1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does The Black Buck Stop Here?

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Balajee, Nov 9, 2016.

1. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Last night I was hooked on to My Kitchen Rules , the cookery reality show on Colours Infinity channel when my reverie was rudely interrupted by a phone call. It was a relative who urged me to switch over to a news channel as good ol’ NaMobhai was making an earthshaking announcement.

My first impression was he had declared an emergency to lock up anti-nationals like yours truly for writing blogs that his followers would love to brand unpatriotic, against his government. Nope. He declared that Rs 1,000 and Rs 500 notes had been demonetised presumably to fight black money and counterfeit currency.

Of course NaMo was kind enough to allow us to exchange notes of these denomination for smaller currency until November 24 or to deposit them in our bank accounts by December 30.

Now does this measure really help combat black money and counterfeit currency allegedly printed by Pak’s ISI to bankroll terrorism? Let us start with the black money bit.

The move seems to be playing on the popular notion that people stash millions and even billions of notes in their homes, say under false ceilings or have hidden trapdoors at home which when opened, reveal an Alibaba’s cave packed with currency. I don’t know whether this is naiveté or an unshakeable faith in the naivete’ of people who are neck deep in such misconceptions.

The days when income tax raids brought out wads of currency from the homes of rich and famous are long over. The smart businessmen and politicians stash them in overseas banks while showing fake tax compliance by doctoring their accounts and paying taxes far less than what they deserve to pay.

The money of course returns to India through participatory notes of foreign institutional investors (FII) which ensure that the actual investor’s identity is not revealed though the other means of laundering black money, the infamous “Mauritius Route” which Indian entrepreneurs exploited through dummy firms to bring back their money to India with little help from a very favourable double taxation avoidance agreement was shut down in May.

The real black money remains stashed abroad, in Switzerland, Cayman Islands and other such havens. Half hearted attempts to bring the overseas stash back has not yielded any results. The promise of the present ruling dispensation that every Indian would have Rs 15 lakhs in his account when the black money abroad is brought back to India, remains just words.

Now even if moneybags in India had a cache of unaccounted cash, what makes you think they have not already converted the black money in Rs 50o0 and 1000 into smaller notes?. They are not blind and the move to demonetise the 500 and 1000 rupee notes was not taken at the spur of the movement and it was being planned for long.l These guys have eyes and ears in the government. I am sure they would have known what was coming and acted accordingly. That way the move I must say IS really futile.

As for the opposition howls that it would hit the middle class and poor , let us take a balanced view. Enough time has been given for exchanging these higher denomination notes at banks for smaller currency and a choice to deposit them by December 30 in your bank account. This works well in cities and small towns. But the problem is how about the backwaters of India? Have all these areas where currency rules the roost and not cheques, credit cards or electronic transfers have access to facilities for exchanging the devalued currency? I doubt it. So these poor chaps are the ones who are bound to be hit by the move not the urban middle class or the rich.

The second reason given for the move is it would block financing of terrorist activities through counterfeit currency by ISI. Seriously? What makes you presume that ISI would not be able to fake the new Rs 500 and Rs 2000 notes that would replace the demonetized currency? In the short run demonetization might halt counterfeiting but in the long run it does not help in any way.

Thus what we have here is partly a cosmetic move and partly something that could adversely hit the people in India’s hinterlands and even urban poor like domestic hels and daily wage labourers. Sorry, but the black buck needs to stop here, but this is no way to do it.

If the government had real political will to tackle black money it would zero in wholeheartedly on overseas stash like many other countries have successfully done. But considering its track record so far in this respect and the names of some people close to it popping up in the Panama papers money laundering scandal this seems to be a tall order.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016

2. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Seriously, Balajee, I am no supporter of Modi. In fact I have always been totally against him. This time I laud him for his guts. How many governments would dare do something like this for fear of losing their vote banks? I get the feeling he certainly means very well.

#2. I see this government as one which is doing some work - never mind whether their decisions are popular or not, whether they will be effective or not.

I agree with you that it is the poorest who are hit over these few days - the ones who can't use cards, cheques or electronic banking (but I am sure things should soon return to normal). I do have my doubts whether the Ambanis of India were forewarned or not. I find it hard to believe they would not have been. Despite that if even 70-75% success in bringing out the black money is achieved, it will be a huge amount.

