1. How to Build Positivity in Married Life? : Click Here
    Dismiss Notice

Does financial independence alone help us chart our own course?

Discussion in 'Married Life' started by SoaringSpirit, Dec 14, 2007.

1. aishu22

aishu22 Gold IL'ite

Dear SS,
    I really wanted to give a serious thought about reading this post by you, so kept it aside until i had little extra time to do that.

Indeed hats off to you SS...A well written thought provoking post!:clap:clap:clap
    You have brought to the lime light(IL) that how we create a mental block in doing things and highly discriminate the actions performed.

I was so immersed in every line of this post and was lost in thoughts...after reading this post..:bowdown to you SS..

hey..wats ur real name?? If interested please disclose...no compulsions..just out of curiosity....

2. SoaringSpirit

SoaringSpirit Silver IL'ite

Dear Ramya,
    Thanks for a nice and detailed reply! Your last paragraph listing the strengths of us women, sums it all up. We should be proud of ourselves and remember to revisit these strengths often in our minds. Thanks for putting them so nicely.

I completely agree with your views on Feminist movements. Personally, I feel at times women’s liberation is taken to an unwanted extreme where the original intent of the movement is lost. It just becomes a fight for the heck of fighting. I think as mature individuals we women must take stock of what we really set out to achieve and if we are going in the right direction.

Sometimes we women unknowingly multiply our problems by letting ego and unreasonableness drive our battles without having the emotional strength to back up our actions. In my observation in most cases the unreasonable fighting is not intentional. It comes from being suppressed for too long or completely handing over our well being in some one else’s hands (spouse, in-laws etc). In both these cases, we women end up feeling helpless if things don’t go as per our expectations. So when we are suddenly given a chance to fight, we tend to overdo it.

That’s why I think as human beings, regardless of gender, we must all be taught to take responsibility for what happens to us in life. I think once we women realize that our life is our own making and that we have as much control over it as men do on their life, we will automatically feel more empowered without having to fight or argue. We will then be much more mindful of our thoughts and actions because we will know that anything that we do plays a huge role in how our life shapes up.

Thanks for enriching this thread with your views.
    SS

3. SoaringSpirit

Dear Malathi,

Thanks for the best wishes!

I can absolutely visualize the scenario you have mentioned. Isn’t it weird that inspite of education and financial stability, we tend to take a back seat when it comes to participating in decisions that affect our life?

One may question, what has attending a meeting or speaking up during the meeting got to do with how we handle our life? I think if we honestly reflect on it a little bit we will agree that this behavior is connected to how we generally handle things in life. Not necessarily always and in all situations, but probably most of the time. If we tend to be passive participants in most things that happen around us, we automatically tend to follow this passive nature in most of our dealings. Nothing wrong with this passive behavior as long as we don’t carry it everywhere and in every situation. Some situations are better handled being passive but others require our active participation.

That’s why we need to think and reflect hard on what we do and why we do it and whether this is really what we meant to do. All our actions have a consequence. For this reason we must pay great attention to our thought process because it is the thoughts that bring about actions.

Thanks Malathi for bringing to fore such an important facet of emotional independence with such a simple incident.
    SS

4. RamyaVaradharajan

RamyaVaradharajan Bronze IL'ite

Dear Soaring Spirit ma'am,

Very true. Many a time, the purpose behind such movements is lost and we end up in a blind alley. The parameters for such movements are not well described and as you had rightly put it, they are taken up for "the heck of raising one's voice". There is no such thing called as an "anticipated aim" that could form the back-bone of our voices. IF we realize, time is a major constrain ! And within the set time, we can bring to the fore-front our potentials and the dormant energy when utilized in a constructive way, will leave all of us spell-bound. The vacuous mind should be weeded out with evolutionary experience, thereby increasing the likeliness of us being the conquerers.

We ourselves are responsible for dumping us deep in hardships. Yes, unintentionally we affect our own course of life. Always i keep in mind that "am the master of my own self"; if this philosophy is well understood and put to practice, gender differences and emotional imbalances can be thrown to thrash !!

Thank you for your encouragement. Many hearty regards and congratulations for having "won" the FP of January !! ("Even otherwise you have "won" with all your "wise":clap feedbacks here at IL".. Way to go ma'am)

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

5. SoaringSpirit

Dear Aishu,
    Thank you so much for the generous praise. It means a lot to me to know that my post appealed to you.

This is one of several topics I feel very passionately about because I believe that it is these early seeds of discrimination we sow that lead to so much discontent and unhappiness latter on in life. I think that it is extremely important to equip our kids with the right mindset; other good things will automatically follow.

Thank you for taking special time out for reflecting on something I feel so much for. You all have made this thread so rich by your FBs! Thanks my friend.

Dear Ramya,
    I totally agree with you that time is of great essence. So why waste our time on something that is not worthwhile. Instead we must focus our energies on bettering ourselves.

Thanks once again for your generous praise for my posts! It is the FBs from all of you that make this thread and my posts interesting.

SS

6. Shanvy

Shanvy IL Hall of Fame

SS,

I felt, It is high time I come in and break my silence on this point right.

I learnt to be strong from my childhood. I fought with doctors at the age of 9 to save my dad's life. (My mom was not educated much). so there necessity charted my strength. being only daughters and no son..we were always looked down by relatives ..being strong and stubborn and wanting to prove that I am no where lesser than my male counterparts is something that has gone in my blood stream.

emotional Independence/freedom is a mind set up. You need to feel it in you. nobody can make you feel independent. Agreed the society is at fault for putting those fears...

