1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does kids love their grandparents more than their parents

Discussion in 'Relationship With In-Laws' started by Stressfull, Jul 2, 2015.

1. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

Dear ILs,

coming to the topic I had a 6 yr old son. I was staying abroad. my inlaws recently left to home town. yesterday I was causually talking to my son, he said he loves his grandmother more than me, I asked normally why, he was saying u will always scold me, she pampers me a lot, that's y I like her. I was hurt. I don't know whether im overreacting, not able to take it.

I just wanted to know is it common for children to love their grandparents more. I wanted to mention she never did anything to my child so far. But she talks very sweetly with him.

2. yellowmango

yellowmango IL Hall of Fame

OP...at this age ,it is normal for children to talk like this. They like people who pamper and don't scold.Grand parents ,specially ones who only visit and don't live permanently with them tend to be extra sweet and pampering.It is natural.

Children ,when young tend to also favor the lenient parent .If mother takes on the responsibility of being the one to make them eat or study,then the father who only plays with them becomes the favorite.If the father is strict ,then the mother becomes the favorite.

As a parent,we have to do what needs to be done. If they need to be told to do things,so be it.It they need hugs ,so be it. What you can do is make food and studies interesting for the child. Don't worry....your child will love you for being a strong good parent .

5 people like this.
  3. bhagya85

bhagya85 Silver IL'ite

Ya true!!! they love people who pamaper them and say 'yes ' to all their wishes.I understand tat it sometimes hurts us though we understand tat its jus a kiddy's talk.:|

1 person likes this.
  4. SukanyaB

SukanyaB Senior IL'ite

Its just a phase. It's natural for kids to prefer the one who pampers them. Have faith in your parenting style. Once your kids grow up as strong, responsible individuals, they will thank you for what you have done for them.

2 people like this.
  5. CrayoNess

CrayoNess Platinum IL'ite

Grandparents have the right and privilege to spoil and pamper their grandchildren but children are very closely attached to their parents. You should not even compare these relations. Parents have the responsibility to raise the children.

1 person likes this.
  6. coolgal123

coolgal123 Platinum IL'ite

Kids luv their grandparents for their pampering and spoiling...and they have a special place in kids hearts....
    but surely kids dont luv then more than their parents....even kids say this tht they luv their grandma more becoz u scold me while she doesnt...its kind of sweet complain frm their side....they dont actually mean it....even at this age ur son will luv n prefer u more with all of ur scoldings n strictness....

1 person likes this.
  7. LotusAura

LotusAura Gold IL'ite

OP kids do love their grandparents dearly. But that does not undermine their strong love of the parents. Parents are parents. In your case, this is likely a temporary phase as you live overseas and your child will by default have very limited direct personal interaction with them. So even though he may miss them terribly when they return to India, but will get back to his normal self soon after.

However this may not be the case with kids who live in joint families with their grandparents. They tend to be comparatively much more attached to their grandparents because of their direct presence & influence in the child's daily life.
    Also, it's not a simple or trivial thing as kids becoming fond of anyone offering candies and hugs. Love for grandparents runs a lot deeper than that; there's a blood-bond they share which is undeniable.

1 person likes this.
  8. Stressfull

Stressfull Silver IL'ite

dear ladies,
    thank u all, I was a bit hurt and insecure. But now im feeling relieved. Not that I don't want my kid to love his grandparents but I was hurt at the moments. No matter at the end of the day he will be my son. thank u all.

9. previ

previ Senior IL'ite

Of course you are overreacting! When I was a kid, even I openly told my parents that I loved my grandparents more than them! :)
    Grandparents are meant to spoil their grandkids silly! They are meant to do all the stuff they couldn't do with their kids. Even my kid says that especially if he has recently returned after staying with them. But after a few days, he's back to normal and professing his undying love for me! :rotfl
    Chill gal! Its perfectly normal behavior on your kid's part.

10. DKI

DKI Platinum IL'ite

It's just a phase. But I am sure that in your heart you know very well that you are #1 in his life. My son would sometimes say "I don't like you... you are mean" when I was strict with him. My response would be "too bad, you are stuck with me as your mom" It always helped to diffuse the situation immediately.