Does Homemade Yogurt Automatically Contain Probiotics

Discussion in 'Cuisines of India' started by ChennaiExpress, Apr 2, 2018.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Before this probiotic craze (or medical breakthrough), our families used to make yogurt at home.

We would heat milk on medium flame, and stir and stir a starter yogurt (usually a teaspoon). Then after some time we would pour in plastic Tupperware, keep in separate place for 8 hours.

Then yogurt would be ready and it would go in refrigerator.

That's what I remember from those years ago.

Does this yogurt automatically create probiotics. After all, the milk is fermented. Please advise.

knbg likes this.

2. MalStrom

MalStrom IL Hall of Fame

Yes. The probiotics are the live cultures that create the yogurt.

ChennaiExpress likes this.
  3. Gauri03

Gauri03 Moderator Staff Member IL Hall of Fame

Yes homemade yogurt does contain probiotic cultures. Most store bought yogurt does too. However the number and types of bacterial strains depends on your starter culture. Most starters contain the two primary yogurt making strains Lactobacillus bulgaricus and Streptococcus thermophilus. A good yogurt culture will also contain Lactobacillus acidophilus and Lactobacillus casei along with a few other strains of bifidobacterium. I started making yogurt at home with this culture - Yogourmet probiotic starter. It has a good mix of lactic acid making bacteria (L. Casei, B. Longum, L. Bulgaricus, S. Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus). I only used it the first time and have used the leftover yogurt as starter ever since.

Yogurts contain anywhere between 3-6 strains of probiotics. Kefir on the other hand contains up to 20 strains of bacteria and yeasts. It is very easy to make at home. Much easier than yogurt actually since it does not need the milk to be warmed up before adding the grains.

4. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

Ahhh, that is what I thought.

Wow, lot of thorough info!

First time I'm hearing about Kefir .... shall try this.