Does God Help Us Or Does He Keep Scores Based On Karma

Discussion in 'Queries on Religion & Spirituality' started by ChennaiExpress, Jul 4, 2017.

1. ChennaiExpress

ChennaiExpress IL Hall of Fame

This is why we cannot remember past lives. If we remember all our sins for past thousands of years, then how to atone for them?

2. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

God helps those who helps themselves. So our good actions , good thoughts will reap goodness and more goodness in a compound effect. The same way not good thoughts or actions will have bad consequences. Law of nature or law of karma is above every thing. As we sow we reap. But again we can really do a favour for ourselves and others by thinking good for ourselves and others, helping others (selflessly )etc. So definitely our life will change to good. Good begets good. God is our guide , our father. He has provided us life. Which itself is miracle and blessing and we have to give the best to ourselves and society and love God as our father.

3. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Even if what I said is preachy :thumbsup:, I think it has truth. We learnt many stories of lord Buddha, lord Christ, Bhaktha prahlad says good begets good.

Naari likes this.
  4. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

Excellent examples.

5. sindmani

sindmani Platinum IL'ite

It is the good thought we put on the behalf of the injured to save the person saves the victim. Thoughts have power too.

Naari likes this.
  6. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

Yes there are exceptions.
    Exceptions when God interferes with karma is when a saint prays for us. Saint is someone who is sinless and dear to God. Holy person. Spiritually highly elevated personality. For example Jesus prayed to God that those who killed him may be forgiven. God accepts those prayers. Those are true miracle.

Because of our ignorance we may think anything unexpected or surprising as miracle but they are consequences of good karma. Absolutely.

One thing is it is not easy to approach God by our prayers unless we are pure in our heart. Pure means free from sins.
    So God allows us to suffer/enjoy our fruits of karma. He is patiently waiting for us to give up our selfishness. The traditional way of approaching God is through saints/spiritual guru. One cannot approach the supreme pure directly.

7. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

If there is reincarnation, then there has to be karma too. If there is no karma, why should one take repeated births? It follows logically that to enjoy/suffer the fruits of your action in past life, you take another birth. Otherwise why is someone born blind or someone born rich or someone born intelligent? It is because of karma.

Precisely because bad things happen to good people and vice versa, you have to logically conclude there has to be karma. Otherwise what is the explanation? It will appear then that God is whimsical because He sanctions bad things to happen to good people and good things to happen to bad people.

But scriptures of all religion tell us that God is the most merciful. So He cannot be whimsical. He is allowing these things to happen according to karma.

Scriptures advise us to try to break the cycle of karma to become free from repeated birth and death

8. luckysangeetha

luckysangeetha Gold IL'ite

My view below

First we have not created god we have been created by GOD and yes karma works in every life and there will a point where the soul evolves completely and attains self realization and attains moksha

9. kalcandu

kalcandu Silver IL'ite

It is not necessary that karma of present life will be meted out in next life only. Some karmic reactions come immediately, both good and bad. For example, if A commits a murder in this life, he is punished in this life itself by corporal punishment in the form of death. Or if someone gets rich through sinful means, he gets some terminal disease. Or if someone visits a holy place and renders some seva to the holy persons there, immediately there is some relief from mental suffering.

If I know there is an exam coming up, then I have to study well and prepare well for it. IF I say, I do not know the date of the exam, so let me just enjoy and not study, that is fine. But when exam comes, those who studied, will succeed and those who didn't fail. There will always be 2 class of people: the intelligent and the not so intelligent.
    We have to choose which class we want to be in. God allows us to choose which path we want to tread.

If a person says, anyway karma I cannot correlate or it will come only in next life let me enjoy now, it is the not so intelligent class. One who is thoughtful about the consequences of his action-he is the intelligent class.

It is not so important to correlate the suffering to the sin. Intelligence is to a) accept consequence of my past sins and b)learn what are the sins and how to avoid committing them(at least the most basic sins)

Lastly we should keep in mind that karma is dynamic. It is not static. It keeps evolving as per our moment by moment actions.

10. Sandycandy

Sandycandy IL Hall of Fame

The concept of rebirth is a religious one, there is no solid scientific proof that it happens. Also like @Naari pointed out if the consequences of your past life karma are only felt in the next life when one has no recollection of the previous life, how does it even matter? Like I said earlier , anything bad / good can happen to anyone irrespective of karma .

sindmani and Sunshine04 like this.