1. Have an Interesting Snippet to Share : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does Money Give You Happiness

Discussion in 'Snippets of Life (Non-Fiction)' started by Kamalji, Dec 16, 2015.

1. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Does Money Give You Happiness

Todays papers were all about the Draft Auction of IPL 9. Dhoni went for 12.50 crores, the lowest chaos went for 4 crores.

Now this is all for one season of 2 months, not for the whole year, or for your lifetime. Look at the ordinary citizens like you and me. We earn money, and pay taxes, spend on family, and how much can u save per month ? Then there are marriages of children and siblings to spend on, the home, illnesses, insurances and all that, and how much is there in yr kitty when u retire at 60 years of age?

Let us say, a person has retired from bank, at age 60, the bank gives him say 40 lakhs, and a monthly pension of say 40,000/- and he has saved say 50 lakhs over the years.

So the chap has a crore in the bank, a house, and a monthly pension of 40000/-. That is it.

Now look at the IPL players indian and Foreign chaps. For 2 months job, tthey get 4 crores to 12 crores, and if these players play a minimum of 5 IPL’s, they get say 20 crores to 60 crores.

All this even before they are 40 years old, besides the endorsements and other earnings.

They should never be poor ever, and be always happy, correct? For even if they live a lavish life, and spend 2 lakhs a month, the money will last a few generations. It can never end, because u are spending a [part of the interest received, the principa is safe.

But that is not always the case. Look at the case of Bhagwan Dada, the hero of the fifties. He had a 25 room bunglow sea facing in mumbai, 7 imported cars, one for each day of the week, and he died in penury, in a chaowl, drinking local country booze, and later working as an extra in movies.

Rajesh Khanna was to have his bunglow auctioned, till his son in law stepped in and saved him.

I just hope this kind of windfall does not bring in bad habits like Gambling, wine and women, affairs, and costly divorces, which can ruin u. Money is hot to handle, and it said that today it is yours tomorrow it is the neigbours. Hard to hold on to.

I don’t envy the cricketers, each has their own luck and destiny.All I wish that they remain happy and keep their heads on their shoulders, and make sure all in the family are healthy and happy. And to take care of their coaches, who made them what they are, who are hand to mouth now. And to take care of fellow cricketers, who unfortunately fall on bad days.

Good luck Guys.

KAMAL MAHTANI

Outside the court,

Salman's car was surrounded by media and not letting him go...
    So he got into the driver's seat
    and everyone ran away...

दो समधी ड्रिंक करने बैठे
    1- कितना पानी डालूँ?
    2- नीट
    1- क्यों ?
    2- हमारे यहाँ लड़की के घर का पानी नहीं पीते हैं
    ये होते हैं संस्कार

This is ultimate—

Yamraj to Santa: "Tumhari koi
    aakhri khwaish hai !!
    Santa -"I want to see Manmohan Singh speaking with Salman Khan's wife at Narendra Modi's wedding.
    Yamraj died....!

Employee: sir I have not linked my account to Aadhar. But I still got gas subsidy.
    HR department: that's not the gas subsidy. That's your increment!!

Guys start planning your new year resolutions. ...maine to plan kar liya..
    My resolution......
    Heads aaya toh Beer ...
    Tails aaya toh Vodka ...
    Jameen pe gira toh Rum....
    Aur hawaa mein hi raha toh Maa Kasam ....
    31st se Daaru ekdum bandh...

पत्नी: मैं तुम्हारी याद में 15 दिन में आधी हो गई हूं। मुझे कब लेने आ रहे हो ?
    पति: 15 दिन बाद……

आदमी इतना रहमदिल होता...
    उसे 40 साल की आँटी भी माल लगती है ...
    लडकिया इतनी मादरचोद होती है..
    उन्हें 30 साल का लड़का भी अंकल लग

6 people like this.

2. vaidehi71

vaidehi71 IL Hall of Fame

Sir,

This is another one of your thought provoking thread..

To the question of your snippet..Yes to some extent money is essential for the survival in this world and as a result will give you happiness. But does it alone give happiness..then my answer would be a no..

Health is wealth..So a healthy individual even if earning modestly is the one who would be happier than the money..However, money is still required to live in a modest way as it does help to improve the socio-economic status and there by help prevent the poverty related illnesses..

So it is a necessity for every individual..However the question as you have raised whether that is required in the way cricketers and other media people are earning in India is debatable..Actually I find that only few of those who are earning like that are socially helpful..Infact I am not much aware of how many are helping the society in India..Since I am also not following any Indian news I might be ignorant in that aspect..But definitely in a country where poverty related issues are seen everywhere and where the government is corrupt, with millionaires like the ones you have told on the rise, it would be really nice to see some change in the mindset of those rich people, to turn a part of their fortune for the well being of the society and community. If that happens then I don't mind their blessing from God to earn more in this world..

So I just wish they turn their attention on the unfortunate souls and help them..

Regards,
    Vaidehi

3 people like this.
  3. surekhap

surekhap Platinum IL'ite

@Kamalji great say

"It is harder to spend money wisely than to earn."

