Does It Make Sense To Visit India Before Starting New Job

Discussion in 'Working Women' started by sanjuruby3, Sep 7, 2016.

1. sanjuruby3

sanjuruby3 Platinum IL'ite

I have many other similar threads before and some might know the background. I lost my job and trying to find new. Now that I am close to one, I am thinking if it is right to negotiate the start date and visit india.
    Thing is I recently told my parents about job loss and they are restless now. Father, being father at one point told to come here for couple months. I have 1 job oppurtunity but not ideal for me but I will have to answer them soon. I am in dilemma.

~ Should I say no, wait and keep trying for other places? I am tired for that. Also with that unemployment gap increases, and gets difficult to negotiate for salary or anything.
    ~ Or say 'yes' , take small break before joining.
    ~ Or ask for 4 weeks delay to start and visit india?
    ~ I want to go and see them but its not easy to travel to India with 2 yrs old. She will not adjust then I have some nerve condition so can not carry things But also US is not doing me any good. I feel depressed everyday. Every recruiter call just scares me now. I just do not want to interview anymore.

anika987 likes this.

2. Gaiya3

Gaiya3 Gold IL'ite

See if you can negotiate the start date travel home, feel rejuvenated and come back to start ur new job! Good luck!

3. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

My husband went through a job loss and was at home for 4 months..now all is good.
    INDIA TRIP CAN WAIT.Even if you go to India,you will be uneasy and infact may feel guilty about the trip.No one can be happy.

your parents will feel relaxed to know you have a job very soon.Do not negotiate the start date.get the job and after few months,take a week or so and visit your family or bring them here.
    Your job may not be ideal but you need one right now.Keep looking for another job one the side and leave this current one,once you get a better opportunity.I know some guys who got the job and suddenly they said project cancelled.jobs are not that easy to find so please DO NOT TAKE ANY RISK NOW.
    Relax and I feel your pain.Been there. However, all will be well soon.time to be strong.you will be alright.
    Good luck.

Gayathri30 and blindpup10 like this.
  4. aamrapali

aamrapali Gold IL'ite

Depends on your line of work, age, finances, family situation back in India, etc.

If you are in a good line of work where jobs are plenty, you have good marketable skills, your home does not depend on your income to a significant extent, your husband also pulls the weight, your parents are old or sick or you have other family (grandparents) whom you may not see again.....

prioritize based on above. Jobs will always be there - will come and go - some personal sacrifices one makes for a career may not be worth it afterall in the big picture if you have family you love and may not see them again.

If both options do not work, find a job and negotiate a delayed start date. I have done all of these and no regrets for me. I found a job with a delayed start date as well as spent time with elderly family in between jobs.

5. sanjuruby3

Thanks girls.
    It is difficult to find another job now for me for all the reasons.
    I am exhausted of job search. I do not have child care ( baby sitter any more) so all is on me. I can not find job in US from India or do any talking as many would recruiters will not even talk knowing I am in India.
    So I am really inclined to take this not-so-ideal and not-per-my-profile job and then think. My heart aches when I talk to parents, you know why.
    Also once in new job, I will not get any vacation for a year easily.
    If it was near or somewhere in India, I would have gone to parents, atleast enjoying that time with parents or my LO could have enjoyed grandparents. My parents are restless and worried. Even that I have this job, it is big commute and they are worried worried worried and asking to wait as I will not be able to manage with kid.

I never had that difficulty finding job when I was less experienced. Seriously. .. I am not even looking for managerial jobs where only 1 person is needed for the team. Now that I talk well, understand accents better and have more stars (skills) on my resume, I am expected to know every skill 100% and unmentioned skills too.

anika987 likes this.
  6. anika987

anika987 IL Hall of Fame

As another IL pointed out,just out of curiosity why this dire need to be in a job right away..I mean if you are financially well off or if hubby is ok with you being home for sometime,you can take a break

if you are very career oriented and scared to lose job then go for the job
    Prioritize.good luck

7. kcb

kcb IL Hall of Fame

Better to take up this job, If you are really in need of job and not getting many suitable opportunities for your profile. After few months, you can start looking for other better jobs. Also you can invite your parents to US if you cannot get any off from your work to visit India.

anika987 likes this.
  8. sanjuruby3

Well, I do need the break and my health does. My H can take care of bills. Problem is uncertainty. Also increasing gap. Recruiters ask how much gap is there. Also it is difficult to sit/relax at home and having constant worry to find a job.
    It is not that I have mental system ready that I would look for jobs after 1 yr. So for 1 yr i will not worry about anything else other than child care. I am on forced break. I want it, need it, keep telling myself and H that its okay if i do not get job as I want to relax but also keep worrying. I want to start some yoga or gym membership but with this uncertainty of job I am not doing anything. I should have done it 4 months ago.
    Career Oriented - No, not any more. After becoming mom, I am just child oriented :) and proud of that.

When it happened, I was relaxed in a way as this job was eating me. So I thought I will start gyming, yoga/dance/swimming classes or learn new skills etc but slowly lost motivation.
    With 1000 useless recruiter calls in a day, I also was not able to find time to learn new skill, forget gym. Now with no baby sitter and super active toddler, I have no time.

Back to original post, I think I will start the same job. Lets see about start date. There are times in a day, I feel real depressed and to be close to my parents. But other times, I am okay here in US.

But IL is always been a big support. I do not know what I will do if ever..ever...god forbid, IL shuts down.:anguished::anguished: