Does Metformin slows the baby growth ?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy & Labor' started by Peetha, Jun 1, 2012.

1. Peetha

Peetha New IL'ite

Hi All,
    I am 20 wks pregnant, i have been diagnosed with gestational diabetes at 17wks. MyOB prescribed Metformin HCL 2000 mg/day and asked meto go on low carb high protein diet.

Ever since I started these pills and diet the fetus growth had slowed down drastically. OB did an ultrasound at 20wks and said fetus has grown only one week over a period of three weeks and said she was concern about placenta functioning.

We are devastated, as anyone been in this situation. does Metformin or low carb diet can be the reason for slow growth rate??

Please help
    Just to add more details, we have been put on Levonox injections from 20th wk

2. SuccessMinded

SuccessMinded Gold IL'ite

Personally, I don't think Metformin can delay growth. I am on metformin and am in my 16th week. My doctor who is very experienced, recommends high doses to PCOD women till atleast 7th month and then may increase or decrease base on GTT results.

However, I hope and pray that all goes well with the baby. My prayers are with you.

3. sitharaj

sitharaj Gold IL'ite

I was on Metformin till my 12th week (becoz of PCOD) and i believe metformin as such poses no such issues (that is in terms of the growth)- it mainly helps corrects the insulin levels and so the hormonal balance is optimum to aid baby's growth.

I had a few days a difference (that is a lag) in baby's growth in the my second trimester but baby managed to catch up by the time i got into the third trimester...

Well from my side what i was doing is- i doubled my milk intake (on my doc's advise) and was taking 10 almonds daily, and eggs thrice a week. I have read that almonds are the best form of proteins that the baby can use for growth. And since eggs, almonds and milk wudnt affect your sugar levels- do try having these, and if you are- then increase the dose..

I have also read that babies grow differntly in the uterus- sometimes they are weeks ahead and sometimes a bit behind. What does your gynec have to say on this?

I feel there isnt much to worry about (but we really cannt stop ourselves)- do speak to your doc about IUGR (which i dont think is a chance), about prescribing you protein supplements- i feel you and baby are just fine