Yes, I am certainly waiting with bated breath (as I am sure the whole 'nation' is) for the day when we get Rs. 15 lakhs in each of our accounts out of the repatriated money. :-D

Having said all that, I really feel this is the one bright spot in a day where oranges trump. That by no stretch of imagination is hilarious.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  3. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi this move is mere shadow boxing for the simple reason the lion's share of black money is stashed abroad and the real big fish , say Ambanis or Adanis don't run around with cash in their bags. Adanis have already been named in the Panama paper money laundering scandal. And those who have black money stashed in India are not fools. They would have their links in the government otherwise they would perish, and would have known that the move was coming and taken countermeasures. This is why such measures would not help in any way. We shouldn't be awed by the very fact that the government takes decisions but stop and examine whether the decisions are right and would really benefit the nation instead of just being a cosmetic step.

maggi32, Deepu04 and satchitananda like this.
  4. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

Balajee, I agree with you that this change is not going to meet the stated objective of black money or counterfeiting. The worst part was the PM's speech in which he tells the people that the notes will be worthless after midnight. It is like assuming that everyone that holds the money has it as black money. For most people it is not a piece of paper, it is their labor, their ticket to food, healthcare and other necessities. The PM speech should have built a confidence in people instead of a scare. A relative of mine had to travel on the 8th and he had no money. Also, he has daughter's wedding coming up and had cash for the purchases as most caterers, decorators take cash only. He is tensed now. It has created nothing but hardship for common man with the upcoming marriage season.

The government has not adequately prepared for handling the rush for the lower denomination bills or the newer bills and also the manpower to help the people. The Indian population has not switched to plastic or check system. How many merchants accept plastic or checks?

I have heard that people are buying the old bills at a discount and then hire poor people to get it exchanged in small chunks. So how has the black money stopped? It has just changed hands.

The counterfeiting and terrorism funding may be true but is it to such an extent that every citizen is put through this misery?

With medical services being expensive, many people keep cash of a few lakhs rupees, accumulated over years for emergency medical treatment. Now if these people deposit the amount, the income tax department will be after them to produce the trail. How does a person produce trail for years of withdrawal and savings? The banks don't have computerized records and people may have changed their residence.

Lost all the remaining respect for Modi.

5. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Forget plastic money and checks. How many Indians are connected to the banking system? In the cities it is fine but banking has not become a part of life in vast rural backwaters of India. The dealings here are in cash and people prefer to stash their money at home than in a banki. In such areas the demonetization will cause massive suffering, particularly to the rural poor. Even in cities, people like daily wagers are bound to be badly hit. As if demonetization is not enough, the draconian measures include a 200% fine on bank deposits of people with over two and half lakhs in their account if they deposit at one go more than their known sources of income! This is ridiculous and will hit only the middle class and not the moneyed.If he had any sense, he would have learnt from the adage Those who don't learn from history are condemned to repeat it. When Morarji Desai was PM he indulged in similar demonetization to curb black money and it brought in nothing.

6. Akanksha1982

Akanksha1982 IL Hall of Fame

At least in case of Morarji Desai, the bills that were demonetized were 1000, 5000 and 10000 and at that time not many people had those high denomination bills or even seen them. In today's world, 500 and 1000 is nothing. Even simple groceries cost more than 500 or a simple dine out costs more than 500. So it is painful for middle class and lower class people.

He talks about sacrifice and what does the nation get for this sacrifice from the government? Where is Swach Bharat? Taxes are collected on Swach Bharat but has the number of sweepers increased? Has the sewage/drainage system improved? There are still areas of flooding. Many people suffered from Dengue and not a single initiative from the government.

I am surprised that there are no riots on the streets.

maggi32 and satchitananda like this.
  7. satchitananda

satchitananda IL Hall of Fame

Riots on the streets? Akanksha, everyone seems to be welcoming this step. One thing, though puzzles me. What is the point of introducing notes of the value of Rs. 2000/- after withdrawing 1000/- and 500/- rupee notes? How does that tackle black money? Basically the likes of we know who can continue making money. Unless that is tackled and money brought back as promised, this battle will be incomplete.

Yesterday I heard of an old man on a wheel chair waving a 500 note in a hospital and shouting at all the staff. That bit also is crazy. Why only govt hospitals? What about the private ones? What happens if all emergency patients start rushing to the few govt hospitals? Can you imagine the crowds and the number of deaths caused because the docs in govt hospitals are inundated? Even medicines can be got from only govt pharmacies.

Petrol pumps are also crowded because people can use their 500 rupee notes there.

A well meant but badly implemented plan, notwithstanding that it was in the works for 6 months?

maggi32 and Akanksha1982 like this.
  8. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Satchi the introduction of the Rs 2,000 note makes me smell a rat. The higher the denomination, the easier it is to store black money at home.True why only hospitals? any shopkeeper can accept the demonetized notes and deposit them in their bank accounts and withdraw the new currency from there. .

maggi32 and satchitananda like this.
  9. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Forget riots lot of purblind people are euphoric about the measure as if it would bring out oodles of black bucks. As for swachch Bharat it remains Shauch Bharat. Garbage collected are not even treated before being dumped in landfills.

10. MNR

MNR Gold IL'ite

Hi Balajee,
    I want to differ from you in this aspect. In swatch barath abiyaan, Modi wanted people like you and me to be proactive, lessen your wastage and keep your surroundings clean. He never said he would appoint thousands of workers to clean your surroundings.

Can you please tell me what is effort in keeping your surroundings clean. What is your participation in curbing corruption?

Last edited: Nov 10, 2016