1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Relationship Between Sisters Change After Marriage?

Discussion in 'Parents & Siblings' started by Thethinker, Feb 4, 2017.

1. Thethinker

Thethinker New IL'ite

Hello indusladies, me and my elder sister used to have close relationship before our marriage. Hours of talking in the phone everyday. Eventhough I am far from family in another country, my sister always made me feel nice. Now we both are married and busy with our lives. I sure miss talking to her and i have more time than her. We hardly talk on the phone and I am the one who is always excited to talk to her and she always seems less interested. Mine is a love marriage. Few days ago I had told her that my DH is getting me a gift which is little expensive. My DH family isn't very rich and we had made our wedding very simple, minimal jewelry, minimal expense. I had advised my DH to make the wedding simple as possible so that we won't have to worry about paying debts after wedding.After I told my sister about the gift she just told me wow thats expensive. My DH is a smart hardworking guy and these days doing good for himself so he decided to buy this gift for me. I took a pic of the gift since it was very special to me and send it to her and she sent me pic of her wearing a nice dress which I assume was bought to her by her husband without saying anything abt my gift. This kept me thinking. Many times she has sent me pics of gifts by her husband, holidays, house functions etc and I always compliment her. They have good financial condition and spend without worrying. I feel very good for her when she is enjoying her life. I don't understand why she did not react about my gift. This must be a silly reason to stress about but I got a feeling that I should not have shared this news with her as I felt she wasn't happy abt it.I was looking for suggestions who have siblings and how they interact with each other? After marriage does the closeness stays the same or we need to put limitation on what we share with each other?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017

2. maddysweet

maddysweet Silver IL'ite

Dear Op,
    How was ur sis before marriage. Did she feel happy for ur achievements?
    she used to compliement u?
    May be she was little competetive from childhood but u didnt understand.

I have a elder sister. My sister feels competitive and i realized it very late. She feels very sad if any relative praises me and not her, or my husband and not her hubby.
    When i recollected she was infact same from childhood. However we talk and help eachother a lot.

Dont worry and stress. Just keep talking to ur sis.

3. Nonya

Nonya Platinum IL'ite

After marriage, your experiences increase. And you decide not to share the details of many of those experiences with others. This is especially true of what happens between you and your husband.

sindmani likes this.
  4. Shreema86

Shreema86 Platinum IL'ite

I
    Have a feeling that your sister is not very happy in her marriage.. op, for some people its not the gift that matters but the thought behind the gift. Maybe seeing this affectionate gesture of her husband reminded her of the lack of that in her marriage... there are sisters who are competitive , but the fact that you were close before marriage tells me that this is not the case here... clearly something amiss in your sisters life.. next time ask her if she is happy.

sindmani likes this.