and went abroad but he did not stay there for long and after children she came back and he stayed there only. From there again he changed two, three jobs. She stayed in India and he was abroad. She felt very sad that she left a good job also. She only brought up her children alone and when they reached college stage now she has gone abroad to say with him. She was not so happy to go there.

So it depends on each one's luck. What others have mentioned is also right a woman ages fast and men always look young.

Sorry for the long post.

8. SallyR

SallyR Silver IL'ite

Average life expectancy of women is longer than men I think. If that's true, then there is an argument for women to be older in a relationship.

I don't think it matters very much, as long as both are adults, the age gap is not too much (like over 16 years) and couples themselves don't mind. There is no problem as to who should be older.

9. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Vijimma,
    Nice to see you here!

You have explained your points so well with examples. I completely get your point, ma! I have seen women getting married with younger boys. One the other side I have seen the marriage getting spoilt for over-controlling and dominating husband/wife when the wife is younger!

Yes, ma... To a good extent it is luck!

10. kAlyaniShAnti

Dear Sally,

Thanks for coming in here! I also think that, too much of age gap may be troublesome. But who is the older one may not matter. But all depends on the individual concerned and their mind set :hide: