Does Saw Palmetto Affect Fetus If Taken During Early Pregnancy?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by Sophiebaggio, Jan 3, 2019.

1. Sophiebaggio

Sophiebaggio Senior IL'ite

My dermatologist prescribed a tablet that also contains Saw palmetto 320 mg.I took it everyday till 12 days post ovulation.I informed her that I am on fertility treatment and she told me it has no effect on ttc or pregnancy but when I googled I saw that Saw palmetto can affect the development of male genetalia(if the foetus is a male) since it suppresses testosterone.I got pregnant this cycle and now this worries me like hell!! I only took it till 12 dpo.Can someone give me some advice!!If I talk to my doctor about this she would scold me for googling my doubts.She is obviously going to say it wont be a problem..But I am worried!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2019

2. ashima10

ashima10 Platinum IL'ite

See if the doctor has prescribed the medicine despite knowing you were on fertility treatment its fne to go.there are millions things on internet.( mostly sad )

Please let your gynae know about this.hope you get the assurance.

Sophiebaggio likes this.
  3. Sophiebaggio

Thanks for being positive! I have already told my gynae and she doesn't seem worried

4. pavitra177

pavitra177 Senior IL'ite

I am sure you have nothing to worry..you anyways stopped the medicine 12dpo.. So don't think it would have affected the baby. Good luck and take care

Sophiebaggio likes this.
  5. Sophiebaggio

Thanks!

6. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Saw palmetto appears to be contraindicated during pregnancy from what I have read. Since you have stopped it so early there will be no adverse effects. Always independently verify any herbs and supplements that are prescribed to you while pregnant and don't be afraid to ask questions and get second opinions. You should not feel uncomfortable about what you are taking.

Sophiebaggio likes this.
  7. Sophiebaggio

Yes, I wonder how both the dermatologist and gynaecologist did not know about the effects of Saw palmetto during pregnancy. Fortunately, I googled and saw many pages saying it is contraindicated and immediately stopped taking it. Aren't the doctors supposed to know all this..And many doctors advise not to google !! And they don't like patients who ask cross questions!