Let me tell you one incident..this incident changed my attitude of being silent, and taking things in my hand, and being brave....

I was 17 (this is almost 20 years back), I had come to vacation in another state and was going back to my College in another state. I had to travel 26 hours by train. I was travelling alone. There was this guy who was watching me...when it was becoming dark..he came and sat opposite me...and started playing with himself... and the people around me just kept a blind eye..nobody said anything... I kept quiet until the next station...and there called up railway police and complained.they took him off the train..If I was sitting there waiting some hero will come to help me, i would have sat there for life..in real life there are no heroes. I never went back to my parents regarding this incident. the confidence I got that day made me believe I can handle any situation come what may....

It was not taught by my parents. my parents made me learn to be independent...they always used to say that it is better to believe in the strength of your hands than the borrowed hands...

We say we are modern, ultramodern, we want dating everything but when it comes to our emotion freedom, we are still lagging behind....The moment you feel proud of yourself as a person, then comes in the satisfaction of being a woman,a mother,wife everything.

We need to break free of our emotional shackles...

I know of a lot of working women, who are in emotional shambles and lack the courage.

I treat my daughter and son equally. If I son cries i don't say don't cry like a girl, I just say even girls today are braver..they don't cry .....If there is a job which my son says is girlie, he gets to do it a few times, for him to come out of that mind setup.

I teach them both, that though there may be physical differences, you are equal. And I am a role model for lot of my relatives, my children and neighbours. I can handle lot of things,in certain places better than my male counterparts.

I think we as women, need to instill this in this generation and also in our future generation.

7. RamyaVaradharajan

Dear most Shanthi ma'am,

Very aptly said. We can handle better than what we think we can. The live example that you had quoted speaks the attitude in your veins. The example reminds me of the daily routine that I used to experience in the local MTCs which I take to reach my destination (home to college and vice versa). The indifferent behavior portrayed by the other gender, I should say, has molded me (with the courage and vigor to tackle the same myself with a few self-defense steps) to what I am today. I hope, the circumstance in a heavily crowded bus in our town need not be explained with letters and words. We should know where to be submissive and where to raise our voice.
    A draconian punishment is what I would suggest for all such crimes in order to bring about a healthy environment.

Emotional independence, as you had rightly said Shanthi ma'am, should be felt within and cannot be inculcated from an external source. Emotions always contradict cognition (the philosophy of reasoning). We fail to act wise when emotions fill us. There again, we need to be independent enough to tackle what has to be tackled and to bring to the fore front that "we are what we are" !!

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan

8. SoaringSpirit

Dear Shanthi,
    Thanks for stepping in and penning down your views. You have added another wonderful dimension to this thread by bringing to light yet another angle - the self-starter angle!

Firstly, kudos to you for being ahead of your times, taking on challenges that girls would usually shy away from and overcoming them successfully! No wonder you are a role model for people around you.

I could not agree with you more about the fact that any kind of independence or any trait in our personality for that matter, has to come from within us. No questions about that. If we do not take it upon ourselves to change ourselves then no matter how much anyone tries to teach or influence us, it does not work.

Having agreed to that, I do believe that our upbringing and the environment around us play a huge role in our mental make up.

I don’t think that society makes or breaks a person. Because eventually we learn to break away from these shackles if the situation demands it. This is how we humans are. We do whatever it takes to survive.

But by giving our children a conducive environment, we are giving them a jump start and a solid foundation to build the much needed emotional independence. As parents that’s what we can do – to give them a platform to build their strengths.

In your case for example, being a girl only household and being scorned by relatives put that fire in you to prove them otherwise. It is a fact that circumstances propel people to excel in a lot of things and give them that extra push to develop that remarkable mental strength. Of course there are people who get wasted when they are faced with a challenge. But we are talking about reasonably strong people here. I come from an all girl household too with very liberal parents and I too have that fire in me to fight. I think our set-up and circumstances played a role in bringing about this fighting spirit in us.

Surely, we have to have it in us to surpass all of the challenges but it is also fortunate that we got an opportunity to prove our mettle by being posed with those tough situations early on in life.

On the other hand there are many households that don’t have to face extremely tough challenges early on in life. In these households the kids don’t get a platform to build that strength because they have never been posed with a situation that warrants it. This is where the environment at home becomes very crucial, especially, when there is a girl and a boy in the house.
    I do not think any parent deliberately tries to instill dependency in their child. It just so happens that in some households the environment at home does not specifically emphasize on building the independent streak in the child’s personality. Again, this is not intentional in most cases but it just so happens that there are no attenuating circumstances that force them to pay great attention to these unsaid lessons that go a long way in building certain personality traits.

What you are doing at home in raising your son and daughter is exactly what is needed. Both genders should be given equal encouragement to explore and do everything in life without categorizing them into male and female domain. I feel this is the best gift any parent can give their kids. This will go a long way in making them the balanced individuals that we all like to have around us.

I am so happy to see so much thought going into this and so many views being expressed. It has added so much to my own thought process and given me so many more dimensions to mull over.

Thank you my friends!
    SS

9. SoaringSpirit

Dear Ramya,

I loved your last sentence "we are what we are"! I think this one sentence sums up all that we fight for. As soon as we are comfortable in our own skin, things will automatically start falling in place.

SS

10. RamyaVaradharajan

Dear Soaring Spirit ma'am,

Thank you.

Yes, the moral constitution of our self plays a vital role. Being functional at all different levels will aid us to shape principles. Thereby we shall walk on the "chalked line" to portray a "better self" !!!

Regards
    RamyaVaradharajan