Cricketers, film starts, pope singers they earn money easily but send too lavishly and end up in debts.

The great example will be Micheal Jackson who is a billionaire who was proved to be full of debts after his deaths. He was a bit fine enjoyed all his life. But many people led miserable life in the end of their life due to their habits developed from the large amount of money they earned

"saavithri" the famous south Indian heroine who earned good at times spent all the money by giving away for those who asked with out any count after her carrier is over she was hardly left with very little amount of money. All the film chamber members have to raise chanda to perform her death rituals. News was that she had to discontinue her treatment because of no money.

2 people like this.
  4. Balajee

Balajee IL Hall of Fame

Too much money means too much taxes, too much tension, BP, Diabetes ulcers and heart troubles. One should not have more money than one can live with comfortably.,

5. shyamala1234

shyamala1234 Platinum IL'ite

Dear Kamalji,
    Absolutely. Money is needed. But it has to be taken care of properly, plan in a wise way, not get into bad habits. In cricket there is an unwritten understanding that better batsman has to take care of the weaker one. That rule applies in every walk of life...fellow beings who are in need of help should be helped.
    Syamala

6. Viswamitra

Viswamitra Finest Post Winner

Dear Kamalji,

A very nice post. My life taught me how important money is even though I was raised differently at the young age. We all learn this lesson one way or another at some stage in life. Some of the cricketers are highest tax payees in some years due to endorsement and cricket related revenues. I wish they have the heart to help their coaches and fellow cricketers. In the US, most players association has set up a fund to look after those players after certain age. If they loose all their windfall, they will at least have something to sustain their lives.

Earning money is a different skills than sustaining it and most fail in the second skill. For many, success gets to their head and venture into number of things and eventually losing all their fortune. I have seen too many of such cases in the US. For someone who have made wealth should know how to grow it and not even keep it in tact. That is the only way the lifestyle would remain the same.

Viswa

7. Srama

Srama Finest Post Winner

That is what I hear Kamalji - that money does give happiness. Being able to have a comfortable life is a blessing. I am of the opinion that when all that money is put to good use, it gives happiness, truly. My pet peeve has always been that it is ridiculous how much money the actors and the cricketers make and I have always wondered about the power they hold in making a difference to the society with their money and if they even do anything. I am not judging and I am sure there are many who are making a difference.

Incidentally I was listening to this program just this morning Free Music Lessons Strike A Chord For At-Risk Kids : NPR - I think it is the heart that makes one happy.

8. Agatha83

Agatha83 IL Hall of Fame

Dear Kamlji,

After the rain deluge in Chennai There was this post by a techie in a newspaper in which he said that inspite of his his crores in the banks , bunch of credit cards, in fact nothing could help him to satiate his hunger and thirst. Not all of us are cricketers or bank employees who earn lakhs and crores by the way of pension. All the hard earned money put in FDs through which we earn interest is hardly enough to sustain ourselves.Our servant maid has to slug it out working in ten houses to earn a reasonable income. There are very few rich people who take up to charity by helping out people in need.By helping others in need, one can achieve true happiness!

9. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Vaidehi,

Thanks for yr first FB, and agreat one.

Yes money is necessary for material comforts, but so much money will surely bring in other vices, and give one a massive ego also.i think the more money one gets, the more one wants more, and not share with others, even family members.

Regards

kamal

QUOTE=vaidehi71;3657456]Sir,

This is another one of your thought provoking thread..

To the question of your snippet..Yes to some extent money is essential for the survival in this world and as a result will give you happiness. But does it alone give happiness..then my answer would be a no..

Health is wealth..So a healthy individual even if earning modestly is the one who would be happier than the money..However, money is still required to live in a modest way as it does help to improve the socio-economic status and there by help prevent the poverty related illnesses..

So it is a necessity for every individual..However the question as you have raised whether that is required in the way cricketers and other media people are earning in India is debatable..Actually I find that only few of those who are earning like that are socially helpful..Infact I am not much aware of how many are helping the society in India..Since I am also not following any Indian news I might be ignorant in that aspect..But definitely in a country where poverty related issues are seen everywhere and where the government is corrupt, with millionaires like the ones you have told on the rise, it would be really nice to see some change in the mindset of those rich people, to turn a part of their fortune for the well being of the society and community. If that happens then I don't mind their blessing from God to earn more in this world..

So I just wish they turn their attention on the unfortunate souls and help them..

Regards,
    Vaidehi[/QUOTE]

1 person likes this.
  10. Kamalji

Kamalji IL Hall of Fame

Dear Surekha,

Yes rightly said, that they spend lavishly.Micheal jackson, is correct, so is Mike Tyson, who they say earned close to 300 million US dollors, but in the end was in debt, and now works in a club, where he poses with guests for a photo for a small fee.What a fall.
    Savitri i was not aware of, but so sad, to have no money for treatment, as for cremation.
    We just hope these follows invest well, and have plenty of money for themselves and others in need.

Regards

kamal

1 person likes this.