Does hypothyroidism have any effect on getting pregnant?

Discussion in 'Fertility & Trying to Conceive' started by umaramani, Feb 29, 2008.

1. ramyav_cse

ramyav_cse Gold IL'ite

Re: Thyroid and fertility issues

Thanks Manju for the link...Gud that it was detected now...
    My Ob/Gyn asked me to take all the harmone tests when I went to her for irregular periods...she called me today to tell me that except for TSH everything else was normal n has asked me to collect the prescription from her office. Wl be collecting it tomorrow...I dont remember the name of the medicine but she said it was Eltroxin equivalent in the US(She is Indian too) and said she has prescribed 50 mcg and told me that we can test again after 3 months...

2. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

thyroid problem...pl help

Hi all,
    I am trying to concive and visited doctor for same...she had put me on clomid challenge test.2days before i finished taking clomid and yesterday was my 10th day ultrasound and she told i have got 4 follicles..which is good...but she also told me about my thyroid problem and gave me thyroid tablets for 30 days.The name is levothyroxine.she asked me to continue the pre-natals too.....and we will be trying for baby this month also....
    My question is .....Is thyroid not a problem if trying for baby as doctor told me to take the tablets and see and also they will be doing the IUI which is done to concive baby(as she left the option on us if we want iui or want to do the timed intercourse ourself...but we choose to go for iui..
    I want to know is getting pregant not harmful if thyroid problem has occured and wait for sometime...or it goes side-by-side...
    And is the chances of getting preganant low this month if thyroid is there.

3. Manaswini08

Manaswini08 Bronze IL'ite

Re: thyroid problem...pl help

After having my first child, I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism (taking levothyroxine) and also told by my doc that it will be hard to conceive because of this. But I took clomid to get pregnant the second time and it worked. You can and should take your thyroid meds everyday...otherwise other problems will occur. It will not harm the baby or yourself. Good luck on getting pregnant and relax....if you are too stressed over this you will find it harder to become pregnant.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2009
  4. manjulats

manjulats Silver IL'ite

Levothyroxine will not affect the rate of getting pregnant.In fact if you have a thryoid problem you should take that medicine to produce the TSH hormone.

There is no harm in taking levothyroxine before and during your pregnancy.In fact if you get pregnant some doctors do increase the dosage as it tends to fluctuate during each trisemester.So it is necessary to monitor the thyroid if you get pregnant.

Problems may occur if you are not taking this medicine.

I myself experienced this.Good luck and take care

Last edited: Jan 28, 2009
  5. Vasumathy

Vasumathy Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Hi Kads,
    Welcome to this forum! All the very best for conceiving!
    Take good care on Thyroid problem since they have influence on conception. Eat healthy.

How long are you TTC? How is your infertility treatments? Have you tried Clomid with injectables?
    All the best to ur treatments. Take care.

6. Priya_Mommy

Priya_Mommy Gold IL'ite

HI Kads,
    Welcome to this Forum!!
    I think once you go through this forum, I think you will find lots of our IL's who are aspiring to concieve.
    My suggestion is Thyroid is not a major problem and it will be rectified with a treat for couple of months. Yes, it has influence on your fertility.
    Be positive in trying your best for concieving. Take Good nutritious food and do excersise and Yoga to keep you cool and strong.
    I think once Thyroid problem is over, you can try for a baby naturally without any IUI technique.

All the best!!

7. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

Thanks vasumathy
    We have been trying since a year .treatments results r all good.No not yet..i am on clomid only and will go for iui this month

8. kads

kads Senior IL'ite

Thanks manjula,priyas mommy.

9. venusbaby

venusbaby Guest

Kads,
    I too have hypothyroid n have been taking levothyroxine past 6 yrs...We TTC'd for 3 n more yrs.. My ob said the reason we were not been successful was because of thyroid and some other issues...So she adjusted my thyroxine med...
    Then i was put on clomid for 3 cycles..though i ovulated on all of them, we didn't end up pregnant... My RE wanted us directly go for IVF since we had no other option because my DH's morphology was also somewhat at lower side...
    We asked her if she could try us on injectibles with IUI before opting for the final... We did and Fortunately, we got pregnant on the very first try of that combo....
    I am pretty sure that thyroid though directly wont effct TTC, but indirectly it does....So having a good physical activity with atleast 5% reduction of ur body weight in thyroid would definitely help...

I would say continue ur thyroxine pills and with a positive mind go for IUI...
    Here wishing u a very good luck...

10. vibhakar

vibhakar Senior IL'ite

hypothyroidsm

I am diagnosed with hypothyroidsm and ttc from a long time but no success.

I am having missed periods, very dry skin and no vaginal mucosa. I dont have any sex drive too.
    have anyone experienced these similar conditions with hypothyroidsm.?