Does money buy happiness?

Discussion in 'General Discussions' started by Spiderman1, Jan 16, 2011.

1. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Does money buy happiness?

The reason for the question is -
    I see so many threads where there are hidden prioritizations - and money seems to be a #1 priority over relationships. And, sometimes it baffles me.

Also - several articles state that Finance is the one of the top (infact, some say its the #1 reason) for fights in a relationship. I dont know how true that is, but this is a popularly written about feature.

Do you think you would be happier with more money? [granted, everyone is happier if they get money, but the hidden implication here is there are tradeoffs, since money does not grow on trees]
    Would you make other tradeoffs in relationships in order to get richer?
    Does richer = happier? What do the ILs think? Will more money mean less problems in your relationships?

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011

2. ars

ars Platinum IL'ite

Not happiness i think money definetly gives peace of mind.

3. lovers

lovers Senior IL'ite

i don't agree with this .....
    Money is important in day to day life or rather in a relation ship ... it makes them stable enough financially strong .....but it doesn't mean the relation ship holds good if money is there ............
    its again based on 2 individuals how they r dealing with the issue ......

4. tashidelek2002

tashidelek2002 IL Hall of Fame

I don't think the amount of money is the real issue...I think it is to have compatible attitudes/values about money. You can have two happy crooks or two happy misers but the marriage of the grasshopper and the ant can be trouble.

5. Padmini

Padmini IL Hall of Fame

Dear spiderman
    I am the regular reader of your post. They have created a lots of impact in me. In this wonderful post you have raised a wonderful question very much needed for today.
    This often quoted phrase is so overused and jaded that even though we know that it is true, we tend to ignore it. We want to believe that there is an easy way out of being unhappy and believe me overcoming your emotions and teaching yourself to be happy can be more difficult that earning some bucks! There is a lot of depth behind this statement. A penniless child drenched in the rain can be happy at the prospect of a real shower after days of scorching heat while a rich man may view the same rain from his window reminiscing why he had lost his lady love. The idea is to understand that happiness cannot be achieved by anything external irrespective of whether it is money or any other material things. Happiness is something that is inside of you and not outside, and accessing it just requires a little bit of training.
    Of course money IS important to help us live our life to the fullest. But at the same time, an increase in its inflow does not bring proportional happiness with it. You need to be aware of this.A long feedback

with love
    pad

6. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

ars and lovers,
    I agree with what you are saying.

Tina -
    Very interesting point on the grasshopper and the ant :)
    While compatibility is certainly an important aspect, what do you think about the viewpoint that people hold? Are people able to balance their needs for material and emotional aspects? Do you think an incessant urge towards one has people making the wrong tradeoff at times?

7. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Padmini,
    Thanks for your appreciation, and also thanks for the information that you have provided in your post. I also read a lot of your posts and I enjoy a lot of the witty and stylish posts that you write. :thumbsup

Also, I enjoy the gossip/rumor thread in Movies forum as well :)

You are entirely correct, and my viewpoint is the same as what you are communicating here.

And, BTW - when I mention relationships here - it is not just that between a hubby and wife, it also relates to others, how one views friends, how one allows freedom for the kids. Do parents allow kids freedom to choose what they want to do in their life, or do they force them into Engg/Medicine because of monetary reasons...many such things.

Overall, if people start valuing relationships more than money, that will be a good start.

Looking forward to more people participating in this discussion.

8. peartree

peartree Platinum IL'ite

Well... IMO... having more and more of it won't certainly increase happiness, but having none of it would definitely cause a lot of sorrow!!

9. Spiderman1

Spiderman1 Gold IL'ite

Though PT - if you leave aside the extreme case of 'none', it is sometimes humbling to see those we consider poor are happy and also helpful. Whereas the richer brethern, are wallowing in self-pity. I've seen that in some people, and I'm sure its not the first or last of those types of situations.

10. SriVidya75

SriVidya75 Platinum IL'ite

I guess the threads were about finances in a relationship.....not about how less/more money a husband/wife make...the threads were more on who makes financial decisions, his money my money our money kind of questions....most of the threads were about how wives are kept out of loop about financial decisions/expenses/savings or have no say at home inspite of some of the wifes working....some wifes work but they dont get to have any say in what they want to do with their pay...as the husband/inlaws decide what has to be done...Last but not least...there are threads about how money is most imp. for someof the inlaws and how the DIL is treated like a money minting machine...we have also seen threads where women wont let their husbands help his parents...and want to have a control over money....MOST of the issues are about who controls finances...as people treat finances as power. The priority was about...not being able to equally have a say in financial decisions....the priority was not about having less/more money.

I have not seen a thread where a wife/husband said his/her spouse earns less money and they have a problem with it....

To answer your question.....

Money May not Buy Happiness...But LOVE / TRUST/Understanding in a marriage wont go far enough in this materialistic world..without atleast some kind of financial stability /agreement on finances b/w the couples at home.