Does name Jiya sounds like Muslim name?

Discussion in 'Baby Names & Birth Announcements' started by mogali, Feb 4, 2013.

1. mogali

mogali New IL'ite

We are considering name Jiya for our newborn daughter. Does is sound like Muslim name? Would you consider it for Hindu girl?

2. mogali

mogali New IL'ite

Thanks Darshanam2012 for quick reply.. Lets see what others say..

Our elder girl is named Richa and we are looking for suitable name to go along with. We are also considering name Riya for newborn. Does name Riya goes well with name Richa or should Riya be avoided being similar names?

Last edited: Feb 4, 2013
  3. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

Jiya is a very pretty name. It means heart. I think it is a hindi and not Urdu name. Im not sure if it is universally appealing but I like it.

4. mogali

mogali New IL'ite

Thanks for the reply. Few websites mention it as Urdu origin for Jiya, that's why I got confused and started this thread.. Other websites do mention it as Indian or Hindi origin...

5. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

i like jiya very pretty name ... whats wrong been sounded hindu or muslim :(... why seperate them together we are one indian not hindu indian or muslim indian or christian indian ...

6 people like this.
  6. rose8282

rose8282 Platinum IL'ite

blessbabydust, Nothing wrong...but personally if parents are hindu and want a hindu name...its their choice. Have you seen Muslims naming their child Krishna or any other hindu name? They dont, because in Urdu, the names have their own beautiful meanings and they want something that is traditional to them. Similarly, if she wants a hindu name to have something traditionally hindu, there is nothing wrong.
    Why single out only Christian Indians,muslims indians etc...Even Americans choose English or biblical names, Russians choose russian names etc. Here and there people go beyond into other cultures to find a unique name...but the essence of choosing a name is to be a part of your culture.

6 people like this.
  7. mogali

mogali New IL'ite

Blessbabduest - I understand your point and I agree with that... Yes, Jiya is very pretty name and thats why we are considering it. My point is if it does really sound like Muslim name then people might think she is Muslim by just reading or knowing her name...

Rose8282 - Exactly my thoughts...

While considering name Jiya, I'm open to other name suggestion as well to go along with Richa... Can someone please tell how does Riya sounds? too similar names?

8. arch1209

arch1209 Platinum IL'ite

Just saying - My parents named me Archana - I was given this name while I was baptized. I am Catholic my family is Catholic. My dad chose this name because he really liked what it meant and he said Archana is Archana, whether it be done to a Hindu God or to a Muslim or Christian God....People do ask me always though if I am Hindu or if my parents had a love marriage and I am never offended by it, in fact it is an interesting conversation starter and I think it is cute - adds a mysterious quality to my name. Also I have a Catholic last name and a Hindu first name - which is very unique :)
    That being said, naming your baby should be your choice. I have three friends who are named Jiya and they are all Hindus....I think its a lovely name!

2 people like this.
  9. seethavarma

seethavarma Gold IL'ite

I remember hearing names like saraswathi mathew,vidya thomas, diya varghese,remya john....and so many in my college days,well what was wrrrrrrong with their parents,dontknow:),may be they had that broadmindedness which many cannot digest!

My friends daughter is sana-they are hindus

10. blessbabydust

blessbabydust IL Hall of Fame

i totally disagree with rose .. because muslims too keep name like Raja,chellakannu etc which are not muslim(arabic) name and totally agree with seethavarma many have broadmindness to accept other cultures name . We should impact out children with religious difference we should teach the goodness of the religion and teach to accept other cultures goodness too .

1 person likes this.