1. U.S. Elementary Education : What Parents Need to Know
    Dismiss Notice

Does taking Vitamin D2 50,000 units once a week cause any side effects?

Discussion in 'General Discussions - USA & Canada' started by abc00, Feb 18, 2012.

1. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

Vitamin D is hard to get enough of in North America due to the latitude. Even white skinned people have troublw (whites abosorb more from the sun) so if you are little darker it is even worse. Since you are under a doctor's care seems you should follow his/her advice. Some vitamins like the B vitamins you cannot overdose as you excrete the excess. Some you have to be careful of like Vit A.

2. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Thanks for your reply mullai. It helps.

3. shams86

shams86 Bronze IL'ite

no side effects for me..Dr prescribed the same dosage to me too..I am fine ..

4. abc00

abc00 Gold IL'ite

Hi all,

Just wanted to update here. Today i took my first dose of medicine and i did not have any side effects. I felt slight cramp in stomach (very negligible) and it could be psychological too.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It really gave me courage.

5. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

When I was pregnant with my second kid,my doctor prescribed the same of dose that you mentioned.I took it throughout my pregnancy and he tested later.It was normal.

Don't worry.

6. navs23

navs23 Platinum IL'ite

Answering to the question if vitamin d is available in vegetarian source, milk, orange juice, cheese cereals, bread, everything is fortified with vitamin d these days, due to the lack of abundant sunshine(the main source of vitamin d) here. You can also supplement vitamin d naturally by using health mixes like Ovaltine, Horlicks. How much of the vitamin d can be really obsorbed by your body depends on the source and various other factors.
    If you're unsure, get a second opinion. I am not sure about other symptoms, but excess vitamin D in supplement form(multi vitamins etc) is known to cause kidney stones, so keep your water intake adequate when you take the supplement.

7. Arushe

Arushe New IL'ite

Hi ladies
    I am also tested with vit d 25 low 12
    And prescribed d50 000 once a week for 12 weeks
    Did you all find any remedy after taking that